Kraton Pinion grub screw stripped

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gecko1blx

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I've stripped the grub screw on my 18t pinion. I thought I heated the grub screw enough but apparently not. I'm no stranger to the dremel with a stripped screw head but this is different. Any suggestions or ways to get the stripped grub screw out? Or even back out enough to slide off? Screw extractor kit? Drill it out? I've got a kraton v4. Hobbystar 4092 1480kv motor. Stock blx esc. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
I've got a bunch if pinions so if it's a goner I'm good with that. I'm pretty handy with dremel and sounds like dremel is the way I may go. I've never had rhe best of luck drilling them out. Usually snap bits. Operator error, I'm fully aware. My concern is the motor and shaft. How exactly did you dremel it off? I figure just start cutting at the grub screw until I get to the shaft and see if it moves? Cut until it slides off....thanks again

I've got a bunch if pinions so if it's a goner I'm good with that. I'm pretty handy with dremel and sounds like dremel is the way I may go. I've never had rhe best of luck drilling them out. Usually snap bits. Operator error, I'm fully aware. My concern is the motor and shaft. How exactly did you dremel it off? I figure just start cutting at the grub screw until I get to the shaft and see if it moves? Cut until it slides off....thanks again
Wear safety 👓 your eyes cant grow back

Jam a security bit in there. With a little heat she’ll come out.

So I got the pinion off with some left handed drill bits and black oxide drill bit set from harbor frieght. Started with smallest bit worked my way in bit sizes until it slid off with ease. Thanks for the help.

20210310_102811.jpg

^^^ Looks like you also drilled into the armature shaft there.:cry:

A little bummer. I look at it this way, now I have a spot on the armature that perfect for the grub screw to sit in. 😄 ill probably lament that later but for now I'm just happy it's off.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back