Kraton PLEASE Help. 160A 8s Firma in my 6s BLX

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mward3393

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
I'm attempting to mount a Spectrum 160A 8s esc in my Kraton 6s BLX. I can't see how to mount it as of now unless I make a bracket that mounts to the existing esc mount, then vertical and sideways. I swear I have seen people that already have them in their cars so I'm asking for guidance. Thank you!!

Just use two sided tape
I can't get it to fit between the servo and the internal body tower/support. I have the stock servo mount. Do I need to remove the existing esc mount and put in the HR servo mount?

I can't get it to fit between the servo and the internal body tower/support. I have the stock servo mount. Do I need to remove the existing esc mount and put in the HR servo mount?
It's the same size as the Max6, and I can fit it in a Notorious. However the Firma ESC has ears that you may have to cut off to get it to fit and mount it with 3M tape instead of screws. The stock ESC mount has a lip on it that you will have to shave down too in order for the ESC to sit flush

Servo tape and a suitable nylon zip tie around the ESC and under the esc tray for a stay put setup.:cool:

It's the same size as the Max6, and I can fit it in a Notorious. However the Firma ESC has ears that you may have to cut off to get it to fit mount it with 3M tape instead of screws. The stock ESC mount has a lip on it that you will have to shave down too in order for the ESC to sit flush
Ok i don't mind shaving that down. And its definitely easier than welding together a vertical bracket at work and mounting is sideways. Raising the center of gravity

Low and flat will stay better. Its rather heavy and could become a projectile with hard bashing.

thank you guys for the help. I waa making this much more difficult than it needed to be obviously. But with everybody running the hobbywing I'm kinda feeling like my firma 160A will be lacking now? It should have more power than the BLX 185, right?
Low and flat will stay better. Its rather heavy and could become a projectile with hard bashing.
The mount i was going to design would have had it screwed down and secured to 16 Guage sheet metal welded onto â…› in Âľin flat bar. It wouldn't have gone anywhere but the perfect crash could have damaged it

Yes obviously, that 160 Firma is designed to handle 8s. Running 6s gets you more efficiency at the lower voltage setup. Just have to gear accordingly.
6s BLX 185(150amp) is no comparison to the 8s Firma 160( 160 amp). Other's may feel differently?? :unsure:

Last edited:
Yes obviously, that 160 Firma is designed to handle 8s. Running 6s gets you more more efficiency at the lower voltage setup. Just have to gear accordingly.
6s BLX 185(150amp) is no comparison to the 8s Firma 160( 160 amp). Other's may feel differently?? :unsure:
That was pretty much how I was looking at it, when I got horizon to send me the 160A as the replacement for my blx 185 when it started cutting to 50% power after I put in the high-speed pinion and only after a few min. They said the low voltage was turning on prematurely. Think it was something else?

Cut the ears off the ESC shave the lip off of the tray
Wipe bottom of esc and the tray with alcohol and use the double stick tape that comes with ESC and mount it...just finished doing mine yesterday

Cut the ears off the ESC shave the lip off of the tray
Wipe bottom of esc and the tray with alcohol and use the double stick tape that comes with ESC and mount it...just finished doing mine yesterday
Ty. I was just wondering whether I need to cut the ears off or not. I would like to leave them for future applications but can understand needing to cut them
Yes obviously, that 160 Firma is designed to handle 8s. Running 6s gets you more more efficiency at the lower voltage setup. Just have to gear accordingly.
Gearing is something that I am not very proficient at. What would you suggest for the setup?

Start with I usually run a 19.. I run mostly on in concrete and asfault...but it all really depends on how you run and what surfaces you run on... temperatures are very important

Start with I usually run a 19.. I run mostly on in concrete and asfault...but it all really depends on how you run and what surfaces you run on... temperatures are very important
Is the 19 the high speed pinion that comes with it stock? Thats the one that seemed to burn out my 185blx on street

Thank you for the help everybody!!! I got it mounted!!!

Attachments

• 20200801_130949.jpg
    20200801_130949.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 161
Stock Kraton comes with 12/15 pinions.
Stock Noto. comes with 12/16
Just noting the difference in Speed gear sizes. (15T an d16T)
I run my Kraton with 17 right now on 6s. All stock electrics. A bit too hot for 90F temps. At 70F 16 is fine. Going right to 19T pin. may be a big leap too fast. I turn my punch down when things get hot, before I drop a pinion down. You can control some heat with lower punch settings. Use the stock speed gears first or what you have as a guide, just watch temps. Its your only guide to gearing.
:cigar:

Where and how did you mount switch
I mounted it on the existing esc mount with 3m tape that came with the replacement esc from horizon hobbies. I mounted it exactly like the original one but cut off the inner left and outer right mounting tabs to make it easier to fit.

Honestly I had a much harder time running the wiring to the receiver than I did with the esc in the end.

I only did a 4s 5200mah 50c run since I returned my 5200 50c 3s batteries and am waiting on a 6500 100c 6s that finally got delivered to the hobby store yesterday and they said that they would mail it to me. But with that said...the 4s had me satisfied atm. I cant wait to see the 6s!!!
I mounted it on the existing esc mount with 3m tape that came with the replacement esc from horizon hobbies. I mounted it exactly like the original one but cut off the inner left and outer right mounting tabs to make it easier to fit.

Honestly I had a much harder time running the wiring to the receiver than I did with the esc in the end.

I only did a 4s 5200mah 50c run since I returned my 5200 50c 3s batteries and am waiting on a 6500 100c 6s that finally got delivered to the hobby store yesterday and they said that they would mail it to me. But with that said...the 4s had me satisfied atm. I cant wait to see the 6s!!!
It's a good thing I have the 4s batteries for my xmaxx lmao
Anyone have a opinion on the spectrum 5000mah 100c 6s batteries? I had one person tell me they were really good. But I just see the 5000 mah as being an issue. I just won one on eBay for $81 and im hoping I didn't make a mistake in not buying a lesser brand 6000 man 100c 6s

Last edited:
Is the 19 the high speed pinion that comes with it stock? Thats the one that seemed to burn out my 185blx on street
Lets keep in mind the specific rig that the OP is addressing. Some of us have different rigs with differing final drive ratios.
Typhon 6s , Lim., Infr. and 6S (Noto/OC, Kraton) all have different Stock final drive ratios.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back