Notorious Pinion size: Notorious

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
I've been running a 16t pinion in my Notorious from day 1. I run only 6S. I took it out a little while ago and I really have to say that I hate the way it drives. It's simply too fast and way to twitchy in the air for my taste. It's like someone took a rabid squirrel and shoved an eight ball of coke up its ass. No thanks.

With a 16t pinion, my speed calculator shows a theoretical top speed of 67.69 mph. I'm really surprised Arrma includes it as the "speed" pinion as it gears it faster than a Kraton on its 15t speed pinion.(62.35 mph). Up until the V4 release, only the Talion was faster with the speed gear (the Typhon now includes a gear that tops 70 mph as well). Anyway, I want to gear my Noto down and I'm torn between 14t and 15t. 14T gears it to 59.23 mph. 15T gears it to 63.46 mph. I'm leaning towards the 14T.

Does anyone run a stock Notorious/Outcast on a 14T pinion? If so, how are the temps? The 16t ran very hot. Does it cog at all running punch 9? How is the air control? Any real word experience would be grateful. Thanks!

Your real word numbers are very close to my calculator. 12t shows 50.77 mph and 15t shows 63.46 mph. Did it cog on the 17t with the punch up at 9?
No cogging at all at punch 9 with the 17.
Clogging started when I move up to an 18t on high punch setting

No cogging at all at punch 9 with the 17.
Clogging started when I move up to an 18t on high punch setting
You ran an 18t pinion on the stock electronics and tires??

Yes ?

I did a similar speed run thread with the 17t pinion but I haven’t found the link yet

Yes ?

I did a similar speed run thread with the 17t pinion but I haven’t found the link yet
I would find that un-bashable ?
Ed, why don't you go back to the stock 12T pinion for testing? I cant complain about it really
I know 12t wouldn't be enough for my tastes. I need more wheel spin for doubles and triples. I did run a 4S pack through it a few days ago with the 16t pinion and that was painful. The only thing it did well was ride a wheelie down my driveway ?

I run a 14. I also found the thing to just be a sloppy mess so I put it on a kraton chassis.

It is now *much* more stable on accel, turning, braking, in the air- you name it.

But I must admit- I am tempted to put it on a talion chassis to get the benefit of lengthened wheelbase for turning, more stability from being a non-stop wheelie mess, but moving the weight back a bit from where the Kraton electronics mount.

I run a 14. I also found the thing to just be a sloppy mess so I put it on a kraton chassis.

It is now *much* more stable on accel, turning, braking, in the air- you name it.

But I must admit- I am tempted to put it on a talion chassis to get the benefit of lengthened wheelbase for turning, more stability from being a non-stop wheelie mess, but moving the weight back a bit from where the Kraton electronics mount.
I used to run a 16t in my Kraton on stock electronics and I loved it. I like lots of power in the LWB trucks. I just don't care for it in the Noto. I think I'm going to try the 14t and see how it goes.

I used to run a 16t in my Kraton on stock electronics and I loved it. I like lots of power in the LWB trucks. I just don't care for it in the Noto. I think I'm going to try the 14t and see how it goes.
I'm running a 16T. My punch is at 7, never went higher than that. I love the way it reacts with this set up, whether I'm in a construction site, skate park, or bmx track. You've seen my videos, so you know where I'm at and the type of driving I do. Sometimes it's long distance jumps, sometimes it's short hops from one berm to another. Many times it's inside a bowl at a skate park, and even there, it reacts just like I want it to. Never had a problem with heating issues, always make it to either lvc or have to stop because of damage. It might just be that I haven't had a chance to drive anything with a lwb, but the Noto is what I learned 6s on, so it's the baseline I have for now.

Pretty sure I run the 16t in mine. What really makes me like it now is I switched to the backflip lp’s. I’m thinking that’s like dropping to 14 idk. I will still do backflips but it’s not a complete idiot like it is with the stock 6s bf tires.

I'm running a 16T. My punch is at 7, never went higher than that. I love the way it reacts with this set up, whether I'm in a construction site, skate park, or bmx track. You've seen my videos, so you know where I'm at and the type of driving I do. Sometimes it's long distance jumps, sometimes it's short hops from one berm to another. Many times it's inside a bowl at a skate park, and even there, it reacts just like I want it to. Never had a problem with heating issues, always make it to either lvc or have to stop because of damage. It might just be that I haven't had a chance to drive anything with a lwb, but the Noto is what I learned 6s on, so it's the baseline I have for now.
interesting as I asked if I could use the included 16T for bashing when my 12T got damaged ... I may consider this in the future as at the moment the 12T seems to work fine for me.

Right on, Johnny. I'm the opposite when it comes to the 6S trucks. The Kraton was my first and I prefer the way it drives. My favorite is my Talion so I am definitely biased towards the LWB trucks. I just want to enjoy my Noto because lately I've been thinking of just selling it. I want to like it so I'm hoping a smaller pinion gives me the driving experience I'm looking for ??? I'm going to test it out today.

The weight of the trencher 3.8's must really add a lot of resistance to it as I can't run more than 13T with 6S without having the esc shut down on me after 12-13 minutes. When I ran 4S, I used a 15T, 16T would overheat on me unless I was at the skatepark only. Hoping with the max6 I can now run a 14T again as I need just a tad more speed to clear some of the big jumps at the bmx track I run at.

The weight of the trencher 3.8's must really add a lot of resistance to it as I can't run more than 13T with 6S without having the esc shut down on me after 12-13 minutes. When I ran 4S, I used a 15T, 16T would overheat on me unless I was at the skatepark only. Hoping with the max6 I can now run a 14T again as I need just a tad more speed to clear some of the big jumps at the bmx track I run at.
I ran a 4S pack through my notorious with a 16 tooth pinion. I don't know how you used to do it. I thought it was absolutely gutless. It took everything it had to get it to do one backflip. I could see it getting hot if I ran it that way. It would be because I would have it pinned full throttle the entire time ?

It takes the right kind of jump for a double, but a single was pretty easy off most jumps. I'm guessing the 3.8" trenchers unwrapped helped with rotation as they are quite a bit heavier than stock tires.

Back