Please explain replacing the diff oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toolzero

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
Can someone please explain or link a video that shows how to oil or replace the oil in the diffs? I have taken my diffs apart to replace the stock bearings with sealed bearings. I see the grease that comes standard. I don't understand what is involved with changing that out, putting oil in, how the oil stays in there without getting everywhere, etc.

Can someone please explain or link a video that shows how to oil or replace the oil in the diffs? I have taken my diffs apart to replace the stock bearings with sealed bearings. I see the grease that comes standard. I don't understand what is involved with changing that out, putting oil in, how the oil stays in there without getting everywhere, etc.

You are aware the Nero is different than the other Arrma's in that the diffs are set up to be controlled by the diff brain and are filled with grease. You cannot put silicone diff oil into a NERO diff without modifying it. You will need to seal it up.

I sealed mine using M2.5 nylon screws. I found the screws on eBay. The shortest I could find were 5mm long, so I had to cut them down to about 3mm.

There are other ways of doing this as well such as JB Weld. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20170115_193101.jpg
    IMG_20170115_193101.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 69
I sealed mine using M2.5 nylon screws. I found the screws on eBay. The shortest I could find were 5mm long, so I had to cut them down to about 3mm.

There are other ways of doing this as well such as JB Weld. Hope that helps.
You would think Arrma would provide us the parts or a sealed diff to do this for us non brainers that have no want or need to install the brain.

So everyone who is talking about the different weight oils they are putting in their diffs has already sealed them somehow?

The NERO diff cup is like $7 so it's not super expensive to buy a spare set seal up with jb weld and reinstall on the truck. With thick silicone oil in the center diff more shock from the motor will be going to the rear driveline. In stock form with grease inside the diff any large application of throttle balloons out the front tires. After this mod more throttle control will be needed...

The NERO diff cup is like $7 so it's not super expensive to buy a spare set seal up with jb weld and reinstall on the truck. With thick silicone oil in the center diff more shock from the motor will be going to the rear driveline. In stock form with grease inside the diff any large application of throttle balloons out the front tires. After this mod more throttle control will be needed...

Correct me if I am wrong. First I take out the center diff assembly, take it completely apart and remove all of the grease. Next I seal the 6 holes in the diff case with nylon screws/JB weld/etc. Finally I reassemble the diff and diff case like they do in the video, filling it with the weight of oil I want, and reinstall the diff case in the car. Did I miss anything?

What about the front and read diffs? Do they need the same or similar treatment?

Your approach is correct...be careful with the screws that hold the motor assembly in place...they come with locktite from factory...I stripped 1 when doing removal and had to use my dremel to fix...i suggest using a blow dryer to heat them up to lossen locktite.

I filled center only with 500k and am very happy with performance...might do front/rear later...but like how it drives as is

I used 50k in front, and 300k in center. With the slipper tightened a tad, it slips a little then locks, then lets the center diff work. Very nice set up.

Yeah, I stripped 2 of the screws for the center assembly. I need to Dremel slots into them now. Joy.

Highly recommend getting a set of easy outs makes getting stripped screws out easier then risking cutting a slot in a screw potentially damaging something accidentally.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back