Kraton Pinion Gear Recommendation?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackops

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Slowly getting the build assembled for my Kraton 6S EXB chassis with the Castle Creations Mamba 8S ESC and 1717 motor, powered by 6S battery.

For the pinion gear anyone have a suggestion for where to start with my setup?

I saw some post earlier and people said 15T but then some people were talking 19T-23T depending on the temperature outside.

Just not sure whether to start at but was thinking 15T 🤷🏼‍♂️

Since I have run into nothing but thermal shutdown issues with my Maxx after putting on a slightly bigger tires. And even dripping 4T it still goes into thermal shutdown after 15 mins.

Thanks

Well looks like it will be 17T or 20T since that is the closest I have in that range for the Kraton. Have everything from 12T to 17T range covered at least.

Guess we will start with 17T for now.
I started with a 20T in mine and temps creep up mid pack. On 17T it will be a little slow, but temps shouldn’t be an issue all day.

So with the pinon gear cant recall, when increasing tooth count that increases speed and decreasing will increase low end torque?

So with the pinon gear cant recall, when increasing tooth count that increases speed and decreasing will increase low end torque?
Increasing tooth count increases the top end speed, but slower out of the gate. Lower tooth could give more power down low but a slower top speed.

So I started with 18T and decided you know what let me try 20T just to see what it could do.
Had a question

1. Should it sound the same as the 18T? I am not sure I like the sound of it with it. It reminds me a of Ducati and there dry clutches (rattle sounding video). So I wonder if I have the mesh to far apart possibly.

2. What would be the max speed I should be seeing running the Castle 1717 and Monster Mamba 8S with a 6S 5000mah 100C pack? I tried running it with the GPS and it was showing 40mph, it did not seem right at all.

So just trying to figure things out and figured what others think.

Last edited:
OK, so right now I am running my spare motor the Hobby Wing 4985 (1650kv) motor since my Castle 1717 (1650kv) is out at Castle for warranty work. Since I no longer have a 20T pinion I decided I am going to see what a 21T pinion would do. I ran the car several times with the GPS module and it would only get to 45mph. My 4S Maxx is getting 50mph on some extremely low low low gearing.

So is something wrong? Shouldnt it be getting a larger max speed on a 21T pinion?

And for shits and grins I took off the Backflip 6S tires and put on the smaller Backflip LPs and was like maybe it was the biggest tires. Nope, with the LPs on it got 42mph 🤷🏼‍♂️

59T is the stock spur/center diff gear right? So 46T is aftermarket?
Yeah something just doesn't seem right.

Stock center diff is 50T on the Kraton, The Felony is stock 46T, which can work on the stock motor mount on the Kraton.
Thanks appreciate it. So the 46T is option part for the Kraton 👍
The only reason i got a 46t spur is i ran a 26t pinion for a cpl 6s speedruns.
Gotcha, makes sense. I figured what I was doing with the 50T would with though but didn't seem like it. Oh well I may just go back to 18T to get a little more low end power. Just wanted to try to see fast I could get it going for a speed run. Figured it would be way faster than my Maxx.

If you want to see what your speed will be this site helps a lot: https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/information/rc-calculators/rc-car-calculator
just subtract 1 cell from your total battery cell count to account for voltage droop.

Stock specs:
Motor KV: 2050
Pinion # teeth: 12 (Speed gear 15t)
Spur #: 50
Diff Pinion #: 10
Diff Spur: 43
Tire Diameter (mm): 169 (Stock Copperhead2 MT)
speed calc kraton stock.png

With Speed Pinion:
speed calc kraton stock Speed Pinion.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back