Typhon Pinion grub screw is rounded

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave
  2. Typhon 6s
So when i wanted to bash my typhon today. After 5 minutes i noticed a tooth broke off from the pinion wheel. I went back home anf took off the motor with the diff. I tried to loosen the grub screw but it really doesn't want to move even a bit. I heated it up with my solder iron, that also didn't help. I'm sure there is a ton of LT in there.

Now i'm stuck with a rounded grub screw and a broken pinion. If anyone has idea's to get the pinion off without getting damage to the motor/motor mount/differential?

Thanks a lot!
15621686948918345362852601612037.jpg
15621687283834672399486182930112.jpg

Try a new driver and not a ball end.
Also if you have a way to heat the pinion itself fast and not let it heat soak into the motor that will help.
I find that Wiha drivers and a small butane torch works well.

You can use a torx bit to get it out. Hammer a slightly bigger torx bit in the grub screw and slowly turn after heating it a bit

That's also what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure if it would do damage to other parts.
You just don't want to hit the motor shaft. I've had to do this a few times, but oddly enough it wasn't because I damaged a pinion. It usually happens to me when I changing gearing.

So when i wanted to bash my typhon today. After 5 minutes i noticed a tooth broke off from the pinion wheel. I went back home anf took off the motor with the diff. I tried to loosen the grub screw but it really doesn't want to move even a bit. I heated it up with my solder iron, that also didn't help. I'm sure there is a ton of LT in there.

Now i'm stuck with a rounded grub screw and a broken pinion. If anyone has idea's to get the pinion off without getting damage to the motor/motor mount/differential?

Thanks a lot!
Get your self a good set of screw extractors for the future, but I think the smallest they have is still to big for the pinion. If you can manage to cut a line in the top with a dremel, make sure you add a lot of heat before trying to back it out again. A micro torch is more direct, takes less time, and likely has better results.

If you have access to a Bridgeport you can also flat face it until the grub screw is gone.
I have had to do that once.
Then just go ahead and knock down the pinion enough to pull it off.

If you have access to a Bridgeport you can also flat face it until the grub screw is gone.
I have had to do that once.
Then just go ahead and knock down the pinion enough to pull it off.
I just did this and it won't come off. It seems to be stuck at a certain point. Also i think the motor is broken at this point. ☹ If i turn it, it stutters.
15621792241301172097770494856538.jpg

I realize I'm late, but if the Dremel slot method doesn't work try red LT or super glue a sacraficial bit or hex wrench in the stripped grub, let dry, and then turn. Hopefully adhesive endures the torque long enough to get it out.

I just did this and it won't come off. It seems to be stuck at a certain point. Also i think the motor is broken at this point. ☹ If i turn it, it stutters.View attachment 42253
You'll have to use a flat head to pry it off. Motor mount is already chewed up, so it shouldn't be a problem. Don't try to use a lot of force when prying. Put the tip of the flathead behind the pinion, and tap the top of the screwdriver until it comes free. This way you won't do any more damage to the mount.

There's a small lip on the very end of the motor shaft. That lip is hitting red loctite that's on the inside of the pinion bore. Apply a little heat to soften the loctite and it will pull off the shaft

There's a small lip on the very end of the motor shaft. That lip is hitting red loctite that's on the inside of the pinion bore. Apply a little heat to soften the loctite and it will pull off the shaft
Thank you for your help. In the meantime, i grabbed a chisel and put that under the pinion and slammed on it with a hammer ? I did this because I was so mad of the thing not coming loose. I hope i didn't ruined the motor. Otherwise i will have to buy a new one....

Wanted to change the pinion on my 1 week old Typhon and the grub screw was stripped from the factory. couldn't believe it. Had to use a torx bit and heat from my handheld propane torch. Got the grub screw out but the pinion would not slide off. Heated it more and finally came off... So much red loctite on there... Glad you got the pinion off. Hope ur motor is ok...

Wanted to change the pinion on my 1 week old Typhon and the grub screw was stripped from the factory. couldn't believe it. Had to use a torx bit and heat from my handheld propane torch. Got the grub screw out but the pinion would not slide off. Heated it more and finally came off... So much red loctite on there... Glad you got the pinion off. Hope ur motor is ok...View attachment 42386
Luckily, the motor seems to be okay. No weird vibrations, ticking or other sounds. 16t pinion is on, let the fun begin! ?

Haha, just got back from bashing today. Noticed my rear wheels won't turn. The diff is working, so i think it may be the gearbox...?
That's strange...

Are you talking about the center diff or rear diff? Check the obvious...Center rear dogbone is in correctly? Is the dogbone cup grub screw tight on the rear diff?

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back