Pivot Ball Maintenance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just replace the parts already dude. Come on. You are spending time and money on materials to fix a worn out part that costs as much??
It's time to replace. IMHO.
Jb weld is permanent and you will need to replace the balls needlessly at some point as well as the arms together. When new I use E6000/Shoe goo after I prethreads the arm first. I never have my balls stripped out anymore, yet it is removable and adjustable for camber still. The above assumes we are talking about the front arms and Pillow balls.
Update:
Turns out the jb weld isn't permanent. Pivot ball discharged on last bash after using it and letting it set for 24hrs. Will be ordering the M6 thread replacements.

Update after some hard bashing last weekend, pivot balls are rock solid with the helicoil inserts, no movement.
This is my new go to solution.

Update after some hard bashing last weekend, pivot balls are rock solid with the helicoil inserts, no movement.
This is my new go to solution.
How much did the helicoil cost you? JB weld would not work because there were basically no threads left in those arms. Also, JB Weld only works on very clean surfaces FWIW. Even the slightest amount of machining oil from hardware will prevent JB from working.
But I give you credit for giving it the Old College Try. :cool:

Tools and set of 24 helicoils is ~$12 on ebay or $14 on Amazon, link is an earlier post.

Fully stripped arms are no issue as you drill it out and re-tap. Cleanliness is no issue either.
No idea how much individual helicoils are, with 24 I can bash for a while. They probably sell in 100pcs for $10-15 while you just re-use the tools.

By all means, its still limited experience of maybe 8 packs. Previously, I always had the ball come out, not necessarily all the way but enough for dog-bones to pop. Last packs on 2 rigs, absolutely solid.

I used similar inserts to "upgrade" the trans case on my Savage. Instead of coarse screws into plastic, I used the inserts and fine thread cap screws with LocTite. Never again an issue of stripping stuff, or being afraid to take it apart because screws into plastic never quite grip the same after a few removal/reinstalls.

The inserts could be good for many areas of RC trucks, IMHO.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back