pinion to spur lash

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndoppes

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
hello, new to the forum and hoping to get some help. I tried searching this topic and didn't come up with much, I apologize if this has been discussed already and I wasn't able to find the info.

I recently bought a 3S senton BLX and rounded a spur on my 8th pack. I am only running 2S batteries and really I've been driving the truck at 3/4 power, I'm new to this game and she is pretty squirelly at full pull haha. Anyhow I live out in the middle of no where and I had to drive 2 hrs to get a new spur. the guy at the shop said to make sure I set the gear mesh right. I proceeded to watch toturials on gear mesh. I then went to install the new spur and realized the motor is fixed in its motor mount.I attempted to set the spur anyway with a piece of paper. I buttoned everything back up and set the slipper about 3/4 out.

With fresh battery I went for a test, I made it a half a pack before it started sounding funny, I pulled the motor apart and sure as hell the gear was already toast. Im pretty frustrated with the money I spent to have only run 8.5 packs and 2 spur gears toast. Any thoughts or help will be appreciated. slipper to tight? bad mesh? how can the mesh even be adjusted with a fixed mount?

I have a hot racing metal spur in the mail, will I need to run a hardened pinion with 2S packs and with the metal setup what is the next weak link?

Thanks again in advance, the truck is a blast when she's dialed. As of right now its a pretty expensive paper weight....

Last edited:
In my experience, if a 3s truck spur goes it's due to some issue with the motor or bearings. Have you checks the motor shaft for any excessive side to side play? Have you checked the bearings on the spur hubs? You don't set mesh with the stock mount. It's fixed.

In my experience, if a 3s truck spur goes it's due to some issue with the motor or bearings. Have you checks the motor shaft for any excessive side to side play? Have you checked the bearings on the spur hubs? You don't set mesh with the stock mount. It's fixed.

Just went and checked motor shaft and bearings. shaft has no play and bearings are clean and spinning free. motor mount is not bent and motor mount screws are both in the 20 holes and tight like they should be. even if the slipper was set to tight should it have rounded the spur in half a pack? I'm running 2s and not pouring all the coal to it either. Thank you for the reply, gave me some things to check off

Just went and checked motor shaft and bearings. shaft has no play and bearings are clean and spinning free. motor mount is not bent and motor mount screws are both in the 20 holes and tight like they should be. even if the slipper was set to tight should it have rounded the spur in half a pack? I'm running 2s and not pouring all the coal to it either. Thank you for the reply, gave me some things to check off
I have Granite that I bought in September and a BRCC that I bought in October. I bash the snot out of these trucks and I'm on the original spurs. I've broken stuff on both trucka but the spur wasn't one of them.

I have Granite that I bought in September and a BRCC that I bought in October. I bash the snot out of these trucks and I'm on the original spurs. I've broken stuff on both trucka but the spur wasn't one of them.

Well it would be my luck that I get one built on a friday. I emailed arrma, hopefully they can help.Just bummed I've spent almost $400.00 for 8 battery runs and I'm not even running it hard. the whole reason I bought it was from watching people on youtube bashing them and nobody complained about a thing.

just got off the phone with horizon, they are sending a new slipper kit and spur gear. What I did notice is my truck is missing a part, I’m not sure what the part does actually but I’m hoping it’s the reason it’s screwing up the spur. I’ll attach the photo to the part, maybe you can tell me what it does. Thanks for the help

Attachments

• 6AE66997-E220-40A8-940A-04F788645D06.jpeg
    6AE66997-E220-40A8-940A-04F788645D06.jpeg
    389.7 KB · Views: 56
Any time you run a steel spur, you have to run a hardened pinion, regardless of cell count. I suggest RRP (robinson racing products) hardened pinions. They have held up well for me.

The next weakest link will be the axles or ring/pinion on the diffs. Plastic spurs are things I keep 2 or 3 of, but I don't have a single truck that is keyed like those arrma's are. You have to set the mesh yourself.

I run plastic spurs when I can get away with it. I ran the same spur on my brushless revo for about 1.5 years on 4S, then lost a tooth in it due to a rock. So, when meshed right and the slipper set right, they will hold up over time. I also run plastic spurs on both of my nitro revo's, one has a big block in it. Holds up fine as well.

Any time you run a steel spur, you have to run a hardened pinion, regardless of cell count. I suggest RRP (robinson racing products) hardened pinions. They have held up well for me.

The next weakest link will be the axles or ring/pinion on the diffs. Plastic spurs are things I keep 2 or 3 of, but I don't have a single truck that is keyed like those arrma's are. You have to set the mesh yourself.

I run plastic spurs when I can get away with it. I ran the same spur on my brushless revo for about 1.5 years on 4S, then lost a tooth in it due to a rock. So, when meshed right and the slipper set right, they will hold up over time. I also run plastic spurs on both of my nitro revo's, one has a big block in it. Holds up fine as well.

Thanks for the info. Horizon is sending another slipper and spur. Im going to order the robison pinion and possibly an adjustable motor mount so I can set mesh myself. cheers bud!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back