Granite Pivot balls and end links what everyone using?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizzle000

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
hey everyone so this Was the first time/ weekend that I have takin this new Granite blx out for some fun. ran probly 8 packs threw it, today I put it on the table to give it a through cleaning etc and tanker around a check things out.. apron taking the tires off I was surprised on what I was seeing, I knew that the steering had some slop from the factory, and was thinking about getting upgrades etc to try and take some slop out, but this seemed like a lot more. What I have now is all of my steering pivot balls are warn out! Some are ovaled Same with the end links they are just flopping around . I am also noticing the shock end pivot balls are deforming as well. Is this a normal thing to exspect, exspecialy on a brand new rc car that literally has 10-12 packs threw it?

i guess now I’m wondering what everyone is using hot racing pivot balls? Any other options? the one issue I have is in Canada I can use amazon has some stuff or eBay has a bit, but takes ages to get.

Good question, I’d like to hear what the veterans have to say.

@MrTitanium was going to try these pivot balls -Associated 81398 (steel units), Not sure if he tested them out though

@MrTitanium was going to try these pivot balls -Associated 81398 (steel units), Not sure if he tested them out though

Installation was a breeze and fit is tighter than the HR and Arrma units. No doubt that these will take more of a beating too, but the plastic ends will surely suffer instead.

FYI: 3 bags of ASC81398 are needed to complete one truck.

Hmm mmk I ordered som hr pivot balls for now sucks they take so long to arrive I guess it’s one of those things have to keep replacing end links... iv heard of rpm rod ends anyone ever use them?

Last edited:
I used traxxas 5525 rod ends on my granite. They screw straight into the stock arrma turnbuckles. The hollowballs are a little narrower than the stock arrma ones, so you need some washers to take up the slack, but they work great. Took away a lot of the slop that had developed over time.
Im not convinced about the hot racing pivot balls. Ive heard they wear out fairly quickly as well. I find the traxxas ones in my slash have lasted forever.

Attachments

• shopping.png
    shopping.png
    193.4 KB · Views: 82
I used traxxas 5525 rod ends on my granite. They screw straight into the stock arrma turnbuckles. The hollowballs are a little narrower than the stock arrma ones, so you need some washers to take up the slack, but they work great. Took away a lot of the slop that had developed over time.
Im not convinced about the hot racing pivot balls. Ive heard they wear out fairly quickly as well. I find the traxxas ones in my slash have lasted forever.

those look like they would work pretty well...i think i will give that a go as well thanks!

Steel pivot balls are better, aluminum isn't the best solution. But the Hot Racing pivot balls come as a complete set, shocks, rod ends, and even the little pivot balls for the steering link, you don't have to piecemeal a set together. They don't last forever but are a good alternative to the stock composite pivot balls.

The Hot racing are a perfect fit, not too big, not too small. I've had no issue with the Hot Racing pivot balls in 3 months of bashing. I think the Hot Racing are the most widely used. As with many products, I tend to believe the most widely used is the best bet (for the money). As for complaints, you have to realize the most widely used is also going to have the most complaints. Doesn't mean the product is no good, just means with so many users, some will run into problems and complain. One downside to Hot Racing is they tend to go out of stock and you have to wait. But that's of course because everyone is buying them.

Last edited:
I had my LHS install my hot racing pivot balls on my armor granite BLX, along with several other upgrades. When he completed it, I had this leftover. Does anyone know if these are extras, or did he miss a few? Thanks

MVIMG_20200617_075558.jpg

Shock ends and servo arm.

Looks like you are one short now for the shocks?

You’ll want to do the servo arm as that will help tighten up steering some.

Sorry but I do not have a lot of faith in your LHS installer.

I had my LHS install my hot racing pivot balls on my armor granite BLX, along with several other upgrades. When he completed it, I had this leftover. Does anyone know if these are extras, or did he miss a few? Thanks

View attachment 85948
Im not sure what the round 2 are for,but the others are for the shock

The round ones are for the servo arm, which is connected to the servo saver. the other ones fit in the hole at the bottom of the shocks. Depending on what other upgrades you got, they may not be necessary. Did you upgrade your shocks and servo arm? If you did, which shocks? which servo arm? Also, I don't understand why you have only 7 shock ends, 8 come in the package, there is no place to use only one of them.

Last edited:
The round ones are for the servo arm, which is connected to the servo saver. the other ones fit in the hole at the bottom of the shocks. Depending on what other upgrades you got, they may not be necessary. Did you upgrade your shocks and servo arm? If you did, which shocks? which servo arm? Also, I don't understand why you have only 7 shock ends, 8 come in the package, there is no place to use only one of them.

Thanks for all the responses. I did upgrade my shocks, I went with GPM, just because after reading some posts, they seem to fit without any modifications. I did notice however, that the top and bottom portion of the shocks, where they're mounted, do wiggle quite a bit. Not sure if this is normal or not. Maybe he didn't use the hot racing ones because they wouldn't fit? Not sure....

I did not upgrade the servo arm.

Maybe he misplaced one, that's why he only returned seven?

Thanks all!

I did not upgrade the servo arm.
Then your LHS should have installed those. The stock ones wear out and it's a pain to get to. I don't have the GPM shocks, but if they are a straight fit, your LHS should have installed the others as well.

Last edited:
Then your LHS should have installed those. The stock ones wear out and it's a pain to get to. I don't have the GPM shocks, but if they are a straight fit, your LHS should have installed the others as well.
Cool, thanks. I'm pretty sure the GPM's were a straight fit. But there is some wiggle room at the top and bottom. I'll try to see if the leftover pivot balls can fit. Here's where there's wiggle room (the top and bottom eyelets?). There's play on both the top and bottom of all four shocks. Not sure if that is normal, or if it's a big deal.

MVIMG_20200617_142555.jpg

Did you get the stocks back? Not to say you will have the same issue, but GPM has been noted to not hold up well.
Yes my LHS did give me the stock OEM shocks back.

Hard to tell for sure, but looks like he used something else for the shocks. Which is fine, and a little bit of play is normal. Also I wrote before the Hot Racing were for the bottom of the shocks, but they may be for the top as well (I have different shocks). So looks like they may be left over because they used a different method.

Hard to tell for sure, but looks like he used something else for the shocks. Which is fine, and a little bit of play is normal. Also I wrote before the Hot Racing were for the bottom of the shocks, but they may be for the top as well (I have different shocks). So looks like they may be left over because they used a different method.
Ok cool. I'll see if the hot racing ones fit in these shocks. If not, I'll just keep it the way it is. Thanks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back