Granite Pinion problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EwhoA

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
I have 2 Granite Megas with a Castle brushless / Mamba X ESC combo. They're both running 2S lipo batteries at 100% power, which had been going pretty well. One of the trucks was chewing up pinion gears and I thought I sorted out the mesh and the slipper clutch settings. The darn thing ate up another tonight. It's just the one truck. The other has had no issues whatsoever. Oddly enough, it's the driver who is craziest behind the controls that has no issues.

Has anyone used a metal pinion gear or have input/info on the HR metal pinion? I'm afraid that it might just transfer the issue on down the line.

Eventually we'll be running on 3S, so I know I'll need to upgrade a few items in the future. These trucks are basically stock minus the motor/ESC and the HD input gears.

Thanks

I have 2 Granite Megas with a Castle brushless / Mamba X ESC combo. They're both running 2S lipo batteries at 100% power, which had been going pretty well. One of the trucks was chewing up pinion gears and I thought I sorted out the mesh and the slipper clutch settings. The darn thing ate up another tonight. It's just the one truck. The other has had no issues whatsoever. Oddly enough, it's the driver who is craziest behind the controls that has no issues.

Has anyone used a metal pinion gear or have input/info on the HR metal pinion? I'm afraid that it might just transfer the issue on down the line.

Eventually we'll be running on 3S, so I know I'll need to upgrade a few items in the future. These trucks are basically stock minus the motor/ESC and the HD input gears.

Thanks
I have a mega senton with mamba x and 1410 3800kv castle i didn't have any issues with the spur gear when I ran the stock gearing do your castle motor have the 3.17mm or 5mm shaft?

Are you running the stock 48p gears from your Mega’s? If so you need to upgrade to the BLX 32p spur gear, diff ring gear/pinion gear in your drivetrain.

Are you running the stock 48p gears from your Mega’s? If so you need to upgrade to the BLX 32p spur gear, diff ring gear/pinion gear in your drivetrain.
Yeah, it's all stock aside from the main diff input. Can you point me in the right direction on those parts? I was looking at an exploded parts diagram but wasn't sure what all I should look at. In the meantime, I have about 6 or 7 more pinion gears the burn through! ??‍♂️

I went to Jenny's rc I got the blx diffs inputs slipper clutch assembly and I had a set of 32p pinion gears i also got a the blx adjustable motor mount i had to grind down a bit of it as for some reason my spur gear was binding inside the mount

Okay, I was on Jenny's RC earlier but they're 3S BLX granite stuff was all sold out. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Last edited:
Okay, I was on Jenny's RC earlier but they're 3S BLX granite stuff was all sold out. I'll have to keep N eye on it.
Yea it was when I was on there as well but the prices are great I emailed them and they notified me when they were going to restock fyi once they do restock parts are usually gone same day so I actually ordered the granite blx parts for my senton because the senton was sold out

Get a hardened steel 48p pinion. If you start to chew up spurs then go with the BLX slipper/spur. Either way get an adjustable motor mount. When looking on Jennys check all the 3s and 4s models for the slipper assy and check it daily.

So the 3S and the 4S slipper assembly will work on the granites? I'll keep an eye on that.

So the 3S and the 4S slipper assembly will work on the granites? I'll keep an eye on that.

All the 3s use the same slipper/spur assy. The 4s uses 4 slipper pads (3s only use 3) and has a steel spur. If you can score a 4s slipper/spur get it instead of a 3s slipper/spur. But with any steel spur don't use cheap pinions use hardened steel pinions and of course, get a BLX motor mount preferably the Arrma BLX adjustable mount.

Well, on there website it showed that they were sold out of the 4S slipper clutch assy, but their eBay store listed 2, so I ordered those and the blx motor mount action. I'll have them on Monday. Thanks for all the input and knowledge.

You’ll also need 0.8 Mod pinions that fit your motor shaft

13t. ? I have a bunch of extra pinions, but I don't know if they're .8 mod pinions.
Jenny's has a few 13t and 15t. I think I'm running 15 right now.

Attachments

• 2020-04-21 15.37.40.jpg
    2020-04-21 15.37.40.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 45
13t. ? I have a bunch of extra pinions, but I don't know if they're .8 mod pinions.
Jenny's has a few 13t and 15t. I think I'm running 15 right now.

All those pinions you have pictured won't work with the BLX 3s and 4s spurs. 32p pinions are close enough to 0.8mod. I used one Arrma 0.8mod pinion not a fan of them, they are cheap but if you need to get a new pinion go ahead and get a hardened steel one. You can get a reducer sleeve from a 5mm bore pinion to a 3.175mm (1/8") bore (the shaft size you have now) if you get a 5mm bore pinion like the Arrma pinion one to fit on the shaft of your motor.

Your motor is a higher kv motor and smaller can size motor than the BLX 3660 3200kv motor (stock 3s) I would start with a 13t pinion (smallest pinion you can run on the stock fixed hole BLX mount).

https://www.amainhobbies.com/robinson-racing-32p-pinion-gear-13t-rrp0130/p49531

Is this decent? I don't know much about who makes a quality gear.

Just look for a description of a hardened or hardened steel pinion. Robinson Extra Hard pinions should work as well. Plastic spurs you might be able to get away with just about anything just so long as it says it's a steel pinion.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/robins...ened-pinion-gear-13t-rrp1713/p454468?v=186483
https://www.amainhobbies.com/hot-ra...pinion-gear-w-3mm-bore-13t-hracsg1213/p649809

This is a reducer sleeve for 5mm bore pinions for your motor.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/robinson-racing-3.17mm-to-5mm-reducer-sleeve-1-8-to-5mm-rrp1200/p25015

Thanks everyone, I think i got everything I need to get these trucks ready for some 3S bashing.

I run the hr steel spur

I was looking at one of those as well, but the 4S slipper assy has a metal spur gear, the 3S BLX is plastic. I ordered the 4S before I realized the difference, so that makes me happy. I'm only able to go up to 3S, so this 4S assembly should be rock solid.

All those pinions you have pictured won't work with the BLX 3s and 4s spurs. 32p pinions are close enough to 0.8mod. I used one Arrma 0.8mod pinion not a fan of them, they are cheap but if you need to get a new pinion go ahead and get a hardened steel one. You can get a reducer sleeve from a 5mm bore pinion to a 3.175mm (1/8") bore (the shaft size you have now) if you get a 5mm bore pinion like the Arrma pinion one to fit on the shaft of your motor.

Your motor is a higher kv motor and smaller can size motor than the BLX 3660 3200kv motor (stock 3s) I would start with a 13t pinion (smallest pinion you can run on the stock fixed hole BLX mount).
what went wrong with the arrma .8 mod?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back