Kraton Pinion Gear Grub Screw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackops

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
So question when I was tightening up the grub screw to hold in the pinion gear, when the hex head snapped off. So now I have a pinion gear that I am not sure I can run reliably. As I was just trying the 20T to see how it did compared to the 18T I been running.

What options do I have in order to remove the grub screw so I could remove the pinion gear?

So question when I was tightening up the grub screw to hold in the pinion gear, when the hex head snapped off. So now I have a pinion gear that I am not sure I can run reliably. As I was just trying the 20T to see how it did compared to the 18T I been running.

What options do I have in order to remove the grub screw so I could remove the pinion gear?
Set the pinion on a solid surface and hit it with a hammer sometimes the shock will make the broken part of the tip come out, I lucked out and it worked for me the one time I snapped my hex in a motor pinon. I'm assuming it is still on the motor which is why I said to set the pinon on a solid surface so you don't damage the motor shaft. Other wise your other option is going to be to drill it out, if your tip is snapped off inside might be easier said than done, or you might have to literally cut the pinion off with a cutt off wheel.

Just run it. Either two things will happen....the broken hex will fly out due to rotational force, or stay in. If the pinion is tight...then it works and you are stuck using the 20t for now. If it comes loose....well you win because you can just slide the pinion off.

Just run it or u could take motor out get a Dremel try cutting notch get it with flat head and or you can cut it off probably too if you had to. Best luck

@slick2500 , @HZRDOS @Jordan10R and @IRONWORKER thanks for all the ideas and thoughts do appreciate it.

Yeah I am not sure if I can get it off even if I wanted to. There is not much room to do the dremel cut/notch at all. I tried running just the motor but the piece did not come out at all. So I will have to try and run it in the car for some runs and see if it will come free.

@slick2500 in your recommendation what am I hitting with a hammer? Since the only thing that I can think I could hit with a hammer is the actual motor since not sure how you would hit the pinion if it is flat on the table.

@slick2500 , @HZRDOS @Jordan10R and @IRONWORKER thanks for all the ideas and thoughts do appreciate it.

Yeah I am not sure if I can get it off even if I wanted to. There is not much room to do the dremel cut/notch at all. I tried running just the motor but the piece did not come out at all. So I will have to try and run it in the car for some runs and see if it will come free.

@slick2500 in your recommendation what am I hitting with a hammer? Since the only thing that I can think I could hit with a hammer is the actual motor since not sure how you would hit the pinion if it is flat on the table.
Yea u can just cut it all the way to the shaft on the set screw. Just keep cutting it to the shaft. You got it. I have done it bunch of times .

Sorry I should have explained better. Set it on the table like this and hit the pinion with the hammer. Don't go beast mode on it though so you don't damage the pinion. Maybe point the grub screw down, the shock can dislodge the driver tip. I've only ever done it once and it just happened to work.

20210812_234434.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back