Pinion Gear shavings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SomeDumbBum

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I just received my first arrma vehicle it is the arrma Typhon. I immediately put in the high speed pioion gear and started breaking in the motor with about half throttle on the street. When I was done running it I saw what appeared to be tiny metal shavings. My gear mesh seems to be set fine except for about 1/8 of the spur gear is tighter on the pinion then the rest of it I was wondering if this might be causing what appears to be tiny shavings or is this normal? To the touch they do not feel like metal shavings it's more powdery and very fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-22-22-30-59.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-22-22-30-59.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 80
I just received my first arrma vehicle it is the arrma Typhon. I immediately put in the high speed pioion gear and started breaking in the motor with about half throttle on the street. When I was done running it I saw what appeared to be tiny metal shavings. My gear mesh seems to be set fine except for about 1/8 of the spur gear is tighter on the pinion then the rest of it I was wondering if this might be causing what appears to be tiny shavings or is this normal? To the touch they do not feel like metal shavings it's more powdery and very fine.

Its hard to tell from the picture, i cant see the spur gear and the pinion looks not too bad. There are a couple of things you could check after i noticed these on my Talion.

1. I found that the screws holding the spur to the centre diff were rubbing on the motor mount so i shimmed the diff forward a little.

2. The grub screw on the pinion would catch somewhere on the motor mount if the pinion was placed too far back on the motor shaft, so i had to place it slightly farther forward than i would like.

Both of these instances caused tiny amounts of shavings for me, although not on the scale you have but it might be worth a look.

RCpete, Thanks for your reply. I was checking those two things that you were talking about and noticed my gear mesh and it get too tight apparently when I tightened it down I lost my mesh I have it fixed right I will get it cleaned up and see if we're good to go. Thanks again

RCpete, Thanks for your reply. I was checking those two things that you were talking about and noticed my gear mesh and it get too tight apparently when I tightened it down I lost my mesh I have it fixed right I will get it cleaned up and see if we're good to go. Thanks again

Aahh, a tight mesh will certainly cause problems, thought the mesh was ok so never even thought of that. Im glad it was an easy fix tho.....time to get out bashing!!!

Yes sir indeed. My Outcast is arriving today so it will be getting most of the attention.

Nice one, the Outcast looks awesome.....expensive over here in Britain.....just under £500! for what is essentially a typhon with Kraton Arms and a MT body. Still want one tho lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back