Kraton pinion gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimindo

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
  2. Granite
I know it say u will over heat ur motor and/or ESC for using the extra pinion gear. but my friend is using his for bashing on 3-4-6s and hasn't had anything wrong with his motor or ESC. Been over 15 runs with it. Will it actually effect his rc anytime and anyone recommend it? I'm thinking of trying it.

Stock the kraton has a 12t pinion. The 14t pinion wich is also in the box, and you can safely use it. Also offroad. 14t looks like the ideal point on 4s. 12t is waaay to undergeared.

I got my Kraton used, the 14T was already installed. I've been running it for a few months that way, no issues. Motor gets hot, but not too hot - about 140f, which is hot enough to feel like it will burn your fingers, but still within the safe range.

Get one of those $12 IR thermometers from Harbor Freight.

it does run much bettre on 14t but watch your temps. I was topping 200 yesterday befroe I shut it down.

14t, 5s lipo and it was very hot and dusty. Air temp was over 30 degrees celsius too.

Going to install a large heat sink or the Castle fan on both my Kraton & Typhon

Yes, its very easy. Also, big MOD 1 teeth are easy to set the mesh too. Don't forget blue lock tight on the grub screw!
As mentioned above, the 12t is way under geared in the Kraton. 14t on a stock truck with 4s and 6s is about a perfect all-around setup.

I mount and secure the pinion to the motor shaft and lightly snug the bolts that hold the motor to the motor mount. Just tight enough that you can still slide the motor with little force. Push the pinion all the way into the spur. Then start to slowly back the pinion off the spur until you have just a small amount of play when the teeth are at their apex. That small mount of back and forth play between teeth ensures there is no binding. You also notice there is still plenty of tooth engagement. When you're done, blue lock tight the screws and tighten the motor down.

I have mine set and the play is minimal but I still hear the clanking of the teeth when I rock the spur back and forth. Feels about how my 1/10 scales are with smaller teeth. I use one sheet of paper on the 1/10 with Delran spurs. Seems like 2 sheets of paper is good in these MOD-1 gears. I just like to hear what others like to do.

Yup, that is what I found. I always used one sheet of paper for 48p gears, but for this Mod1, that ends up sounding tight... 2 sheets of paper, and don't squeeze tight, and it is right on.

Yes, its very easy. Also, big MOD 1 teeth are easy to set the mesh too. Don't forget blue lock tight on the grub screw!
As mentioned above, the 12t is way under geared in the Kraton. 14t on a stock truck with 4s and 6s is about a perfect all-around setup.
OK thanks and now I'm trying to install the 14th pinion and so I need to reposition the motor

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back