Pinion Gear & Motor Heat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Contrakt

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Mojave
Wait wait wait....

I always thought that if you run on a higher tooth pinion, let’s use the 6s BLX system for example’s sake... out of the box it’s got a 15 or 16 tooth (sorry haven’t looked yet) pinion... and it says to not use the high speed pinion for bashing because of potential overheating of the motor. This is all knowledge I’m well aware of... the part that confuses me is this little bit of writing that caught my eye when I was glazing over the paperwork for my new Mojave, “Motors and ESCs will get hot during use, especially in high-speed, high load, LOW GEARED running.” Wait wait wait I thought your motor was better off with a 13 tooth than with a 20 tooth. Am I totally off base?

It’s funny, actually, because I have the BLX 185 system in my Big Rock Crew Cab and I have it paired with the 13T pinion, after not nearly quite a full battery of general running in 55 degree weather, I was getting power cut off from what I can only assume was overheating. The batteries weren’t in LVC and it spooked me. I was like wait wtf? It’s geared way down and still overheated with just some general running around the park? How is it even possible to use with a 15 or 20 tooth then???

Someone care to enlighten me?

Yeah, doesn't sound right to me either. I suspect a typo.

There is also advice in the Kraton 6S manual on running it in... so I wouldn't pay too much attention to the blurb.

The 55deg weather is probably the main reason..

Brushless motors are weird, they can overheat when spinning without load. I had a light short course truck, when I upgraded to brushless it actually ran cooler with a 21t then the stock 19t. Go figure. Not sure it can be a problem with the beefier drivetrain of a 6s rig, it takes some energy to spin it up even with the tires in the air.

Btw that's why you don't spin a BL motor unloaded for too long, heat builds up quick, and you can over rev it too.

But the way they put it does sound like someone messed up writing the manual though.

You can over rev a motor with too low of gearing. In the case where you gear up, you likely won’t use the entire throttle range as often.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back