play. how much is to much?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
3 week old outcast has been beaten badly and lower shock rod end and body damage only show. Waiting not so patiently on replacement noticed upper shock screw backed out one shock with damage. No big deal tightened her up and found I can wiggle the lower a arms what to me seems a lot. And sitting still the tires can be moved in and out (camber) a lot. When backing up the front wheels turn side to side with out steering in put. Am I over thinking this or have I not got everything tight enough?

You can tighten these up easily. There is an upper and lower joint, and the tighten screw is right behind the wheels. Tighten them until the play is gone but still moves freely. I have had to tighten mine regularly so either it's normal or we both have problems.

The pillow ball cap screw seems to loosen up on its own sometimes. As Dhorner said, snug them up, then back off 1/8 a turn at a time till they move free, with just a hit of play. Also, on the upper arm, on the inboard pin make sure you still have the little caster clips that prevent the arm from moving forward and backward. I lose these all the time too.

Last - yeah, it sounds like it might be time for a teardown to get to know your truck, plus check for loose screws, swap diff oils, clean the factory goop out the the bearings and relube, etc... If this is a first RC, do the rear first, just because it is easier. Get it all together, then do the center, then the front. Maybe divide the front between hubs and diffs, and steering and a-arms. The whole front end can be a big job.

looks like the only way you can get those caster clips is by buying the arm set. I'll have to check mine when I get home as well because I felt as if I had a bit much of play in the front end

I had a left upper ball come out last night on a violent kart wheel on asphalt. Those caster clips you mentioned my kraton has several front and rear the outcast only has one in the front. (L and r) I wonder if I could just mic them and install plastic washers . I am already in the market for rims tires and arms after a go at 6s and found some rebar in the neighbors yard

I had a left upper ball come out last night on a violent kart wheel on asphalt. Those caster clips you mentioned my kraton has several front and rear the outcast only has one in the front. (L and r) I wonder if I could just mic them and install plastic washers . I am already in the market for rims tires and arms after a go at 6s and found some rebar in the neighbors yard
Interesting. I was looking at the owners manual and it shows 3. Guess I'll see what I got when I get home haha. Also let me know if washers work. I was thinking that as well. They wouldn't just pop off at that point

looks like the only way you can get those caster clips is by buying the arm set. I'll have to check mine when I get home as well because I felt as if I had a bit much of play in the front end

I use these -
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=003058064&I=LXDPSD&P=K

This Mugen set has several thickness, from I think .06 up to .14, then skips to 2.0. The Arrma 1/8 cars need a total of 4mm of spacers, although I end up using about 3.5 in my v1 Kraton / Typhon. Any more and they start to bind. Also, FYI, moving the arm forward / back is supposed to change how 'responsive' the car turns.
FYI #2, the Arrma front end is a near copy of the Mugen front end. Reportedly, there are several Mugen parts that fit. I have not tried any others, though.

I did try washers when I first started losing these clips. They work, but are a PITA to install, unless you put them all in front of the arm, then the steering is a bit sluggish.

EDIT - FYI#3, the stock set up is to have 2mm of spacers on each side of the arm - one 2mm spacer on once side and two 1mm spacers on the other.

Last edited:
I use these -
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=003058064&I=LXDPSD&P=K

This Mugen set has several thickness, from I think .06 up to .14, then skips to 2.0. The Arrma 1/8 cars need a total of 4mm of spacers, although I end up using about 3.5 in my v1 Kraton / Typhon. Any more and they start to bind. Also, FYI, moving the arm forward / back is supposed to change how 'responsive' the car turns.
FYI #2, the Arrma front end is a near copy of the Mugen front end. Reportedly, there are several Mugen parts that fit. I have not tried any others, though.

I did try washers when I first started losing these clips. They work, but are a PITA to install, unless you put them all in front of the arm, then the steering is a bit sluggish.

Good info. Ty

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back