Kraton Pinion question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airwolf076

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Do you guys think it would be ok to go up a few teeth on my pinion(from the stock 12T) for general running considering I have heatsink and fans on the motor and will adjust motor timing down to 15? I'm using the stock Firma ESC/motor, and so far it's been reliable.

yes should be fine, you will only know when you run it. just keep an eye on your temps as always
Thanks. I never take my temp gun out with me(I should), but I do occasionally perform the ouch test during bashes, stock out of the box was BIG ouch, putting the cooling fans and heatsink on, substantially less ouch I would surmise.

The flames'll let ye know that it's running hot! 😉
Last time I seen flames in any relation to RC was when I used to hang with the nitro crowd, seen a buggy or two burst into flames for some crazy reason, a little more common, occassionaly you'd see someone belching flame out their exhaust.

Last time I seen flames in any relation to RC was when I used to hang with the nitro crowd, seen a buggy or two burst into flames for some crazy reason, a little more common, occassionaly you'd see someone belching flame out their exhaust.
Tae be fair @Airwolf076 havin re-read yer post its the firma kit yer runnin.
Apologies fella ah'd just assumed spektrum stuff!
As ye were! 😁

Do you guys think it would be ok to go up a few teeth on my pinion(from the stock 12T) for general running considering I have heatsink and fans on the motor and will adjust motor timing down to 15? I'm using the stock Firma ESC/motor, and so far it's been reliable.
i myself on stock v5 motor/esc with a single fan on motor, im running a 14t, but left timing alone, whats that really do?

Wifey runs a 20t pinion with stock spektrum stuff. 1x 40mm fan on motor. I dunno about this summer heat though lol. It's 100 today and we won't go outside until the sun goes down.

I run a 15t, punch 5 and timing set to 15 on the Kraton. Same on the Noto except with a 14t pinion. Still experimenting with best set up for each car and how I drive.

I run a 15t, punch 5 and timing set to 15 on the Kraton. Same on the Noto except with a 14t pinion. Still experimenting with best set up for each car and how I drive.
so what does setting timming to 15 do? i left mine at the 22.5 it was pre set to. is it lower torque, lower rpm= less heat

so what does setting timming to 15 do? i left mine at the 22.5 it was pre set to. is it lower torque, lower rpm= less heat
Yup, that’s what I understand it does basically so am finding out for myself.

Yup, that’s what I understand it does basically so am finding out for myself.
wonder how much is saved if using higher tooth pinions, cause don't it put more strain on motor/heat either way. im sure somebody already talked about this..either way its interesting, im allways learning even at 40...

wonder how much is saved if using higher tooth pinions, cause don't it put more strain on motor/heat either way. im sure somebody already talked about this..either way its interesting, im allways learning even at 40...
Yeah, learning at 52 here. Live and learn.
My main goal is temp control. It was 107f actual temp today in San Antonio and still 102f at 7:40pm. I’m learning how to build better fans, putting in longer can, lower kv motors and now trying esc timing reduction on all my cars. There’s no end in sight for this heat. It was already 90f by 8:30am. If I want to run my cars this summer I have to avoid what happened last week, 200f motor temps (cooled to 192f by the time I thought of taking a picture) 😣 it’s so much hotter then normal this year, even for south central Texas.

FA9FB6CA-C60F-4F77-9D1B-D0233FFAFA12.jpeg

639519A7-1689-4B08-A1D7-7DF5EBD6EE0F.png

My main goal is temp control. It was 107f actual temp today in San Antonio and still 102f at 7:40pm. I’m learning how to build better fans, putting in longer can, lower kv motors and now trying esc timing reduction on all my cars. There’s no end in sight for this heat. It was already 90f by 8:30am. If I want to run my cars this summer I have to avoid what happened last week, 200f motor temps (cooled to 192f by the time I thought of taking a picture) 😣 it’s so much hotter then normal this year, even for south central Texas.

View attachment 223056

View attachment 223057
yea, that makes a difference. 90 in wisconsin with the humidity sucks for me

yea, that makes a difference. 90 in wisconsin with the humidity sucks for me
Man I wish it was 90f. I love the heat but rc cars don’t. Humidity sucks for sure but I don’t think the cars care about that. I think.
Lately ours is 90%+ in the AM hours, down to 50% in the heat of the day then back up once the sun sets. It’s a weird year.

From what I understand the stock timing is way higher than it should be and under the right conditions can kill your electronics after a while. My wanting to go to a higher tooth pinion is in response to wanting to lower the timing to reduce strain on the motor and ESC while hopefully not nerfing things too much where the truck is boring 😆

From what I understand the stock timing is way higher than it should be and under the right conditions can kill your electronics after a while. My wanting to go to a higher tooth pinion is in response to wanting to lower the timing to reduce strain on the motor and ESC while hopefully not nerfing things too much where the truck is boring 😆
so the sweet spot is 160/180 deg max for most efficient...i'll have to check my motor temp after a full run next.

Seems like a good plan to me. I'm currently running a 14t with a pretty good cooling set up and it rarely breaks 120f with my driving style. I plan to up to a 17t, but drop timing to 11.25. I think that should be a good trade off/balance and get me temps of around 150 to 160f at most.

View attachment 223056

View attachment 223057
It was 101 today here in Colorado, I feel your pain. I'm actually going out to drive my limitless in an hour. It will be 10:30 pm

It was 101 today here in Colorado, I feel your pain. I'm actually going out to drive my limitless in an hour. It will be 10:30 pm
It’s 1130 and finally has cooled to 87 but I can’t see so great at night and none of my cars have lights. Tomorrow is supposed to be a repeat with 106f high. I’m going to try to wake up early enough to go out and test a couple of fan set ups I’ve put together…but the wife and I are been bingeing on Adam Savage one day builds so who knows when we’ll get to bed finally. We’re in our fourth day of this binge 😂 I watched every single myth busters made as they were released and love all of his after projects, so am having a blast introducing it to my techie nerd wife.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back