Outcast Pinion removal=sore wrists

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 4743 I use a 140 watt soldering iron for heating fastners and battery/ esc connections.This type is pull the trigger and heats up in a few seconds,if you watch the part being heated sometimes you can see the locktite fume,then easy to remove.

Just bought this exact same iron.
I am awaiting delivery on some other tools, but suffice to say I am not looking forward to the pinion job, ugh.

Just bought this exact same iron.
I am awaiting delivery on some other tools, but suffice to say I am not looking forward to the pinion job, ugh.
Buck, someone just did theirs with a lighter, worked well after 2nd try, basically cooked it off.

Interesting.
So I guess it shouldn't be too hard with the new iron then!

Oh I plan too...that pinion will be glowing red before I put a screwdriver to it, lol
Did you see my other post/new thread re:16T
Thoughts?
You have enough time logged on it now I would think to have an accurate opinion...?

I am not liking the sound of this... I just shredded 2 teeth off my stock pinion :(
im running both. but today when the teeth broke, it was on 6s.
I say go with the 16. Robinson Racing Extra Hard 1216 are a good choice if Arrma 16 craps out on you. PS, forgot if Kraton comes with optional 14 or 16. Too many Arrmas..Lol.

Last edited:
I say go with the 16. Robinson Racing Extra Hard 1216 are a good choice if Arrma 16 craps out on you. PS, forgot if Kraton comes with optional 14 or 16. Too many Arrmas..Lol.
i think i am going to stick with the stock gearing. i like how it runs... and the temps stay very low! i would like a stronger pinion though. im surprised the teeth snapped clean off.

Kraton comes with optional 14, Outcast comes with optional 16.
what is the stock gearing on the kraton v2? 12?

i think i am going to stick with the stock gearing. i like how it runs... and the temps stay very low! i would like a stronger pinion though. im surprised the teeth snapped clean off.
Stock pinion is not very strong, one of mine came loose and slid into motor mount, damaged teeth pretty badly and that's vs aluminum! Other guys have broken teeth with stocks. Haven't had any temp issues geared up yet. I like more teeth also for greater surface area contact and find setting mesh easier with taller gears. I generally gear my rigs to reach max 130-150 temps with hard running on 6s. If I hit 160 or higher I get concerned. 150 seems to be maximize motor potential without losing efficiency from overheating. Everyone has different comfort zones. Come Sacramento area summer time 100-110 outside, I watch very closely and gear down with ambient conditions. I'm a bona fide speed junky and like it to be a trigger pull away if I want it...Lol.

Stock pinion is not very strong, one of mine came loose and slid into motor mount, damaged teeth pretty badly and that's vs aluminum! Other guys have broken teeth with stocks. Haven't had any temp issues geared up yet. I like more teeth also for greater surface area contact and find setting mesh easier with taller gears. I generally gear my rigs to reach max 130-150 temps with hard running on 6s. If I hit 160 or higher I get concerned. 150 seems to be maximize motor potential without losing efficiency from overheating. Everyone has different comfort zones. Come Sacramento area summer time 100-110 outside, I watch very closely and gear down with ambient conditions. I'm a bona fide speed junky and like it to be a trigger pull away if I want it...Lol.
I hear that. The temps here in ontario are quite cold at the moment so it is hard to tell exactly what temps I will be getting come summer. But, i have felt the motor/battery/esc after running the truck fairly hard and nothing even gets warm. So thats a good sign! The top speed on 6s COULD be a little quicker, but I don't really do too much on-road driving. So the speeds off road are more than quick enough. I am going to post a new video soon of my main bash spot. Its got sand, gravel and grass. Thats where I ran it today. I thought I blew a diff gear! I was kicking myself saying "darn i should have listened to rich duperbash and did the diff shims!" hahaha! luckily, it was just the pinion.

I hear that. The temps here in ontario are quite cold at the moment so it is hard to tell exactly what temps I will be getting come summer. But, i have felt the motor/battery/esc after running the truck fairly hard and nothing even gets warm. So thats a good sign! The top speed on 6s COULD be a little quicker, but I don't really do too much on-road driving. So the speeds off road are more than quick enough. I am going to post a new video soon of my main bash spot. Its got sand, gravel and grass. Thats where I ran it today. I thought I blew a diff gear! I was kicking myself saying "darn i should have listened to rich duperbash and did the diff shims!" hahaha! luckily, it was just the pinion.
That's funny bro! Look forward to your vid. You may have had a small pebble grind into pinion/spur who knows, maybe gear just failed. Make sure to use lots of heat to remove grub screw and pinion gear itself, mine was threadlocking cemented onto motor shaft, lots of good pics and info on that crap here in forum. Happy Bashing!

That's funny bro! Look forward to your vid. You may have had a small pebble grind into pinion/spur who knows, maybe gear just failed. Make sure to use lots of heat to remove grub screw and pinion gear itself, mine was threadlocking cemented onto motor shaft, lots of good pics and info on that crap here in forum. Happy Bashing!
That totally could have been it. It did break teeth when running on gravel. I might take it to my LHS because they have a heat gun and much higher quality tool than I have. Ill keep posted.

what is the stock gearing on the kraton v2? 12?

Yes 12, just checked the website. I'm looking into picking up a Kraton or Talion in addition to the Outcast.

Haven't changed anything on the Outcast yet as I've only had a chance to do a couple of short runs on the 12t and want to get some real bash sessions in to get a feel for the performance of the truck before changing anything. Weather has been crazy whenever I've actually had the time to run the truck. It's either been too cold, too much snow and now it's rain and freezing rain.

I did pick up a 14t Robinson pinion to try this summer. I'm in Ontario as well and as you mentioned never know what temps we will see. Thought the 14t would be a good happy medium and shouldn't need to worry about temps.

Red threadlocker here too, had to use a soldering iron to get the pinion to move. What the hell, I've never seen this on any other car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back