Kraton Pinion gear completely stuck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
I am trying to remove the now borked pinion gear on my V5 K6S. Well that sucker is stuck completely. The set screw was pretty loose and I took that out and the safety clip was missing (anyone have any ideas what size/type that is so I can grab a few?). Even with a pair of pliers I cannot pull the pinion off at all. Any ideas?

Got it. The pinion had rotated on the flat edge of the shaft and got stuck. I was able to get some jaws on the pinion and pliers on the shaft and line the flat side back up and yank enough to get it off. Is the little black cylinder that flew off a spacer between the motor and the pinion? Now just to hunt down what the clip is.

Wow it rotated ? Isn't that a SafeD pinion with a flat side?
No idea what size c-clip but it's a 5mm shaft. I stopped using the c-clips, my quick answer it's a 5mm c-clip.

Got it. The pinion had rotated on the flat edge of the shaft and got stuck. I was able to get some jaws on the pinion and pliers on the shaft and line the flat side back up and yank enough to get it off. Is the little black cylinder that flew off a spacer between the motor and the pinion? Now just to hunt down what the clip is.
It was the crush washer for the pinion so if it comes lose it doesn't grind into the motor mount.

It was the crush washer for the pinion so if it comes lose it doesn't grind into the motor mount.

Figured, so just leave it between the pinion and motor right?

Wow it rotated ? Isn't that a SafeD pinion with a flat side?
No idea what size c-clip but it's a 5mm shaft. I stopped using the c-clips, my quick answer it's a 5mm c-clip.

Yep, a Safe-D pinion on a Safe-D shaft. It didn't rotate much, just enough to get it stuck. Gouged a bit of the pinion, but I don't see any damage on the shaft.

Edit: A pinion on the Arrma site claims it is a 3.2mm E-clip. How wonderfully specific of a size...

Figured, so just leave it between the pinion and motor right?

Yep, a Safe-D pinion on a Safe-D shaft. It didn't rotate much, just enough to get it stuck. Gouged a bit of the pinion, but I don't see any damage on the shaft.
yup goes between motor and gear so if the gear comes lose it can spin back into the motor and grind a nice spot on the motor mount. I don't have them and have a nice spot on my mount...pps mount too :mad: 🔥

C-clip is 5mm inner diameter and the 'mouth' is 3mm.
Just found a spare.
20210507_155013.jpg

Alright, got some E-clips on the way (3.2mm for a 5mm shaft in case anyone needs the info). For the price of a HR 50T spur gear and only 10 bucks more than a Arrma spur gear, I think I am just going to order a full center diff from Jenny's and swap the spur gears. That way I will have some extra internal gears for any of my diffs, since I think they all use the same stuff.

Cant imagine the HR spur is that better than stock really. Or maybe it is, or maybe I should just get a new spur since the diff internals aren't that expensive. Dunno, can't make up my mind.

I had the same issue with my pinion coming off, even though I used red thread locker on it. I am also waiting on eclips to come in. Seems almost everyone is out of that size, just like everything else lol

I had the same issue with my pinion coming off, even though I used red thread locker on it. I am also waiting on eclips to come in. Seems almost everyone is out of that size, just like everything else lol

Went to post a link where to find some and realized I'd bought the 2mm version! Thanks. The part number for the 3.2mm clip is ARA710006

Went to post a link where to find some and realized I'd bought the 2mm version! Thanks. The part number for the 3.2mm clip is ARA710006
Yeah, they are hard to find though. AMain had some Serpent 3.2mm clips in stock, so I ordered those hoping they will fit.

Back