Kraton Pinion question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s 1130 and finally has cooled to 87 but I can’t see so great at night and none of my cars have lights. Tomorrow is supposed to be a repeat with 106f high. I’m going to try to wake up early enough to go out and test a couple of fan set ups I’ve put together…but the wife and I are been bingeing on Adam Savage one day builds so who knows when we’ll get to bed finally. We’re in our fourth day of this binge 😂 I watched every single myth busters made as they were released and love all of his after projects, so am having a blast introducing it to my techie nerd wife.
Damn thats crazy man, definitely worse than here. at 10 pm it was like 80 but it drop down to 75 by 11. I'm going to have to start dropping down pinion sizes on all my bashers if I ever want to make it to the park again during the day :eek: :ROFLMAO:

Thats awesome your wife is into that stuff! it's a great feeling when you feel like you can actually have a convo about what you enjoy, with the person you love. :love:

Damn thats crazy man, definitely worse than here. at 10 pm it was like 80 but it drop down to 75 by 11. I'm going to have to start dropping down pinion sizes on all my bashers if I ever want to make it to the park again during the day :eek: :ROFLMAO:

Thats awesome your wife is into that stuff! it's a great feeling when you feel like you can actually have a convo about what you enjoy, with the person you love. :love:
We are practically polar opposites but somehow have so much in common it’s my dream come true. It’s like our separate interests intersect where it really counts and we both love it 😊

well i guess i must be running hot, whippin around grass field in park for like 15 min the ecu must have hit a temp limit and went to like 1/4 throttle, and the digital thermomiter just says hot as it prob don't go that high, so i guess i need to find a temp gun that reads them higher temps, and ill turn down my timming, im such a noob, lol.

well i guess i must be running hot, whippin around grass field in park for like 15 min the ecu must have hit a temp limit and went to like 1/4 throttle, and the digital thermomiter just says hot as it prob don't go that high, so i guess i need to find a temp gun that reads them higher temps, and ill turn down my timming, im such a noob, lol.
Believe it or not, running in grass will also contribute to higher temps because it puts more work on the drive train. Back in the day my Savage would strip a spur gear if it even looked at grass lol. Not saying you shouldn't run in grass. It's what I usually tend to run in, lol. Just something to be aware of.

Believe it or not, running in grass will also contribute to higher temps because it puts more work on the drive train. Back in the day my Savage would strip a spur gear if it even looked at grass lol. Not saying you shouldn't run in grass. It's what I usually tend to run in, lol. Just something to be aware of.
yea, i know, and me too, no real descent areas of leveled dirt any where to run, just gravel which sorta sucks, and i just burn up them tires on pavement lol...but i took the advice and now have turned the timing down to 15... also down the road ill be looking into dual cooling fans, i see a dual 30mm surpass hobby for like $26, that should help better than my single fan

yea, i know, and me too, no real descent areas of leveled dirt any where to run, just gravel which sorta sucks, and i just burn up them tires on pavement lol...but i took the advice and now have turned the timing down to 15... also down the road ill be looking into dual cooling fans, i see a dual 30mm surpass hobby for like $26, that should help better than my single fan
I went with this based on the advice of another forum member.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09T6DWQXD

They seem to be doing the trick, they spin very fast, and are very loud, I'm hoping that equates to them moving a ton of air lol.
You will need to take your motor out to slide this on, it's a very snug fit and it does not slide around during bashing.
If you do decide to get this one, make sure to take the fans off and loctite the screws, as there is no loctite from the factory

Edit: Doh! These ARE the Surpass hobby ones you're talking about! :facepalm:

I went with this based on the advice of another forum member.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09T6DWQXD

They seem to be doing the trick, they spin very fast, and are very loud, I'm hoping that equates to them moving a ton of air lol.
You will need to take your motor out to slide this on, it's a very snug fit and it does not slide around during bashing.
If you do decide to get this one, make sure to take the fans off and loctite the screws, as there is no loctite from the factory

Edit: Doh! These ARE the Surpass hobby ones you're talking about! :facepalm:
yeup...lol.

Yup, that’s what I understand it does basically so am finding out for myself.
Motor puts out less RPM's with Lower timing.
Higher the Timing, More RPMs, and the more Heat.
If heat is an issue, I would use less timing.
I am very conservative with my timing.
How I see it.
Same applies with Brushed Motors and Mechanical Timing.

Motor puts out less RPM's with Lower timing.
Higher the Timing, More RPMs, and the more Heat.
If heat is an issue, I would use less timing.
I am very conservative with my timing.
How I see it.
Same applies with Brushed Motors and Mechanical Timing.
Thanks, I’m understanding it better (reading up and videos lol). Put the timing to 15 degrees on the Kraton and it ran very cool in the 94f heat a bit ago. On my 3s cars with 130amp smart esc I put it down to 11 something. I use the bottom end way more then top so yeah, works for me. Much appreciated man.

^^^ Smart way.
Yeah if you're not looking for max top high-end revs, why need all that timing advance. Just more heat.
You just want low-midrange torque.(y)

I found that Gravel always tore up any set of tires I ran.
In a fast hearbeat. Just reality. I stay away from Gravel at all costs. Tires don't come cheap.
I always have street tires for pavement running, when I switch it up.
I rather deal with Heat on Grass. Your tires will thank you. Just Gear down and Fan up accordingly.
I like clay dirt best.

Finally, learning more about motor timing for a lot of people here SrC has been one.

What I have enjoyed about timing and not on all rigs but Losi DB Pro for example....I got the electronics right on temps running fewer RPMs and different pinion to equal stock speed. Once I had temps in right range with my temp probes, and they were consistent, going from 15 timing and steps up to 22.5 I have gotten another pinion speed up just on timing. At the same time, watching temps to safely do it under full bashes. Still on 3S but from a 3100kv motor to a 2650kv motor, pinion change, and timing, it runs great! Definitely takes a lot of testing and temp checks if playing with motor timing.

Thanks, I’m understanding it better (reading up and videos lol). Put the timing to 15 degrees on the Kraton and it ran very cool in the 94f heat a bit ago. On my 3s cars with 130amp smart esc I put it down to 11 something. I use the bottom end way more then top so yeah, works for me. Much appreciated man.

Feel you, Man. Times I cannot get to the dirt or the country track and all I have are grassy parks around me. Funny when I was a kid my parks were dirt patches now all the parks in the area I live are watered and green.

When I have a need for RC, I put the buggy tires that have treads that allow for slip so it's not a lot of bit in the grass. Still have good grip, does not bite or wheelie on full throttle take-off, and allows for speed and drift in the grass without flipping when turning. Took a long time to find the right tires for 3S and 6S rigs but have them now.

I watch temps, and they are low as you know grass can kick it up, but the slip helps. At the same time, I do find the lowest level grass normally I hit it after the association crew cuts it, and it settles for about a day :) Never tall grass just too much resistance for a rig depending on the 3S or 6S rig height.

If all possible, I don't like to RC in grass unless it is dead, patchy dirt like, dirt/weedy grass those spots are fun I can still get tall dust clouds!

Finally, learning more about motor timing for a lot of people here SrC has been one.

What I have enjoyed about timing and not on all rigs but Losi DB Pro for example....I got the electronics right on temps running fewer RPMs and different pinion to equal stock speed. Once I had temps in right range with my temp probes, and they were consistent, going from 15 timing and steps up to 22.5 I have gotten another pinion speed up just on timing. At the same time, watching temps to safely do it under full bashes. Still on 3S but from a 3100kv motor to a 2650kv motor, pinion change, and timing, it runs great! Definitely takes a lot of testing and temp checks if playing with motor timing.

Feel you, Man. Times I cannot get to the dirt or the country track and all I have are grassy parks around me. Funny when I was a kid my parks were dirt patches now all the parks in the area I live are watered and green.

When I have a need for RC, I put the buggy tires that have treads that allow for slip so it's not a lot of bit in the grass. Still have good grip, does not bite or wheelie on full throttle take-off, and allows for speed and drift in the grass without flipping when turning. Took a long time to find the right tires for 3S and 6S rigs but have them now.

I watch temps, and they are low as you know grass can kick it up, but the slip helps. At the same time, I do find the lowest level grass normally I hit it after the association crew cuts it, and it settles for about a day :) Never tall grass just too much resistance for a rig depending on the 3S or 6S rig height.

If all possible, I don't like to RC in grass unless it is dead, patchy dirt like, dirt/weedy grass those spots are fun I can still get tall dust clouds!
Here in San Antonio 98% of the time the grass is dry and patchy from poor soil, high heat and lack of rain. It’s dust cloud city now and it’s just messy all the time.

Man I got your temp trick dialed in and it works amazing on the vorteks Thing. It’s very accurate, on par with two separate hand help temp gauges I have. I love being able to watch trmps without the hassle. Better for my cars health as well. I’ll be installing the same system on my other cars over the summer.

I’m upgrading the fans in my three, 130a Firma escs now. The rocket 30mm fan fits perfect and is far more powerful then stock. The esc bec is 7.4 so they get good power as is…but Im still getting several small 3s batteries to run fans on in each car. Found these little 47gram, 850mah 3s batteries for cheap that I’ll try.

1BDC96BB-704B-4E4E-8ACF-ECD5D032802B.jpeg

8A4463E9-CE20-4A97-AD10-0462FD83FDEC.jpeg

Here in San Antonio 98% of the time the grass is dry and patchy from poor soil, high heat and lack of rain. It’s dust cloud city now and it’s just messy all the time.

Man I got your temp trick dialed in and it works amazing on the vorteks Thing. It’s very accurate, on par with two separate hand help temp gauges I have. I love being able to watch trmps without the hassle. Better for my cars health as well. I’ll be installing the same system on my other cars over the summer.

I’m upgrading the fans in my three, 130a Firma escs now. The rocket 30mm fan fits perfect and is far more powerful then stock. The esc bec is 7.4 so they get good power as is…but Im still getting several small 3s batteries to run fans on in each car. Found these little 47gram, 850mah 3s batteries for cheap that I’ll try.

View attachment 225003

View attachment 225004
Way to go my Man!!!

I put the Firma 130A on my Big Rock and Granite BLX. The Losi DB Pro came with the Firma 130A. All those and a few more I have the temp probes on as well I totally agree. You are hotter than me however Memphis has crazy humidity off the Mississippi river....I have friends in TX you all cook!

Now as far as the Firma 130A I had those same aluminum Rocket fans at 30mm. They are good but I wanted a bit more and working with @Tex Koder so far he has made me 40mm adapters....30mm to 40mm. We are still tweaking it but is working good. The challenge on the Firma 130A is getting over the tall capacitors and 2.5mm screws to have enough to screw down the 16mm screw into the heatsink.

The 40mm have been good with the heat. Keep tabs with him as he tweaks if you find you want to change to 40mm fans for the Firma 130A:

1655786065311.png
1655786449912.png

His first one but it was too low for the capacitors (my error on measurements) so I cut out the side. He has since raised it up pic aboved protype but need to fix the inside drop for the 2.5mm holes to it can screw into the heatsink. Working good for 40mm fan!
1655786227776.png

Way to go my Man!!!

I put the Firma 130A on my Big Rock and Granite BLX. The Losi DB Pro came with the Firma 130A. All those and a few more I have the temp probes on as well I totally agree. You are hotter than me however Memphis has crazy humidity off the Mississippi river....I have friends in TX you all cook!

Now as far as the Firma 130A I had those same aluminum Rocket fans at 30mm. They are good but I wanted a bit more and working with @Tex Koder so far he has made me 40mm adapters....30mm to 40mm. We are still tweaking it but is working good. The challenge on the Firma 130A is getting over the tall capacitors and 2.5mm screws to have enough to screw down the 16mm screw into the heatsink.

The 40mm have been good with the heat. Keep tabs with him as he tweaks if you find you want to change to 40mm fans for the Firma 130A:

View attachment 225029View attachment 225032

His first one but it was too low for the capacitors (my error on measurements) so I cut out the side. He has since raised it up pic aboved protype but need to fix the inside drop for the 2.5mm holes to it can screw into the heatsink. Working good for 40mm fan!
View attachment 225031
That is great and very good to know! I will definitely reach out to Tex if the 30 mm fans don’t work out. I don’t have as much trouble with the ESC heat as I do with the motors and am looking forward to see how well the new fans work. I am also starting to vent the bodies in key areas. One neat thing about the temperature probe is I can see how fast the temperature adjust between body on and body off. Also is good for with seeing how well vents help.

I will take my roasting heat over your constant humidity any day. Still remember that 20 years I spent growing up in Houston and the occasional days that we have high humidity remind me. Feels like a hammer lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back