Pinion upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wags1

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
Hey guy's, what pinion upgrade (# of teeth)from stock, would be good for 3s big rock? I am running 3s 5000 50c and looking to go alittle faster but not wanting to fry my esc.

If you want to go bigger, you should consider getting an adjustable motor mount, or modifying the stock mount with a dremel to accompany pinions in between the predrilled holes of the stock. I haven't tried it in my granite yet, but it seems like a 17 tooth would be a great place to go next. If you go all the way to a 20, the cogging gets pretty bad. I think @bicketybam has some videos up somewhere showing how bad it is, and it ain't pretty. Hot Racing has the adjustables that come and go as far as whats in stock - https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=ATF18M02;c=1385

If you want to go bigger, you should consider getting an adjustable motor mount, or modifying the stock mount with a dremel to accompany pinions in between the predrilled holes of the stock. I haven't tried it in my granite yet, but it seems like a 17 tooth would be a great place to go next. If you go all the way to a 20, the cogging gets pretty bad. I think @bicketybam has some videos up somewhere showing how bad it is, and it ain't pretty. Hot Racing has the adjustables that come and go as far as whats in stock - https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=ATF18M02;c=1385
Thanks for the info. I believe that a 15 tooth is stock in the big rock 3s, correct? I just want to go up one size, see how it performs. Do you know of a motor cooling fan for the stock motor? Couldnt hurt. Lol

Hobbywing Ezrun 5V C4 Cooling Fan & 44 x 65mm Motor Heat Sink System RC Motor Fan For 1/8 Car#86080130 Blue,Get funshobby decal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00792P9WG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_6YcACbMWRWR5R
I had this laying around which was the wrong size for whatever I bought it for, so I robbed the fan off of it and screwed it to the stock heatsink of my granite. It definitely helps.

Beautiful! Thanks! Will that heatsink fit on our motors or just the motor?
I actually think it'll fit, but I don't know where I put it so I can't say for sure. I pulled the fan back a while back and my memory isn't quite what it used to be. I blame beer.

I actually think it'll fit, but I don't know where I put it so I can't say for sure. I pulled the fan back a while back and my memory isn't quite what it used to be. I blame beer.
Lol! Yeah, I remember the beer day's, long time ago. Lol!

Lol! Yeah, I remember the beer day's, long time ago. Lol!
Lol, if you remember the beer days, you weren't drinking enough! If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. Right? ?

Cant do that poop no more.... I'd be hungover for a week. I haven't had alcohol since my 51st birthday.
Wow. I didnt know u couldn't say the S word here.. They switched it to poop. Lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back