PLA in Shock Oil for Travel Limiters?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildvoodoomagic

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Mojave
  3. Notorious
Has anyone used PLA for shock limiters? I am looking to make some for my 2wd Slash on-road build but I didn't know if there was a reaction or any issues with PLA and silicone oil. I plan to use the PLA inside of the shock to limit the extension of the shock.

Would they break down quickly in silicone shock oil?

Having precise travel limiters would be amazing, instead of messing around with hand cutting nitro fuel line.

Thanks everyone!

Internal shock Limiters are nice to dial in shocks perfectly.
Maybe you can try some PLA testing. Let sit in silicone oil on the bench for several weeks. Examine and evaluate from there?:unsure:
I don't know much more about 3D printing and materials. Maybe PLA is fine. IDK.
Hopefully the 3D guys have better info ?

PLA with silicone oil will have no negative effects. (Provided your printer prints its layers correctly ,that's not going to start separating with repeated vibrations...)

The main thing to worry about is the strikes your PLA spacers will experience when you bash hard and your rig takes a rough tumble or hits something hard at an odd angle and causes the PLA spacer in the shocks to over compress, which would very likely crack & split..
I suppose you can make the spacer really thick -that takes up nearly the diameter of the internal volume- with 100% infill,
should make it tough enough..

Or, you could use TPU /NinjaFlex that may be more durable, but requires you to have a directdrive extruder to feed/print properly.

Guess the only way to really know is to try it out and see.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back