Kraton Pinion Gear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackops

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Quick question what pinion gear do people recommend for the Kraton 6S?
I am looking for one and was wondering what size it is so I make sure I am getting the right one? It is a Mod1 with a 5mm bore correct?
I was looking at the Robinson Racing ones, just not sure what tooth size. Is there anything better than Robinson Racing that I should consider?

RR makes great pinions only thing better is Saga IMO. And yes mod 1 and 5mm bore. I'd suggest 14t maybe 13t if you just bash around and don't flip or need the air control.

RR makes great pinions only thing better is Saga IMO. And yes mod 1 and 5mm bore. I'd suggest 14t maybe 13t if you just bash around and don't flip or need the air control.
Thanks again buddy do appreciate your feedback in all my posts.
So quick question for you, is higher tooth count = faster speed and lower tooth count = more torque/power?
I cant recall.

So quick question for you, is higher tooth count = faster speed and lower tooth count = more torque/power?
I cant recall.

Yes, technically, but I'd never drop a tooth unless it was to reduce temps.

On my stock V5 Kraton I run a 15T pinion as long as ambient temps are below about 85F. I have dual 30mm fans and Backflips LP's though. Over 85F I'd need to drop a tooth. With Copperheads I need to drop 2 or 3.

I cant recall.
Yes higher tooth count is more speed, lower tooth count is more acceleration/torque. I prefer higher gearing for more air control on flips and of course a little more speed. As @Sargent_Horse said with higher gearing your motors going to run hotter so will need some good fans so you don't cook your motor or go really easy on the throttle.

I like Robinson Racing and Teckno gears probably because they seem to be the easiest for me to purchase. I also run either a 17T or 20T depending on the ambient temps and have dual 40mm fans on my Hobbywing 1650Kv motor.

Unfortuantely it is going to be 100F to 115F here for the next nine or ten days so I won't be able to run my K6 EXB at all. I could use a 12T but it just isn't the same.

Yes, technically, but I'd never drop a tooth unless it was to reduce temps.

On my stock V5 Kraton I run a 15T pinion as long as ambient temps are below about 85F. I have dual 30mm fans and Backflips LP's though. Over 85F I'd need to drop a tooth. With Copperheads I need to drop 2 or 3.

Thanks appreciate the info. Why do the tires attribute so much to the gearing or heat build up?

Yes higher tooth count is more speed, lower tooth count is more acceleration/torque. I prefer higher gearing for more air control on flips and of course a little more speed. As @Sargent_Horse said with higher gearing your motors going to run hotter so will need some good fans so you don't cook your motor or go really easy on the throttle.

When setting up fans or trying to setup the cooling on motor, is it trial an error or how would you know what to use on your specific motor, etc? I ended up deciding to go with the Castle Creations Mamba Monster X 8S 1/6 ESC/Motor Combo w/1717 Sensored Motor (1650kV). Would it just be the matter or asking around on the forum, Googling or is it something that Castle would have posted on there website?

So the bigger the tires the harder it is for the motor to turn them which then causes more heat. Also bigger tires give more speed as it takes longer to make a full rotation. For fan or cooling you will want to find a heatsink or some way to attach fans. You want a good fan/fans that puts off decent airflow to push heat away from the motor to keep it cool. I myself run bigger 40mm fans that push a lot of air as I said I run taller gearing so my motor heats up faster, I also have acres of property so I'm on the throttle hard which again causes more heat. I believe there is a thread for cooling, heatsinks and fans for the Hobbywing 1650kv that's the same size so maybe check out that thread for some ideas.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back