Please help me make a descision for Kraton EXB 1/5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spider978

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Alright my bros, It finally came in the mail and it's time to start. I grilled lemon chicken breast and made a corn salad from the garden. I have poured a glass of cab, now please help me make a decision.
1) What pinion gear?
2) Max 5 or XLX2?

20210312_220648.jpg

Alright my bros, It finally came in the mail and it's time to start. I grilled lemon chicken breast and made a corn salad from the garden. I have poured a glass of cab, now please help me make a decision.
1) What pinion gear?
2) Max 5 or XLX2?

View attachment 131783
I run the Max 5 on my X-Maxx (I know a different beast) and the XLX2 on my Outcast 8s (almost the same thing as your K8S). They have both been very good ESCS (at least for me) after months of abuse. The XLX2 does have more power. But there's nothing wrong with the Max 5. I will say that some XLX2 have had issues catching fire and going bad, but not mine. I run the XLX2 and 1100kv motor with 35/47 gearing on my Outcast 8s and it's a BEAST with that set up. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for the information. Do you still pop wheelies with the 1100kv? I know the chassis on the Kraton is longer.

Thanks for the information. Do you still pop wheelies with the 1100kv? I know the chassis on the Kraton is longer.
Absolutely! These motors and ESCS are so powerful that wheelies are a non issue with the correct gearing. Even standing backflips are available, but I try to avoid that because of the damage to the drivetrain. Have fun!

I don’t have experience with the xlx2 but I’m running the max 5 with a leopard 58113 1050kv with 34/39 gearing on my k8s.....tons of power and speed. The max 5 keeps up with the amp draw. I’m sure this setup is drawing a ton of amps but not a single issue from the max 5. Motor is at 101f and max 5 at 82f after hard running per my temp gun, I do run high powered fans though.

A glass of cab....nice. I fancy that schit too.

HW Max5/56113
39T Saga pinion.
39T Spur.

Honestly, the difference in the vendor be it HW or Castle is a non issue.....both are the acme of the RC world. I choose HW only because I have experience with them.....and a wifi module for ESC tweaks.

cheers,
kev

A glass of cab....nice. I fancy that schit too.

HW Max5/56113
39T Saga pinion.
39T Spur.

Honestly, the difference in the vendor be it HW or Castle is a non issue.....both are the acme of the RC world. I choose HW only because I have experience with them.....and a wifi module for ESC tweaks.

cheers,
kev
I've never seen a Max 5 have failures like full on fires like some of the XLX2. Even though my XLX2 is going strong after like 3 months of abuse. I guess I got lucky.

I have a XLX2/800kv setup with 39/39 gearing. I enjoy it so far, I have ran the MAx5/800kv HW setup in the past. I will say they are both stupidly powerful for the rigs we have them in. I would go as far to say without GPS and data logging I would say it would be hard pressed to tell a difference. The sensored motor in the Castle is kind of silly for these rigs IMO. Ask yourself how often are you going to be creeping/crawlling around. Also the way you flash software/esc changes HW is much easier which just unplugging the fan and connecting up VS the Castle that you have to pull the whole dang setup and unplug stuff from the REC unless you buy the splitter or B-Link. Also with the castle you will have to purchase additional 8ga wire to go in between the plugs/connectors because they don't ship with the additional wire needed. Also the Castle sensor wire is not standard on the ESC side for whatever stupid reason Castle did this.

I don't want to make it seem like I am bashing on Castle but this new setup is a let down for the $$$$$. Since you own the both roll whichever

Gearing wise the 39/39 is OK.... that is it, full throttle the setup is insane however it takes a bit of throttle to wake the rig up. I am going to try some other gearing combos soon once weather breaks.

Servo wise def go for a 1/5 scale those smaller 1/8 servo really struggle with the K8 not even considering the EXB has wider/taller tires

I have a XLX2/800kv setup with 39/39 gearing. I enjoy it so far, I have ran the MAx5/800kv HW setup in the past. I will say they are both stupidly powerful for the rigs we have them in. I would go as far to say without GPS and data logging I would say it would be hard pressed to tell a difference. The sensored motor in the Castle is kind of silly for these rigs IMO. Ask yourself how often are you going to be creeping/crawlling around. Also the way you flash software/esc changes HW is much easier which just unplugging the fan and connecting up VS the Castle that you have to pull the whole dang setup and unplug stuff from the REC unless you buy the splitter or B-Link. Also with the castle you will have to purchase additional 8ga wire to go in between the plugs/connectors because they don't ship with the additional wire needed. Also the Castle sensor wire is not standard on the ESC side for whatever stupid reason Castle did this.

I don't want to make it seem like I am bashing on Castle but this new setup is a let down for the $$$$$. Since you own the both roll whichever

Gearing wise the 39/39 is OK.... that is it, full throttle the setup is insane however it takes a bit of throttle to wake the rig up. I am going to try some other gearing combos soon once weather breaks.

Servo wise def go for a 1/5 scale those smaller 1/8 servo really struggle with the K8 not even considering the EXB has wider/taller tires
Yeah that's why I prefer the 1100kv motor with 35/47 gearing. I had the 800kv motor with 39/39 gearing and wanted to hit top speed faster which I do now.

The 1100kv is the way to go. I bought both of the 2028 from castle (800/1100). I installed the 1100 first and no way it’s coming out. 35/39 gearing is nuts. I’ll sell the new 2028 800kv tho lol

The 1100kv is the way to go. I bought both of the 2028 from castle (800/1100). I installed the 1100 first and no way it’s coming out. 35/39 gearing is nuts. I’ll sell the new 2028 800kv tho lol
Yeah the 800kv motor works better with 10s. But I'm not going to do that kind of stuff. That's just insane and lots of more $. And the 1100kv motor is easier on the batteries since you can run smaller pinions on it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back