Kraton plastic spur?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spence

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hi guys, I love my kraton, yes I'm not happy about the traxxas BS lawsuit over the pushrod suspension on the nero... Just a bogus fiasco...

Anyway, I don't care for the forged $20 a pop spur gears as metal on metal the spur gears start to wear and peen over pretty quick, taking the pinion gear with it...

I have used robinson racing hardened 14t pinions on 6s, and tekno 14t pinions.

Is there a strong nylon FRP spur gear that will just bolt on? Very satisfied with the durability of the rest of the drivetrain...

Thanks
-Spence

Are you saying that you are chewing through spur gears on your Kraton?
yeah kinda, the teeth start to mash up and bend over pretty quick so I have to keep changing gear mesh, and in general metal on metal straight cut gears are noisy... I just think fiber reinforced spurs like the erevo 2.0 would be more durable and way cheaper.

yeah kinda, the teeth start to mash up and bend over pretty quick so I have to keep changing gear mesh, and in general metal on metal straight cut gears are noisy... I just think fiber reinforced spurs like the erevo 2.0 would be more durable and way cheaper.

Maybe you mesh if off because I’ve never heard of people chewing though spurs. I’ve run probably 20 packs through my Kraton on 6s and mine is fine. I always leave a little lash. So if you hold the pinion and wiggle the spur it moves a tiny bit. Maybe you mesh is too tight?

Maybe you mesh if off because I’ve never heard of people chewing though spurs. I’ve run probably 20 packs through my Kraton on 6s and mine is fine. I always leave a little lash. So if you hold the pinion and wiggle the spur it moves a tiny bit. Maybe you mesh is too tight?
I always leave a little slop, I just wished spurs weren't $20 a pop lol... Cause they don't last a super long time. Maybe a dry lube like graphite lube for locks?

@bicketybam is right. You should check your mesh. In 30 years I have always set mesh the same way - gently firm together by feel, but not aggressively tight. You can feel a good mesh, and the difference of too tight or too loose. You will learn the feeling.

I run way more power than stock. Tp power 4070cm 2200kv, 20/50 pinion/spur, 6s graphene with probably 12 runs, and both pinion/spur look new. Robinson hardened pinion.

Daughters outcast running stock esc/motor, 16/50 pinion/spur, 6s, with 6x runs, and both pinion/spur look new. Robinson hardened pinion.

Sounds like your gear mesh is too loose and the teeth on the pinion are catching the edge of the teeth on the spur instead of the inside. My first spur gear this happened to, lasted me maybe a month. My second spur has been on my Outcast since like October or November of last year and it still looks fine.

There is the 46t Team Durango spur, but I think they are getting hard to find. You might also look for a Losi 8 spur, I hear they fit.
One of the guys on the Arrma forums was saying that the spur from the Basher Sabertooth works as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back