pinion gear won't fit the motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostcoastwizard

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello, just learning all the ins and outs of rc's so I can sell them better at my shop. I love the crap out of rc cars and I'm finally in a place in my life to get stuff that I've always wanted. Looking for some help running to simple upgrade problems that I'm having a hard time googling!

So, I've got the 2s typhon (green body) cause I think it's the most beautiful rc buggy design I've ever seen. It's just so damn pretty. However, it wasn't quick enough at the bike jumps for me.

I bought a brushless motor (Arrma BLX 3200kv four pole) and an appropriate esc (blx 100 esc) . Problem was I didn't know motors don't come with pinion gears so I didn't buy one! Didn't find out til I went to put the stock brushed motor pinion gear on the new motor, but the thing was too small to fit the shaft. AND THEN, I went to buy one, saw a suggested 17 tooth pinion gear as a recommendation on another forum, got super excited, bought it, assumed it would fit the shaft (didn't check, just bought it, too excited, like I said), and that one was also too small. Big fail on my part.

These are my questions:

What are the bigger shaft sized pinion gears called so I can purchase the correct one next time?
Is it a 17 tooth pinion gear going to be safe for this motor and a stock typhon 2s body/chassis/diff/drive shaft?

120222874_764870877690773_7785712313031203406_n.jpg

120160554_791054011671472_1361715372384564858_n.jpg

The brushed motors come with a 3.5mm shaft and the brushless is a 5mm shaft.

Also, the brushed cars come with 48p gears and the brushless come with 0.8 Mod (32p) gears. You cannot mix these. They must match your spur gear. Change one type and change them both.

Hello, just learning all the ins and outs of rc's so I can sell them better at my shop. I love the crap out of rc cars and I'm finally in a place in my life to get stuff that I've always wanted. Looking for some help running to simple upgrade problems that I'm having a hard time googling!

So, I've got the 2s typhon (green body) cause I think it's the most beautiful rc buggy design I've ever seen. It's just so damn pretty. However, it wasn't quick enough at the bike jumps for me.

I bought a brushless motor (Arrma BLX 3200kv four pole) and an appropriate esc (blx 100 esc) . Problem was I didn't know motors don't come with pinion gears so I didn't buy one! Didn't find out til I went to put the stock brushed motor pinion gear on the new motor, but the thing was too small to fit the shaft. AND THEN, I went to buy one, saw a suggested 17 tooth pinion gear as a recommendation on another forum, got super excited, bought it, assumed it would fit the shaft (didn't check, just bought it, too excited, like I said), and that one was also too small. Big fail on my part.

These are my questions:

What are the bigger shaft sized pinion gears called so I can purchase the correct one next time?
Is it a 17 tooth pinion gear going to be safe for this motor and a stock typhon 2s body/chassis/diff/drive shaft?

View attachment 102103

View attachment 102104
16012998014074422576103026208475.jpg
mod 1 5mm bore. Like said above. Best luck

wait, I think I'm misunderstanding. I'm confusing a slipper set for a spur gear
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/steel-pinion-gear-17t-mod1-5mm/ARAC7778.html

Looks like the 13t is on back order. Is a 17 gonna be too much?
Spur gear is part of that slipper. You need the whole slipper assembly that you linked before. A 17T is too large IMO. Best to stay 15T or 13T. Look for Robinson Racing extra hard mod 0.8 pinions with 5mm bore.

Robinson Racing Products 8713 Hard Bore 0.8 Module Pinion Gear, 13T, 5mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019OJ660/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qKNDFbF9NMA7Y

Robinson Racing Products 8715 Hard Bore 0.8 Module Pinion Gear, 15T, 5mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019OHK2M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_zJNDFbFW7W92G

Welp, I waited for the parts and finally got the time to put em together so I can upgrade my typhon blx 4x4 to a brushless engine. Unfortunately for me, the spur gear is the correct tooth size for the pinion, but it is an incorrect fit for the slipper set. The slipper shaft is too long, so the center drive shaft doesn't fit. The hole is too big, and the metal parts of the slipper set do not fit around it. Did I purchase the wrong thing, or am I supposed use a slipper set and slipper shaft from a typhon 3s? There's gotta be something else I'm doing wrong that's not obvious to me.

The first image below is the slipper set and spur gear from a typhon 3s (57t) and the extra long slipper shaft that has the grooves for a screw on red nut and spring. If it looks weird its because I tried taking it apart and putting it back together in a way that it might fit, but it didn't.
The second image is the spur gear for a typhon 4x4

Here is the part that I think might go with the typhon 3s slipper set. It's a shorter version of the slipper shaft that comes with it.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/search?q=ARAC9102&search-button=&lang=default

And I imagine since I'm putting more power into a center drive shaft that isn't made for it, I'd need this piece from the typhon 3s as well?
https://www.horizonhobby.com/search?q=ARAC4024&search-button=&lang=default

Man, I really should have researched this more before starting! I couldn't imagine being one of my customers without the arrma forum support trying to do this. It would be a nightmare. I'm happy I'm learning all the pitfalls to help future folks but, next time I'll follow a youtube video or get like, a kit with all the pieces necessary to switch from brushed to brushless FOR SURE =p

121233202_2656966604613490_5175981599944637132_n.jpg

121292361_2766183246999544_2417421129664638847_n.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back