Kraton Pinion change

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
Here is the Tekno 23t pinion on the Kraton 8s. We used a bearing and 2 shims to fill the gap between the top side of the pinion and where the e clip goes ??? Much thanks to @RC DUDE81 for the heads up!

20191124_091931.jpg
20191124_091944.jpg

20191124_092331.jpg

It takes a Mod 1 size. But yes, 23 tooth Robinson Racing. Luckily my LHS had one. :giggle:

please put videos on how to replace it and what else is needed and link to purchased it. You got the best BASH award! LOL

Last edited:
RRP and Tekno have the best Mod1 pinions out there.
Any news on when Arrma will release their unique 1/5 pinions?:LOL:

@bicketybam nice man what are the dimensions of the bearing and shim? I will probably do the same. I'm assuming the 23t gave you a lot better control in the air since you can get the wheels spinning better for corrections? I honestly think if Arrma hadn't undergeared it so much from the factory there would be less people with durability issues because they wouldn't be nose diving as much as it looks like the early access folks are.

Edit: as a follow up how do you calculate estimated top speed with that idler gear?

@bicketybam nice man what are the dimensions of the bearing and shim? I will probably do the same. I'm assuming the 23t gave you a lot better control in the air since you can get the wheels spinning better for corrections? I honestly think if Arrma hadn't undergeared it so much from the factory there would be less people with durability issues because they wouldn't be nose diving as much as it looks like the early access folks are.

Edit: as a follow up how do you calculate estimated top speed with that idler gear?
The bearing has an inside diameter of 5mm. OD will depend on the pinion you use. Not sure how thick it is. Just okay around with what you have laying around. Wish I could be of more help but I didn't measure anything. As far as calculatig speed, all I can figure is that on a 17t is does 39 mph and on a 23t it does 53 mph. You can't use a traditional spreadsheet because of the reduction gears. I can tell you how to figure the internal gearing. You need to multiply your pinion/"spur" ratio by 2.79. 2.79 represents the ratio of the diff spur and the small reduction gear. Stock 17t nets and internal gear ratio of 7.71. A 23t pinion nets an internal gear ratio of 5.70. To calculate the final drive ratio you multiply the internal gear ratio by the differential ratio which is 3.25 (39÷12). Stock final drive ratio is 25.06. with a 23t pinion it is 18.525.

I tried using the bolospeed speed spreadsheet and I just fudged the pinion and spur numbers to come up with the internal gear ratio I am using but the calculated speed is about 5 mph than reality. I can't figure out why.

The bearing has an inside diameter of 5mm. OD will depend on the pinion you use. Not sure how thick it is. Just okay around with what you have laying around. Wish I could be of more help but I didn't measure anything. As far as calculatig speed, all I can figure is that on a 17t is does 39 mph and on a 23t it does 53 mph. You can't use a traditional spreadsheet because of the reduction gears. I can tell you how to figure the internal gearing. You need to multiply your pinion/"spur" ratio by 2.79. 2.79 represents the ratio of the diff spur and the small reduction gear. Stock 17t nets and internal gear ratio of 7.71. A 23t pinion nets an internal gear ratio of 5.70. To calculate the final drive ratio you multiply the internal gear ratio by the differential ratio which is 3.25 (39÷12). Stock final drive ratio is 25.06. with a 23t pinion it is 18.525.

I tried using the bolospeed speed spreadsheet and I just fudged the pinion and spur numbers to come up with the internal gear ratio I am using but the calculated speed is about 5 mph than reality. I can't figure out why.
Cool thanks. I was trying to get around the idler gear style setup and couldn't get it right. I was thinking about trying to get it geared so that a 6s setup would hit 40, and swapping to 8s would hit around 55. I thinnnk a 23 would do this without heat issues on either voltage? Do you think the cars weight merits an ec5 connector or will xt90 work? Every car I have is xt90 and I like having everything the same. But if it really does need a better amp rated connector I'll get some ec5 charge leads. Also happy Thanksgiving

Cool thanks. I was trying to get around the idler gear style setup and couldn't get it right. I was thinking about trying to get it geared so that a 6s setup would hit 40, and swapping to 8s would hit around 55. I thinnnk a 23 would do this without heat issues on either voltage? Do you think the cars weight merits an ec5 connector or will xt90 work? Every car I have is xt90 and I like having everything the same. But if it really does need a better amp rated connector I'll get some ec5 charge leads. Also happy Thanksgiving
I'm running XT90's ?

I have seen XT90s disconnect - never have seen EC5s disconnect ... hence EC5 it is on my cars, helicopters, quads - pretty much everywhere
I always just put a single strip of electrical tape on the esc side adaptor and it adds just enough more tightness and friction that they don't come undone except in a big crash.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back