pinion/gearing question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboTeg512

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fazon
So im having heat issues on my Nero. I am running a 16t pinion and my motor and ESC get really friggin hot. I am running the car quite hard, but ive also got a castle motor fan installed. Im new to the hobby, is this normal? It was about 70 outside and I kept hitting the high temp cutoff. Thanks for the help guys.

So im having heat issues on my Nero. I am running a 16t pinion and my motor and ESC get really friggin hot. I am running the car quite hard, but ive also got a castle motor fan installed. Im new to the hobby, is this normal? It was about 70 outside and I kept hitting the high temp cutoff. Thanks for the help guys.
Yup. Overly normal. I run an e revo 2.0 (which is the same size as your nero) and standard 8th scale esc’s and 4074 motors aren’t enough. If you electronics are stock it’s a max8 rebrand and a 4074 motor which, as said above, isn’t enough to haul around that truck at above 40mph. That said you should gear down 3 or 4 teeth on the pinion. I was stubborn and replaced my stock esc with a mamba monster 2 because they’re meant for oversized 8th scales like the nero and e revo, so the esc is no longer an issue. However, I also run a similar sized motor (4276) and it regularly goes into the 200’s due to being geared for 50mph. I go through many motors and I’ll probably put a 4082 in sooner or later.

For you I assume you don’t want to deal with an esc upgrade and motor upgrade so I’d gear down.

Yup. Overly normal. I run an e revo 2.0 (which is the same size as your nero) and standard 8th scale esc’s and 4074 motors aren’t enough. If you electronics are stock it’s a max8 rebrand and a 4074 motor which, as said above, isn’t enough to haul around that truck at above 40mph. That said you should gear down 3 or 4 teeth on the pinion. I was stubborn and replaced my stock esc with a mamba monster 2 because they’re meant for oversized 8th scales like the nero and e revo, so the esc is no longer an issue. However, I also run a similar sized motor (4276) and it regularly goes into the 200’s due to being geared for 50mph. I go through many motors and I’ll probably put a 4082 in sooner or later.

For you I assume you don’t want to deal with an esc upgrade and motor upgrade so I’d gear down.
Thanks for the reply. And no, I don't want to deal with the upgrade as I don't have money to pay for it right now. Do I really need to go down that many teeth? It came stock with a 15t and 17t so I'm right in the middle.

Of course. Anytime man, I really appreciate those who still drive the nero. If they were still available I’d buy one because my e revo is very lonely due to it being my only current cantilever style suspension truck ?

That’d be sweet, but I’d rather buy a dinner for me and a girl with that money lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back