Kraton Pinion gear destroyed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotflameboy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hello guys !

I've been owning the Kraton since yesterday, had a first nice and smooth run and loved it all the way. Problem started when i went into the fields and i shattered my pinion gear, my guess is that a stone slipped between the shaft and the pinion destroying it. I was kind of disappointed.
After that I installed the high speed pinion gear but for whatever reason it wont stand still, no matter how tight i screw it.

My question is, do you also have this problem ? And if not how do i fix it ?

I was also intending to buy a tougher pinion gear, which one do you recommend ?

Thanks !!

Attachments

• 42244394_293073948177893_8417423051552980992_n.jpg
    42244394_293073948177893_8417423051552980992_n.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 93
A small stone in the pinion/spur will wreak havoc , incorrect mesh of the pinion and spur will also cause early retirement. You need to use blue loctite on the grub screw and the bore in the pinion. Before you install the pinion clean the motor shaft & pinion gear (grub screw and threads in the pinion with brake cleaner. Apply a small amount of loctite to the grub screw pinion bore and motor shaft. Install and tighten. Leave it for about 12 hours before using. Make sure your mesh is set correctly. The motor screws will also need loctite. Many use Robinson racing pinions, I prefer Tekno. They have a larger grub screw and seem last longer (at least in my experience)

+1 on Tekno Gears, I like the larger screw, and I only put blue on the screw not the shaft. so far no issues.

honestly I did my research on the Kraton before I bought it and I never used the stock gears once, i put in Tekno right off the bat.

I have Spare Tekno Pinions and Extra Spur Gears (OEM). Gears are things you always want extras of.

Hello guys !

I've been owning the Kraton since yesterday, had a first nice and smooth run and loved it all the way. Problem started when i went into the fields and i shattered my pinion gear, my guess is that a stone slipped between the shaft and the pinion destroying it. I was kind of disappointed.
After that I installed the high speed pinion gear but for whatever reason it wont stand still, no matter how tight i screw it.

Thanks !!
Blue loc-tite. Let it dry and cure. Problem solved. I had the exact same issue. The patch that comes on new/stock pinions is nt enough. I used TLR Blue lock tite and have had no issues.

Thanks to all of you for your detailed answers and tips, i really appreciated !

I cleaned the shaft, the grub screw and everything and put a drop of blue on both and on my motor screws. Everything is tight and ready to dry for tomorrow, I'm excited !

I'll keep you posted on the result and order some Tekno Pinions to try them out.

Thanks to all of you for your detailed answers and tips, i really appreciated !

I cleaned the shaft, the grub screw and everything and put a drop of blue on both and on my motor screws. Everything is tight and ready to dry for tomorrow, I'm excited !

I'll keep you posted on the result and order some Tekno Pinions to try them out.

Make sure your mesh is set right. Don’t go tight. I always leave a little backlash.

A small stone in the pinion/spur will wreak havoc , incorrect mesh of the pinion and spur will also cause early retirement. You need to use blue loctite on the grub screw and the bore in the pinion. Before you install the pinion clean the motor shaft & pinion gear (grub screw and threads in the pinion with brake cleaner. Apply a small amount of loctite to the grub screw pinion bore and motor shaft. Install and tighten. Leave it for about 12 hours before using. Make sure your mesh is set correctly. The motor screws will also need loctite. Many use Robinson racing pinions, I prefer Tekno. They have a larger grub screw and seem last longer (at least in my experience)
It is highly recommended to let loctite set for at least 24 hours.
The stock pinions are known to be absolute garbage, neither of my stock pinions lasted more than a pack on 6s. Tekno or RRP at the least.

Hello guys !

Thanks !!

Use loctite on the screw and put the screw where the shaft is not round.

For the higher quality pinion gears use an arrowmax module one 5mm shaft with 12 teeth (or if you want to 14t)

I might be late to the party here, but if I can give you a tip, don't put threadlock straight between the motor shaft and the pinion because it might be a pain in the back to separate them again. When I bought my Kraton a month ago and I needed to remove the rear wheels' hexes, I had to fight to remove them because the threadlock they used from the factory on the screw that holds the pin, had leaked between the hexes and the shafts and basically bonded them. The only way they came off was with copious amounts of wd40 and two flat screwdrivers used to pry them off, which scratched the hexes pretty badly from the back.
What a nightmare it would be if you had a stuck pinion...

I might be late to the party here, but if I can give you a tip, don't put threadlock straight between the motor shaft and the pinion because it might be a pain in the back to separate them again. When I bought my Kraton a month ago and I needed to remove the rear wheels' hexes, I had to fight to remove them because the threadlock they used from the factory on the screw that holds the pin, had leaked between the hexes and the shafts and basically bonded them. The only way they came off was with copious amounts of wd40 and two flat screwdrivers used to pry them off, which scratched the hexes pretty badly from the back.
What a nightmare it would be if you had a stuck pinion...
In the future Johnny, a little heat from a soldering iron or a micro torch, will burn up some of that loctite, and help for when you try to loosen the screws.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back