Pinion Gear Questions for Granite 4x4 3S BLX

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Granite 4x4 3S BLX

Hey Guys,

Attached are some pictures of my stock 15T pinion gear that came with the Granite. Looks stripped to me no? I had to drill out the set screw to get it out, pain in the butt, you can see the collateral damage to the top of the motor. I've gone through 3 composite spur gears so far so upgraded to steel. I am currently looking to order a new pinion. Running into some compatibility questions.

1. Seems the lower tooth numer I go I'll lose a little bit of top speed (thats fine) but the motor will run cooler and I might get more life out of my batteries (great). I was looking at a 13T.

2. Several different options on amazon, I want to make sure I get the right size. Would a 32P 15T 1\8in hole work? P is the pitch of the gears? T is obviously number of teeth, hole is obviously the size of the hole for the motor driveshaft, what size hole and P is the stock granite gearing?

3. What does mod 0.8 indicate?

4. I see 12T's available but the motor mount only has holes for 13,15,20,26. Am I bound to those sizes only?

5. Side question, if I'm in sand most of the time should my slipper clutch be as tight as possible or a little looser than that to allow for play.

**I am aware i'll need to mesh the new pinion to the spur gear, from what I've read make sure the gears are at the same level and set it. Any advice there would be appreciated too.
*** Went black with the wheels, what do you think?

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMG_1205.jpg
    IMG_1205.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_1204.jpg
    IMG_1204.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1202.jpg
    IMG_1202.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1199.jpg
    IMG_1199.jpg
    962.3 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
I don't have a 3s but I believe you need a 0.8, 5mm pinion. Robinson racing or Tekno is best. In order to be able to set the mesh or run whatever pinion size you like, you need an adjustable motor mount. Arrma has one (ARAC 7006). I'm sure there are others too. Mesh should be set so you hear a very slight click when the pinion is stationary and you gently rock the spur forward and back. Too loose and it will quickly wear the ends of the teeth and strip. Too tight and it will have a high pitched whine along with increased wear on the teeth and possibly the motor bearings. Along with possible higher motor temps. Depending on how much too tight it is. It takes some feel and can be difficult to get it right till you have done it a few times. Not sure about slipper setting for sand. Never ran on it. It's definitely a bearing killer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back