Talion Pinion gear size and heat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sledgehog

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
I'm gonna have to up my pinion for the 1/8 track I run on in the spring/summer. Most of the guys there all run a 17t on their rigs but they are all on Tekin electronics mostly. One of the guys there was running a 15t but it's a big track and he was having trouble clearing the huge doubles. He went up to an 17t but also got a new motor/esc combo so he wasn't sure on the heat on the stock stuff. Going to grab a Tekno 17t pinion but I have a few quick questions if anyone can answer them.

#1 Anyone have any idea how the stock motor is going to handle the heat, mind you I'm currently only running on a 4s as per class restriction (SMC 7400mhz 149amps 90c). I'll prob end up grabbing a Yeah Racing dual fan for the motor as well for this which leads me to question...
#2 If I do grab a 6s for general fun-running, will the cooler do the job or am I going to have to lower the pinion back down to the 13t when doing so.

Thanks in advance!

Someone must have an idea? I know some of you have tossed that hi-speed 20t in there. How well did the stock stuff hold up on a longer run than just a speed run pass?

Anyone? 1C6963224-ss-110805-teachers-beuller.fit-760w.jpg Anyone?

Someone must have an idea? I know some of you have tossed that hi-speed 20t in there. How well did the stock stuff hold up on a longer run than just a speed run pass?

Anyone?View attachment 24802 Anyone?
I’ve been running 15t with no overheating issues on mine. No additional fan just stock fan on receiver. I check motor temps after runs w nitro IR temp and it’s never been hot enough to concern me. Even in the summer.

I settled on a Tekno 16t for now and I picked up the Yeah Racing dual tornado cooler so I shouldn't have any issues, specially on the 4s on the track. I was mostly concerned with if I went up to a 6s for bashing, if I would have to replace the pinion every time I went between the two.

Thanks for the response! It's always nice to have suspicions confirmed :D

I'll let ya know for sure. I actually wanted to go up to a 17t but I'll wait to see how it handles the big doubles and whatnot on the 16t. :)

I have 16t yet to install on Talion. I also have a couple motor fans yet also. I use 5400 or less SMC 6s packs for bashing so I just planned to monitor often and adjust from there. Im on grass too but so far no trouble with heat as long as I stay around 5000mah.

My 4s for the races is an smc 7400mah 90c but I won't be running it the full length of the pack for sure. I'll most likely pick up around a 5000mah 50c 6s for bashing. My traxxas batteries I use in my stampede and rustler are both 5000mah and I hardly ever hit the lvc on those so I should be golden.

Again, thanks for the responses guys. This has been extremely helpful.

I am running 16t pinion with 6s on my V2 talion with huge pro line trenchers so it's basically monster truck now and I love it. Great speed, flips easily wheelies at any speed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back