Kraton Pinion change on kraton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi folks I am trying to change my pinion on my Kraton but can't seem to get it off the motor any suggestions to help will be great cheers
14833879700991054504491.jpg
1483388015082-1214781671.jpg

Is that the little screw in the pinion if so it is out .

Not done this myself yet, but read quite a few posts about this where people have had similar issues.

Remove the motor mount, with motor still attached, then you can masking tape the mount up to avoid unnecessary damage and try to prise it off. You could put it in a vice also and pull on the assembly to remove it.

Best option is a pinion puller - quick google, they are built for this exact situation.

I would first try removing the assembly and prising it off - try using a soldering iron and applying some heat to the pinion/motor shaft also to loosen things up.

Not done this myself yet, but read quite a few posts about this where people have had similar issues.

Remove the motor mount, with motor still attached, then you can masking tape the mount up to avoid unnecessary damage and try to prise it off. You could put it in a vice also and pull on the assembly to remove it.

Best option is a pinion puller - quick google, they are built for this exact situation.

I would first try removing the assembly and prising it off - try using a soldering iron and applying some heat to the pinion/motor shaft also to loosen things up.
Cheers will give it a go in the morning fingers crossed.

The shaft is thicker at the end...like not flat all the way out. So it will get stuck on the end....grind it down and it will be no problem
Think that might be a must do after I get it off cheers

Known issue here. It's called red loctite. Basically cements the metal on metal parts. I had a lot of luck with holding the soldering iron on it for at least 5 minutes and was able to get them off.

Known issue here. It's called red loctite. Basically cements the metal on metal parts. I had a lot of luck with holding the soldering iron on it for at least 5 minutes and was able to get them off.
My buddy said the same, Arrma or any other company should never use red Loctite, if mine does, im sending it back to Arrma.

Lol I just ordered a pinion puller as don't want to damage anything cheers .
Ok..it shouldnt damage it..but its up to you. Thanks

I always remove motor and center diff from truck first. I usually remove center diff from motor mount so heat doesn't melt any plastics, heat the crap out of pinion with heat gun until red locker starts smoking lightly/melting, then use large flathead screwdriver to leverage pinion off using motor mount as leverage point. As long as pinion grub is out and locker is softened/melted enough, pinion will slide off motor shaft. Make sure to heat all metal to metal screws with hot soldering iron or you will likely struggle/strip them.

I always remove motor and center diff from truck first. I usually remove center diff from motor mount so heat doesn't melt any plastics, heat the crap out of pinion with heat gun until red locker starts smoking lightly/melting, then use large flathead screwdriver to leverage pinion off using motor mount as leverage point. As long as pinion grub is out and locker is softened/melted enough, pinion will slide off motor shaft. Make sure to heat all metal to metal screws with hot soldering iron or you will likely struggle/strip them.
Cheers for the advice buddy but have ordered a pinion puller so hopefully that should do the job nice and easy

Cheers for the advice buddy but have ordered a pinion puller so hopefully that should do the job nice and easy
Yeah I read that. Not to pour dirt in your coffee, but my pinion was so tightly thread-cemented with red locker to the motor shaft, I'd still have used heat whether I was using a pinion puller or not. Yes, not exaggerating. I'd be concerned about damaging my can or something on the motor by not softening locker first, may be totally wrong here, but my entire shaft and inside of pinion was caked with evil red stuff. Hope it goes easier for you. It's too bad we have to discuss extreme measures for otherwise simple repairs. Hope Arrma has changed this frustrating practice. Red locker is meant for 1/1 auto applications not RC! Let us know how she goes, I'm curious. Definitely like working smarter not harder, especially when small tools and surface areas are involved.

Yeah I read that. Not to pour dirt in your coffee, but my pinion was so tightly thread-cemented with red locker to the motor shaft, I'd still have used heat whether I was using a pinion puller or not. Yes, not exaggerating. I'd be concerned about damaging my can or something on the motor by not softening locker first, may be totally wrong here, but my entire shaft and inside of pinion was caked with evil red stuff. Hope it goes easier for you. It's too bad we have to discuss extreme measures for otherwise simple repairs. Hope Arrma has changed this frustrating practice. Red locker is meant for 1/1 auto applications not RC! Let us know how she goes, I'm curious. Definitely like working smarter not harder, especially when small tools and surface areas are involved.
I couldn't agree more with that pal , well good news all done I was to inpatient to wait for the puller to arrive so went with a good old fashioned lighter and after a few hot finger tips she slid straight off , can't wait to take her out now and see the difference.

I couldn't agree more with that pal , well good news all done I was to inpatient to wait for the puller to arrive so went with a good old fashioned lighter and after a few hot finger tips she slid straight off , can't wait to take her out now and see the difference.
That's awesome! I've been reluctant to try the lighter, guess it works well. How long did you have to heat it? PS you will enjoy running geared up, especially during colder months when ambient temps help keep electronics cool. My stock little pinions will never see any use on these rigs, simply too small/slow for my tastes. You get more contact area with more teeth and I find that makes setting gear mesh much easier overall. We'll see come summer time about temps. Sometimes gets well over 100 F here near Sacramento, CA.

That's awesome! I've been reluctant to try the lighter, guess it works well. How long did you have to heat it? PS you will enjoy running geared up, especially during colder months when ambient temps help keep electronics cool. My stock little pinions will never see any use on these rigs, simply too small/slow for my tastes. You get more contact area with more teeth and I find that makes setting gear mesh much easier overall. We'll see come summer time about temps. Sometimes gets well over 100 F here near Sacramento, CA.
It didn't take that long I did it in two stages applied heat for about 20secends to the front off the pinion , then I slid it about half way off before reapplying the heat this time over the hole where the grub goes for about another 20 secs then it just popped off . The temperature is not that much off a issue for me here in Manchester UK more wet than warm .

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back