Playing with some fans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fpvmiller

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Between my kr6s and my infraction I'm going to bump up the cooling on the motors.

I got hold of two sets of yeah racing heatsink and fan. The original plan was to install as is but looking at the setup I had a curious idea.

Since I will need to put a screen on the fans anyways (to prevent debris) I figured why not try to make a full enclosure for the fans.

I also wanted to play with the idea of just having the fans blow air straight onto the motor vs using the heatsink. This is just me playing around. No scientific theory/logic behind removing the heatsink except to see if there is a difference (negligible, good, bad).

To use the fans without the heatsink will require a custom mount which I am also working on. But for now just wanted to share some creativeness with everyone (y) :giggle:

The fans
yr_fan1.jpg

Fan casing
yr_fan2.jpg

yr_fan3.jpg

yr_fan4.jpg

Fan shroud/cover
yr_fan5.jpg

yr_fan6.jpg

yr_fan7.jpg

I plan to at least see if the shroud/cover alone reduces the exhaust velocity.

The support idea is a good one. I was planning to either mount that section over the heatsink that the fans came with OR make a second piece that mounts in that area as well to support it.

Definitely playing it as a modular design :)

The support idea is a good one. I was planning to either mount that section over the heatsink that the fans came with OR make a second piece that mounts in that area as well to support it.

Definitely playing it as a modular design :)
Just need @PPS-RC to make it from stock So the whole thing is a giant heatsink!

That design looks sharp man!

To prevent the fans breaking off big jumps maybe you can add a support underneath?
Like this:

View attachment 77716
Kind of looked like he has the alloy framed fans, so not sure that's necessary.

I just bolted a couple of the alloy framed hobbystar 30mm fans to a new powerhobby dual fan cooler on my outcast. My HW single fan cooler had the fan die on me and I wasn't aware, cooked my motor. Figured I'd run a 2 fan setup so there's at least 50% air flow. My issue with the HS fans was that they are a bit thicker on the sides, so they wouldn't just fit. I had to egg out all the bolt holes. I really need to buy some ss screen...

I really like the look of the cover you have on there, but it stops you from being able to see that the fans are both working.

Just need @PPS-RC to make it from stock So the whole thing is a giant heatsink!

That's actually an awesome idea!!

Kind of looked like he has the alloy framed fans, so not sure that's necessary.

I just bolted a couple of the alloy framed hobbystar 30mm fans to a new powerhobby dual fan cooler on my outcast. My HW single fan cooler had the fan die on me and I wasn't aware, cooked my motor. Figured I'd run a 2 fan setup so there's at least 50% air flow. My issue with the HS fans was that they are a bit thicker on the sides, so they wouldn't just fit. I had to egg out all the bolt holes. I really need to buy some ss screen...

I really like the look of the cover you have on there, but it stops you from being able to see that the fans are both working.

Yeah the fans are alloy framed. But that section is beefy as is. About 3mm of solid material in that general area. The thought about not seeing the fans came up to me too.

If this pans out I plan to fashion a piece of lexan cut to the top area and then just use that as a quick view top cover (y) (y)

If this pans out I plan to fashion a piece of lexan cut to the top area and then just use that as a quick view top cover (y) (y)
That would work well. Could likely fashion some metal mesh on the opening at the back to keep it from sucking grass and stuff in there.

I just ordered some SS mesh on amazon to cover up my fans... having them staring me in the face kind of bugs me. The only mesh I had was plastic'ish (plastic coated nylon string), it doesn't take well to having screws hold it down.

That would work well. Could likely fashion some metal mesh on the opening at the back to keep it from sucking grass and stuff in there.

I just ordered some SS mesh on amazon to cover up my fans... having them staring me in the face kind of bugs me. The only mesh I had was plastic'ish (plastic coated nylon string), it doesn't take well to having screws hold it down.
I believe they are 30mm fans. I also have the HS/fans.

@suchtragedy According to the product specs they are 40ish mm turbo fans.

I was just about to rig up a quick power test to see how much airflow is affected with the cover on vs off.

You're gonna want that heatsink but I like the idea and innovation :D

What size are those anyways, 40mm?
I believe they are 30mm fans. I have these HS/fans set.

It looks better too

Attachments

• 1588228677887.png
    1588228677887.png
    916.9 KB · Views: 51
@fpvmiller, I like the 3D work.(y)
These fans do work best raised at least 10mm from the cooling surface. Sometimes fans direct at the motor works better than a HS. Depends on the HS design and the motor can. The Yeah R. HS is open finned and allows air to contact the motor. The Arrma BLX motor has ribs on the can and most HS cant make much contact to the surface area to make any difference, especially if the HS is closed and wraps the motor's fins only.
Removing the HS is a good idea. I did the same on my Tekno/1900kv. It runs hot and removing the HS and using an Exotek fan mount/fan cools much better. I find most heat is generated at the phase wire end of the can. It migrates to the cans center to disappate. There is much phase resistance in the form of heat at this end of the motor.. That's what my temp reads show at least for all my BL motors.
20200430_143357.jpg
20200430_143236.jpg

@SrC

Many thanks for the encouragement. I was thinking something along those lines when I was inspecting the yr heatsink. If I could just give the fans enough space to get a good "air pocket" in between itself and the motor that should help to get cool air to rush over the motor and take the heat away as well. The heatsinks soak up the heat (depending on the design) the fans would still need to carry the hot air away versus just blowing on it.

I am redesigning the shroud/cover. Yep, it reduced exhaust velocity by a bit. Not enough to choke them but noticeably enough. Working on making an angled intake shroud that should lend itself to some fine wire mesh as a cover.

@fpvmiller doesn't your motor/ESC log telemetry data including motor temps? Would be interesting to see temp comparisons with different configurations in semi controlled testing scenarios.

I just have a hard time reconciling that a HS that provides physical heat transference from the motor across more surface area in the HS fins and then that heat dissipated by fans is less efficient than just fans blowing straight cold air on a closed can motor with no heat transference ? But since I have not tested or measured any of these scenarios myself I can't say anything for sure.

BTW, these Tornado fans are strong for 30mm size . But I got one bad fan. It has a bad inner bearing. It spins fine and fast but dam it makes a screeching high pitch sound. Gives me a headache.:LOL: I cant lube that inner BB without breaking it open. The rear outer BB can be lubed by removing the sticker and using a drop of thin oil and replacing the sticker. I waited too long to check them out and could not return. I bought replacements in the end. They are strong and inexpensive BB fans anyway.:cool:
@fpvmiller doesn't your motor/ESC log telemetry data including motor temps? Would be interesting to see temp comparisons with different configurations in semi controlled testing scenarios.

I just have a hard time reconciling that a HS that provides physical heat transference from the motor across more surface area in the HS fins and then that heat dissipated by fans is less efficient than just fans blowing straight cold air on a closed can motor with no heat transference ? But since I have not tested or measured any of these scenarios myself I can't say anything for sure.
I agree completely. A HS just increases Heat Soak and that slows heat exchange depending on the temps and your setup. The mass of a specific HS determines how much Heat soak. HS by themselves are better than nothing/no fan. Most pro track guys only use fans facing the motor.

Last edited:
@suchtragedy You are correct about the temperature sensor. I was planning on doing a comparison with my sensored setups since the esc does get that information through the sensor wire.

@SrC Once again I concur as well. If you only had a heatsink and no fan then the heatsink (if designed well enough) would be able to get the heat away from the source and hopefully higher up to cooler air for it to be effective. Adding a fan blowing down onto the heatsink seems like the fan would have to have a huge amount of cfm to cool that heatsink. With space between the fan and the motor at least the air has a way to flow around and away from the motor and pull the heat away. But again if the heatsink doesn't cool fast enough you are essentially heating up the source just as much. But yeah that was my thought process when I played with the idea of not installing the heatsink. :) (y)

I noticed a mistake in the Yeah R. HS/fan kit. They say to mount screws and or standoffs on one side of each fan Yet there are 8 threaded holes on the HS to mount the 2 fans. I mounted the screws diagonally to prevent the fans frame from bending with impacts. But in reality ,there should have been 6 standoffs and screws to attach these fans. These fans only have 3 mounting holes. (odd)
I can find screws, but 2 standoffs I may have to make myself. I also placed some double sided tape between both fans and this reduced vibration a lot.

I noticed a mistake in the Yeah R. HS/fan kit. They say to mount screws and or standoffs on one side of each fan Yet there are 8 threaded holes on the HS to mount the 2 fans. I mounted the screws diagonally to prevent the fans frame from bending with impacts. But in reality ,there should have been 6 standoffs and screws to attach these fans. These fans only have 3 mounting holes. (odd)
I can find screws, but 2 standoffs I may have to make myself. I also placed some double sided tape between both fans and this reduced vibration a lot.
You can use some old metal pivot balls. That’s what I did

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back