Talion Pinion too close to motor mount V4 Talion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Outcast 6s
  4. Senton 6s
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Vorteks
Hey everyone,
I was out running my Talion today and I noticed after my last pack that the pinion was really close to the motor mount to the point that I can’t get a hex wrench down there to loosen the grub screw and push it up. I can see half of the grub screw, just not enough to where I can get a hex in there. It is a V4 Talion. Any ideas out on how I can move the pinion? Should i use a flathead screwdriver and just work it around it or is there a better way?

With the motor and mount out(easier) Heat up the pinion well enough and try a quality ball driver.
Some say not to use a ball driver at all. This has worked for me. A Bondus ball driver I use. Rarely used so its in good shape, not worn and good in a pinch. You can also heat up and try using a puller or pry it out some. The pinion did move from where you set it so maybe its not that tight and you can pull it out enough, then use a standard hex driver.
Just some ideas.

My guess is that you can't insert any driver, only thing that helps is a large screw driver and eat your wheaties. 💪
Try wedging it out. Heat on the pinion will help a little.
Move it just enough to clear the grub screw. Heat that screw to burn off any loctite before you try to remove.

If you are lucky enough and you got it off. Remove the screw and clean the threads, do the same with the pinion. New thread-lock will not hold on old stuff.
Let the thread-lock dry for 24h before using it or you will be in the same boat. If you use new screw/pinion you have to clean the threads with alcohol as well, cheers! 🍻

What you could do to prevent this from happening:
https://www.towerhobbies.com/product/crush-tube-5x7x5mm-2/ARA311026.html

used a large flathead and it popped up quite easily. Was really expecting it to be wedged on there ridiculously tight, but it wasn’t. Thanks for the tips guys! Definitely going to try those crush tubes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back