Pinion/spur gear lash?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PPS-RC

Very Active Member
Vendor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Nero
I feel my gear lash might be a little excessive from the factory but not terrible. This is my first brushless metal geared electric vehicle, so in reality it could be perfect.

I'm going through my manual today while I've got some downtime, and I came across the gear lash part.
20161120_102448.jpg

I'm quickly finding this manual is full of good illustrations, but very lacking in detailed information.

Back in the day, lash was set with a piece of notebook paper. Is this still true with the steel gears found on my Nero?

Or am I better off using 2+ sheets of paper, a note card, construction paper, etc...?

I know that correct lash is key to longevity. Without a lash spec this illustration could be showing a popsicle stick.

Back in the day, lash was set with a piece of notebook paper. Is this still true with the steel gears found on my Nero?
Never heard it called "lash" but instead gear mesh. But to answer your question, yes gear mesh is still important and can get set using a piece of paper. However, I've had much better luck using a small plastic baggie - such as those that come with replacement parts. Not very thick and seems to set the perfect gear mesh for me.

Gear backlash/mesh same thing. I've been outside of the RC world too long.

Paper is about .015-.002" thick, and the Arrma parts bags feel like .003"

So basically nothing has changed, and we don't need to run any tighter or looser clearances than 15 years ago.

Just to show I'm not making things up lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161120-132018.png
    Screenshot_20161120-132018.png
    395.2 KB · Views: 65
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back