Granite Pinion grub screw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RuffRiki

“If you’re not first, you’re last!”
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Limitless
Someone PLEASE tell me how to properly secure this pinion grub screw so the pinion sits in one position.
I also have this issue on my infraction since I upgraded pinions. I have tried blue locktite but that doesn’t work either.
I actually just peeled out the screw trying to tighten it and now I’m headed to Home Depot to get a small steel drill bit to hopefully get it out.
I need a permanent solution please!

Did you clean the threads of the grub screw and the pinion with brake clean or at least with rubbing alcohol? There is a light coat of oil on the threads from the factory that needs to be thoroughly cleaned off or the thread lock will not hold. You can also use red locktite instead of blue if you want a stronger hold. But it will be hard to get off if needed.

Yes, make sure the grub screw and hole are really clean before you screw it in and loc-tite it again. After cleaning I always check that the grub screw goes all the way through the pinion without any resistance. If you try to screw into a hole that already has caked on loc-tite, it's hard to screw it all the way and get a tight grip on the pinion. Also, use a good hex driver, you really want to get that screw in tight without stripping the screw.

The pinion grub screw is the only place I use red loc-tite. I think it's necessary. But make sure you heat it up well before trying to remove it. As you know, a stripped grub screw is a huge pain in the ass.

Hey guys. I too am having troubles making strong bond and my pinion keeps sliding off.
Cleaning grub screw is one thing (I use steel brush plus cleaner), but how do you clean your pinion, I mean the inner thread for grub? Maybe that tool you use to create new threads would work to get old thread lock out?

Also I was thinking about drilling a tiny hole into the motor shaft for the pinion to sit into. Any experience with this?

Clean grub screw with regular alcohol and a lil brush. Use red locktite and wait 24 hours. Works for me l.

I tested flex glue on my Lasernut grub screw and it held really well so I tried it on my Kraton and it has never failed me. Now I use it on most of my screws. It get like a really solid rubber with a really good bond but totally removable. (just my 2cents)
Not insulting your intelligence but you are hitting the flat of the shaft right?

The vibratite blue gel threadlocker is a lot stronger than the other brands (loctite, permatex gel) I've tried, I recommend using that.

Cleaning grub screw is one thing (I use steel brush plus cleaner), but how do you clean your pinion,
After cleaning the grub screw, I send it through the pinion hole a few times until it goes all the way through with no resistance. Screwing it through a few times removes the loc-tite on the pinion threads. Applying heat while you do it is a good idea. Makes it easier and you don't want to strip anything.

Last edited:
Pinion pullers work great for stripped grubs, I had that issue with my infraction, i cleaned the threads really well and used a drop of blue loc-tite 243 due to the fact it's oil resistant. Most of them pinions come with a coating of oil on them for rust prevention. Drop in the grub hole and rolled the screw. Let it sit 24 hours and never had an issue after that. Had to use a mini torch and a pinion puller removing the stock pinion that arrma installed, so don't be worried about too much haha they weren't.

After cleaning the grub screw, I send it through the pinion hole a few times until it goes all the way through with no resistance. Screwing it through a few times removes the loc-tite on the pinion threads. Applying heat while you do it is a good idea. Makes it easier and you don't want to strip anything.
I am lost. Pinion started traveling after first pack, flew away in the middle of second. This happens all the time to me.

Two days ago I cleaned both parts very carefully (brushes and using screw to clean pinion), then degreased, Bison thread lock and then tighten it down as much as my strenght would allow, with proper driver. Then it sit for two days.

Im really trying hard to avoid drilling of the motor shaft, but what else do I do?

What type of grub screws do you guys recommend? I mean shape at the end?

Back