Fireteam Pinion size choices

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 Fireteams - 8 brand new 3S 7200mah batteries and 12 older 3S 5200mah. Both trucks get the same on all battery pairs. The older 5200 mah will get me 10-12 mintues in snow with E-Revo's, so I doubt it is batteries.

I have pulled motors on both trucks and they roll fine with no resistance. Mesh set with paper, same process I have used on all trucks.
I pulled the handbrake out of both trucks, but running stock tires.

I have not changed out the servo, but with both trucks behaving the same - I suspect it is not the servo.

I am leaning towards ESC firmware - I upgraded firmware before running - or over-worked motor.

I have 2 Fireteams - 8 brand new 3S 7200mah batteries and 12 older 3S 5200mah. Both trucks get the same on all battery pairs. The older 5200 mah will get me 10-12 mintues in snow with E-Revo's, so I doubt it is batteries.

I have pulled motors on both trucks and they roll fine with no resistance. Mesh set with paper, same process I have used on all trucks.
I pulled the handbrake out of both trucks, but running stock tires.

I have not changed out the servo, but with both trucks behaving the same - I suspect it is not the servo.

I am leaning towards ESC firmware - I upgraded firmware before running - or over-worked motor.
Wow, that is crazy. Any chance the battery was very cold, are you aware of how lipos work in the cold (you mention snow). If the battery itself was 40°F or below it would lose a lot of effective capacity versus room temperature.

The only other thing I can think of is check for something being very hot. If you were getting half of the expected run time out of a battery, and that battery is actually producing as much energy as it supposed to, then that energy has to be going somewhere and something must be really hot.

Wow, that is crazy. Any chance the battery was very cold, are you aware of how lipos work in the cold (you mention snow). If the battery itself was 40°F or below it would lose a lot of effective capacity versus room temperature.

The only other thing I can think of is check for something being very hot. If you were getting half of the expected run time out of a battery, and that battery is actually producing as much energy as it supposed to, then that energy has to be going somewhere and something must be really hot.
It was just below freezing, but batteries were warm and spares keep in insulated bag. I expect shorter run times in winter, but my X-Maxx, E-Revo, SCX6 trucks get reasonable run times - about 2/3 of what I get in summer. I got the Fireteam in November, so no summer runs on them. My Felony has the same electronics and gets great run times, but it is a completely different vehicle.
I had a E-Revo out the same day and got over 10 minutes on a set of 5200mah, the Fireteam got 2 minutes on identical batteries at the same time.

I am at a lose as to what the issue is - motor, ESC, batteries, servo are all at around normal temps. Granted the colder air and snow may be disguising a hot motor or ESC. New 7200 mah batteries are at 3.67v after 4 minutes.

It was just below freezing, but batteries were warm and spares keep in insulated bag. I expect shorter run times in winter, but my X-Maxx, E-Revo, SCX6 trucks get reasonable run times - about 2/3 of what I get in summer. I got the Fireteam in November, so no summer runs on them. My Felony has the same electronics and gets great run times, but it is a completely different vehicle.
I had a E-Revo out the same day and got over 10 minutes on a set of 5200mah, the Fireteam got 2 minutes on identical batteries at the same time.

I am at a lose as to what the issue is - motor, ESC, batteries, servo are all at around normal temps. Granted the colder air and snow may be disguising a hot motor or ESC. New 7200 mah batteries are at 3.67v after 4 minutes.
Man that is wild! I'm seriously curious what's causing it :eek:. Do you have another esc you could try? I think thats about the only thing you have left to try. Swap some stuff around and see if the problem persists. Could even swap esc with the felony and see.

Man that is wild! I'm seriously curious what's causing it :eek:. Do you have another esc you could try? I think thats about the only thing you have left to try. Swap some stuff around and see if the problem persists. Could even swap esc with the felony and see.
i was debating that ... swapping in the Felony ESC or a Spektrum 160 amp from Super Rock Rey.
But am also thinking of getting a Max6 4985 1650kv combo ... probably a better set-up for this heavy rig

i was debating that ... swapping in the Felony ESC or a Spektrum 160 amp from Super Rock Rey.
But am also thinking of getting a Max6 4985 1650kv combo ... probably a better set-up for this heavy rig
it's a much better setup! :cool: (y)

Man those wheels look huge. How much do they weigh in grams? I looked them up on amazon and horizon and can find the dimensions but not the weight.
Well I’m not sure. Being a newb… with an impressive collection so far lol. I don’t have a scale or a heat gun. On the list! I’m not sure what a dangerous temp is. It’s here though. Someplace….🤔

Good post...

Not unhappy with my Fireteam. It is mostly stock with Max6 ESC and the interior men's cage part has been removed. It seems to me to move fast for a basher, and its size, maybe the weight difference adds to that.

Keep the post coming....watching this one.

My fireteam 01 has a castle 1717 1650kv combo with iirc 22/50 gearing. Like it a lot. I was having heat problems geared 24/50 but 22 works great.

What size wheels were you running with this gearing?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back