Outcast Pinion moving

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robl45

Reaction score
Any advice. I'm having a hard time with this truck, last time we ran it, it was fine, this time, about two minutes in, the pinion backed away from the motor. I locked it down with blue locktite last time and cranked on the set screw to the point of almost stripping it. Did the same just now and will let it sit 24 hours. Last time it sat for 2 days. Should I try a new pinion? This one is a traxxas, it was really cheap and I figured it would at least be better than the arrma one that broke teeth off. Eventually I'm getting a teckno pinion but figured I'd just this one first.

Any advice. I'm having a hard time with this truck, last time we ran it, it was fine, this time, about two minutes in, the pinion backed away from the motor. I locked it down with blue locktite last time and cranked on the set screw to the point of almost stripping it. Did the same just now and will let it sit 24 hours. Last time it sat for 2 days. Should I try a new pinion? This one is a traxxas, it was really cheap and I figured it would at least be better than the arrma one that broke teeth off. Eventually I'm getting a teckno pinion but figured I'd just this one first.

i had one that was acting a bit strange also...i had to run the set screw all the way through prior to installing...all i could figure was that there was a burr or something...not allowing the set screw to go all the way...i felt tight...but not tight enough during a run...after running it all the way through to make sure threads were clean..its been fine ever since...

Make sure the threading in the pinion and the set screw itself, are devoid of any old Loctite, then swab them with alcohol as that gets rid of any dirt, grease, residue etc.
Loctite bonds better the cleaner the parts are.
Also, try using another set screw...they give you an additional one with the optional 16T pinion that comes with the truck.

I did that originally with the set screw threading it fully through and it still moved. It got a little bent this last time as it grinded against the motor mount. I guess when it got loose. I think I have another set screw or two from the old pinion and one from the bigger one if it doesn't hold today.

I was talking to a couple of the pro druggy racers at my lhs yesterday and was told the reason arra used red on the pinion from the factory no matter how bad it sucked for people without the right tools to remove it it was all because the torque specs of the blue locktite so they use red 271 my local tenko druggy racers said they use it on there rigs so I switched up after this last time my pinion slid back and chewed up the pinion and motor mount no issues at all sence swapping to red 271 and if I need to change the pinion I have a pinion puller and a soldering iron hopefully this will help people struggling with slippage issues

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back