Pivot Ball vs Steering Block (only my opinion)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARRMA-GET’M

Reaction score
I think the biggest reason for changing the design is for manufacturing purposes and costs… The pivot ball steering block design has less moving parts and is more robust and reliable and easy to maintenance. It’s also cheaper to stock spare parts vs multiple smaller parts that MAY or MAY NOT be frequently purchased by consumers and possibly complaints from consumers about practical prices. These days ppl like brute power and brute force so a more robust design was inevitable. ENJOY THE VIDEO😆

Loves me some “pillow balls.” One of the things that really made say, “wow, this makes way too much sense” when I first went to Arrma 6s rigs.

Loves me some “pillow balls.” One of the things that really made say, “wow, this makes way too much sense” when I first went to Arrma 6s rigs.
ARRMA calls it a pivot ball… even if you search “pillow ball” The search results still show you pivot ball.

3C8FB0F8-B723-4B96-AAB9-64C54D7552D9.jpeg

I think it’s a better design as well. It is much more robust, easier maintenance, cheaper to mass produce, and the parts are more likely to sell as opposed to multiple smaller moving parts that customers may or may not need. I did this video for a subscriber who was asking me to explain the differences between the two and why they changed the steering block design. My only gripe is that the pivot ball Design puts the tires on their side walls when turning.

I like the c hub setup on my ET48.3 and D8T more than the pbs on the Kraton or Outcast. But that is just me.

ARRMA calls it a pivot ball… even if you search “pillow ball” The search results still show you pivot ball.

View attachment 254752

I think it’s a better design as well. It is much more robust, easier maintenance, cheaper to mass produce, and the parts are more likely to sell as opposed to multiple smaller moving parts that customers may or may not need. I did this video for a subscriber who was asking me to explain the differences between the two and why they changed the steering block design. My only gripe is that the pivot ball Design puts the tires on their side walls when turning.

It took a lot of trial an error and tuning parts to get my Infraction to hold a turn. The tires go on the sidewalls as you say and therefore less contact patch. The front understeers because most of the tire isn't on the ground, so Arrma tried to rectify that by making the rear oversteer with a thicker sway bar in back. That's the way I see it

I see it more of a tuning option, I see pivotballs maybe having an advantage in some situations, but I like C-hubs. When the C-block is made from alloy it's durable great for bashing IMHO. I think Arrma uses pivotballs because the 6s line is based on the old Durango DEX8 and they just ran with what they had and cut costs. It's durable enough for bashing and it works, so they didn't "fix" it. It seems like the race buggies went back to C-hubs stock with a pivotball front end as an option nowadays.

It took a lot of trial an error and tuning parts to get my Infraction to hold a turn. The tires go on the sidewalls as you say and therefore less contact patch. The front understeers because most of the tire isn't on the ground, so Arrma tried to rectify that by making the rear oversteer with a thicker sway bar in back. That's the way I see it

I see it more of a tuning option, I see pivotballs maybe having an advantage in some situations, but I like C-hubs. When the C-block is made from alloy it's durable great for bashing IMHO. I think Arrma uses pivotballs because the 6s line is based on the old Durango DEX8 and they just ran with what they had and cut costs. It's durable enough for bashing and it works, so they didn't "fix" it. It seems like the race buggies went back to C-hubs stock with a pivotball front end as an option nowadays.
C-hubs are fine, but I prefer pivot/pillow balls. When properly dialed in they work great and I love how easy it is to adjust camber any way you wish. You don’t have that ability with most C-hub cars.

I can agree with that., and yea the other was called C hub, I didn’t mention that in a prior video of mine so thanks.
C-hubs are fine, but I prefer pivot/pillow balls. When properly dialed in they work great and I love how easy it is to adjust camber any way you wish. You don’t have that ability with most C-hub cars.
The only way I’ve been able to tailor the camber on the limitless platform is adding washers behind the pivot ball. I’ve only ever seen a tie rod on C hub vehicles. Do you have any rc’s with pivot/pillow design and also tie rod? I’ve never had the privilege to see one.

The only way I’ve been able to tailor the camber on the limitless platform is adding washers behind the pivot ball. I’ve only ever seen a tie rod on C hub vehicles. Do you have any rc’s with pivot/pillow design and also tie rod? I’ve never had the privilege to see one.
I just adjust camber by screwing the top pivot ball in/out on my Infraction. I don't feel that washers are necessary as the threads are really tight and I've never had it go out of adjustment in the near on two years that I've been driving it.

I can agree with that., and yea the other was called C hub, I didn’t mention that in a prior video of mine so thanks.

Adjusting camber isnt a problem with the two styles. The pivot ball style is stuck with a lot of positive caster even when you move the clips to the back of the front upper arm. The ton caster on these is what make the wheels camber (tilt) when turned and go back vertical when straight. On the plus side positive caster helps it track straight and be stable, which is what makes Arrmas great speed runners IMO. I got my infraction to corner well, so pillow balls can be dialed in, yet it still might handle even better with C hubs. Either set up isn't better or worse, just trade offs.

I've seen a lot of RC brochures I haven't seen any pillowball/tierod hybrid... some of the higher end C-hubs RCs have adjustable caster pills or hubs with a different caster spec.

Adjusting camber isnt a problem with the two styles. The pivot ball style is stuck with a lot of positive caster even when you move the clips to the back of the front upper arm. The ton caster on these is what make the wheels camber (tilt) when turned and go back vertical when straight. On the plus side positive caster helps it track straight and be stable, which is what makes Arrmas great speed runners IMO. I got my infraction to corner well, so pillow balls can be dialed in, yet it still might handle even better with C hubs. Either set up isn't better or worse, just trade offs.

I've seen a lot of RC brochures I haven't seen any pillowball/tierod hybrid... some of the higher end C-hubs RCs have adjustable caster pills or hubs with a different caster spec.

Off subject, who do y’all think would win in ac race, speedy gonzales or road runner?

Well that’s more Porky Pig’s fault than it is mine but he tried his best😆
What If someone invented a steering design that gave you + caster going straight and adjusted the suspension to give you the perfect camber/caster while under a turn.. would you “buy” something like that? What are some of your critiques about a concept like that?

Last edited:
I just adjust camber by screwing the top pivot ball in/out on my Infraction. I don't feel that washers are necessary as the threads are really tight and I've never had it go out of adjustment in the near on two years that I've been driving it.
Good to no.. Thanks!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back