Talion Pinion question from a beginner.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moirae

Beauty & Beast
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Fireteam
  3. Infraction
  4. Limitless
  5. Kraton 8S
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Kraton 4s
  8. Mojave EXB
  9. Notorious
  10. Outcast 8s
  11. Outcast EXB
  12. Talion EXB
  13. Typhon 3s
  14. Typhon 6s
  15. Typhon TLR
So I jumped in head first with a talion exb and I bought an 18t arrma pinion to go with it. I took the stock pinion off and noticed that it has a D shape yet my 18t pinion doesn't. It's perfectly round in the middle. does this matter? Do I have to use a safe D pinion on my stock motor or will any pinion work as long as I put in 2 of those little grub screws?

I'm sure this is a dumb question but thanks in advance for taking the time out to help a beginner.

So I jumped in head first with a talion exb and I bought an 18t arrma pinion to go with it. I took the stock pinion off and noticed that it has a D shape yet my 18t pinion doesn't. It's perfectly round in the middle. does this matter? Do I have to use a safe D pinion on my stock motor or will any pinion work as long as I put in 2 of those little grub screws?

I'm sure this is a dumb question but thanks in advance for taking the time out to help a beginner.
your ok to use the 18t pinion dosen't have to be d safe (y)

Make sure to clean the threads with an alcohol wipe! Then use some loctite. 👍🏻👍🏻 Then wait the full 24 hour cure time otherwise you’ll lose a pinion haha. Happened to me tons of times 😂
^ This! Patience pays off - it really does take 24hr+. I wait for 2 days before I use my rigs if I've used thread lock on any of the screws going in to metal. It helps if you keep the RC in a warm room. New metal parts usually have a lot of cutting oil residue still left on them and thread lock won't adhere to it! I soak the pinion in brake/clutch cleaner and wipe down the motor shaft with it too, but you can use any degreaser

^ This! Patience pays off - it really does take 24hr+. I wait for 2 days before I use my rigs if I've used thread lock on any of the screws going in to metal. It helps if you keep the RC in a warm room. New metal parts usually have a lot of cutting oil residue still left on them and thread lock won't adhere to it! I soak the pinion in brake/clutch cleaner and wipe down the motor shaft with it too, but you can use any degreaser
Good point about machining oil found on the fasteners. (y)
I went to Loctite Blue 243. 242 is the standard blue TL. Same strength. 243 is oil safe/ workable. But cleaning them in solvent is always best. Especially with critical fasteners like Grub screws.

Last edited:
never cleaned mine with anything just rub it on a cloth in the hex wench put lock tight on and thats it (y)

Thanks for all the great tips. Though now I'm terrified I'm going to have a pinion fly out 😂.

LOL I've been here a year now and this was my first thread?!?!?! omg i feel 10x more knowledgeable now.

U ever get pinion thing worked out? 🤣
YES! :ROFLMAO:

Can't believe I'm a year in the hobby now and I have so many rigs. Never thought I would have fell this far down the rabbit hole :eek::eek:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back