Granite Plastic Diffs??? really?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revomikey

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Senton 3s
Doing some basic checks today i became very aware of the diff fluid, they felt like they were very loose and i like a tight diff.

Easy to strip, it's a well designed car but i was amazed to see plastic Diffs in there, is that common? To be fair, it seems tough and now I've thickened it with 100,000 it's driving like i want but i just wondered how tough these plastic Diffs are?

Last edited:
I heard they’re very tough. Stuff like that is how they get $100 below competitors. On the surface it’s terrifying but hey, for the people who’ve owned it, it’s held up.

Yep. Folks don’t tend to have much problem with the plastic diffs. The gears inside are metal, which helps. Turns out, once the teeth get as big as they are on the ring gear, if you use decent plastic they aren’t the weak link!

Yeah, it’s a pretty smart tactic. Make oversized diffs and use plastic instead of metal. However, I suspect this is why the a arms have so little meat around the hinge pin, as to seat those oversized diffs, the bulkhead has to be bigger.

You all make perfect sense, thinking about it that way. Thanks guys, i was beginning to think i would have to upgrade them.

You all make perfect sense, thinking about it that way. Thanks guys, i was beginning to think i would have to upgrade them.

If there is 1 cup you "need" to upgrade.. Its the centre diff one.. If a rock gets wedged in between the cup and chassis long enough.. It will go..

If there is 1 cup you "need" to upgrade.. Its the centre diff one.. If a rock gets wedged in between the cup and chassis long enough.. It will go..
The Granite has no center diff.

The ring and pinion are the only plastic gears on the whole car asside from the spur gear on the clutch... which is straight cut, and will fail eventually.

Asside from that @Revomikey how is the 100k cst oil working?! I just changed my front to 30k and rear to 20k... turn in is WAY better on loose stuff with less ballooning and diffing out.

Last edited:
I put 30k front and rear and it seems way better at bashing. This was one run, which was also my first day with my ramp, so grain of salt and all that, but it seemed better. Time will tell.

I put 30k front and rear and it seems way better at bashing. This was one run, which was also my first day with my ramp, so grain of salt and all that, but it seemed better. Time will tell.

Probably my favorite mod so far is going up to 30k up front. Entirely different machine.

Doing some basic checks today i became very aware of the diff fluid, they felt like they were very loose and i like a tight diff.

Easy to strip, it's a well designed car but i was amazed to see plastic Diffs in there, is that common? To be fair, it seems tough and now I've thickened it with 100,000 it's driving like i want but i just wondered how tough these plastic Diffs are?
My fireteam 6s has composite diff shell metal gears but I just did mine after about 15 packs after stock and they seem fine if you do strip don't use locktite eats plastic just drill the hole a little deeper and use longer screw obviously be carefully but they do on occasion come from factory with a stripped dif screw

My fireteam 6s has composite diff shell metal gears but I just did mine after about 15 packs after stock and they seem fine if you do strip don't use locktite eats plastic just drill the hole a little deeper and use longer screw obviously be carefully but they do on occasion come from factory with a stripped dif screw

This thread is like 4 years old 😁

Wow, I forgot I made this thread, to clarify the diffs are solid, really good and tough. I think I've changed one in four years

i stripped the clutch outdrive on my typhon (which i sold) maybe you'd say the diff is tough, but not me....

maybe.........

The reality is- what works for some may not work for others. You seem to have a bad experience with your typhon. I have the same diff and slipper in my big rock and its taking some down right good abuse for me so far... nothing wrong with differing opinions on things. Thats how we figure things out 😉

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back