Outcast Playing in the snow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colemn615

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey first time post. I have an Outcast 6s v4. I want to play around in the snow and have some paddle tires on the way. Until then the snow isn't too deep in some areas and I am playing around on concrete that has a couple inches of snow.

I am curious about any after run things I should do other than let it dry out?

It would be good if you make sure your bearings are moist-free before letting it dry, so they don't rust. Just spray some WD-40 (it is hydrophobic/moisture repellant), or blow away all the water with a compressor

It would be good if you make sure your bearings are moist-free before letting it dry, so they don't rust. Just spray some WD-40 (it is hydrophobic/moisture repellant), or blow away all the water with a compressor
Hmm wish I had taken a look before I let it dry out. In this case it was just packed with snow. I got as much out when I was outside (gotta love this Arctic weather we have right now -10). I couldn't get it all out which is why I flipped it upside down and let it dry out in the warmth.

Guess I should give it a once over before I bash it again.

Hmm wish I had taken a look before I let it dry out. In this case it was just packed with snow. I got as much out when I was outside (gotta love this Arctic weather we have right now -10). I couldn't get it all out which is why I flipped it upside down and let it dry out in the warmth.

Guess I should give it a once over before I bash it again.
DO NOT USE WD40!! It atracts dirt into the bearings and anything it's sprayed on. Air dry it super good with a compressor or towel dry it really well. Pull the wheel bearings out check them and dry them super good. If they feel tight or don't spin right you can repack them with new red an tacky grease. And you can spray the car down with a dry silicone spray to protect to screws and prevent rust on the shafts etc.

DO NOT USE WD40!! It atracts dirt into the bearings and anything it's sprayed on. Air dry it super good with a compressor or towel dry it really well. Pull the wheel bearings out check them and dry them super good. If they feel tight or don't spin right you can repack them with new red an tacky grease. And you can spray the car down with a dry silicone spray to protect to screws and prevent rust on the shafts etc.
I also fly RC Helicopters and we have to oil the bearings in the motors every so often and have to grease some of the thrust bearings every year.

Are there any type of bearings I could eventually replace the stock ones with that are more water resistant?

I also fly RC Helicopters and we have to oil the bearings in the motors every so often and have to grease some of the thrust bearings every year.

Are there any type of bearings I could eventually replace the stock ones with that are more water resistant?
Fast eddy's is a common choice, jim's bearings are a good choice too. Anything with rubber seals will be better then the metal shielded stock bearings. Avid bearings is another choice too.

Indeed, you shouldn't use it as a lubricant, because it evaporates too quickly. But that also means that it can't attract dust, because it is already evaporated when you'll use it again.

Indeed, you shouldn't use it as a lubricant, because it evaporates too quickly. But that also means that it can't attract dust, because it is already evaporated when you'll use it again.
Yes wd40 100 percent atracts dirt. Dry or brand new. WD40 is the worst thing you could do to your bearings and rc rigs. If you wanna use it cool but don't recommend something to a new guy that will desrtoy his bearings etc. Silicone spray yes, wd40 hell no.

Good to know. Internet seems to say the same. Why exactly does everybody use it as a way to clean bearings and everything than?

You may want to put tape over the vent holes in your wheels if you have not vented the outside of the tires. I didn’t do that, and there was so much water in my tires that it would run out of the holes when I squeezed the tires several days after driving in the snow.

Good to know. Internet seems to say the same. Why exactly does everybody use it as a way to clean bearings and everything than?
cause some still think it's a lubricant. It's not it's a cleaner/degreaser, wd stands for water displacement. Trying to explain that to my 65 year old dad is like trying to pull teeth. He loves that crap.

cause some still think it's a lubricant. It's not it's a cleaner/degreaser, wd stands for water displacement. Trying to explain that to my 65 year old dad is like trying to pull teeth. He loves that crap.
I'm gonna chime in on this. It is a water displacement product, so using it after you bash in the snow and rinse off the truck makes sense. I actually spray a little on before I run in the snow, and then again when I finish rinsing it off. This means that when I'm applying it, all the parts are rinsed clean. So far, it's had no adverse affect on the bearings or anything else. I'm definitely not using it as a lubricant, but it also doesn't damage the seals on the bearings which is helping to increase their life span. I would never spray it on before a dry run in the dirt, but as I said before, I do spray it on after rinsing the truck off. So far, so good.

I'm gonna chime in on this. It is a water displacement product, so using it after you bash in the snow and rinse off the truck makes sense. I actually spray a little on before I run in the snow, and then again when I finish rinsing it off. This means that when I'm applying it, all the parts are rinsed clean. So far, it's had no adverse affect on the bearings or anything else. I'm definitely not using it as a lubricant, but it also doesn't damage the seals on the bearings which is helping to increase their life span. I would never spray it on before a dry run in the dirt, but as I said before, I do spray it on after rinsing the truck off. So far, so good.
Alot of guys do and all the power to them. I know you know your stuff but I really don't like using wd40 on anything really. Even their special silicone spray is garbage. I find it works it's way under the hub shaft and just sits there and doesn't evapourate then when you go run next the dirt gets in there like a magnet.

Im trying to figure out how can i protect my hardware from rust in the long run. I took my mojave apart and what a bloody mess wd 40 is. My bearing grease turns all black and creamy.
I did a bit of tests with greases and marine grease is by far the best i took 3 old bearings packed them with different greases. Marine grease, multi purpose grease, and red n tacky. Result red and tacky rusted same for the multi purpose one. I droped all the bearings in a water container for a week and the marine grease bearing still spun like it was butter but the outer race became black in a few spots
Is there a dry lubrican that is good enough to protect from rust. Even after everything is dried goodluck drying water reside of screw head in hard to reach areas.
So far silicone spray seems to be the best. I do have some PTFE spray but they don't claim to be waterproof

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back