Please recommend me a rotary tool

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cadiere

Reaction score
Hi. I am looking for a rotary tool for polishing work. Can you recommend one for me? Dremel or other brands?
Thanks

I had Dremel's in the past and are good, but picked one up from Harbor Freight that does the job on the cheap.

I don't know anything about the off brands .. but if history is any indicator, Rule #1 is in effect.

Rule #1: You get what you pay for
Rule #2: The best is just barely good enough

I have lots of Ryobi One+ tools so this one works nice for me. It cuts off when you overload it using the carbon cutting disk, but otherwise works great. Id imagine it would be great with polishing.

1618514760250.png

I had Dremel's in the past and are good, but picked one up from Harbor Freight that does the job on the cheap.
does it use the dremel style bits?
Harbor freight... w/ coupon!
There is no more blanket 20% off coupon. Now every week they have a selection of items that are up to 20% off

Never skimp on tools, well unless you like buying more tools. I've had my Dremel for over 15 years, it gets used a lot, and is still going strong. (y)
Same here, except mine was purchased in 1994 (27 years old). :)

It has siblings now, but that one is still going strong - and uses bits from today.

does it use the dremel style bits?

There is no more blanket 20% off coupon. Now every week they have a selection of items that are up to 20% off
I saw this and was like come on seriously, now they want you to sign up for their $30 a year membership thing......

But I also recommend the Harbor Freight one https://www.harborfreight.com/variable-speed-rotary-tool-kit-31-pc-68696.html I've had mine for 5 or 6 years now. Be forwarded the accessories that come with this are basically garbage and dangerous to use imho, all of my grinding stones flew apart as did the cuttoff wheels, buy actual Dremel accessories to use with it, the sanding drum and polishing wheel are fine.

If you want cheap and quick, that's fine - just don't expect it to be a Dremel and don't forget Rule #1. There's a reason that it's only $23. While I have no direct knowledge of the HF unit, the point that the bits are dangerous and break apart speaks volumes.

If you want cheap and quick, that's fine - just don't expect it to be a Dremel and don't forget Rule #1. There's a reason that it's only $23. While I have no direct knowledge of the HF unit, the point that the bits are dangerous and break apart speaks volumes.
The Chicago Electric rotary tool is basically the DS Servo of rotary tools, it's cheap comes with some crap accessories and works just as well as units that cost 3 times as much. I've already gotten at least 5 years out of mine so I cannot complain.

Another budget option is a corded WEN 2305 on amazon for $21. Even comes with a flex shaft attachment. Probably could use the accessories if you don’t like it.
If I am not sure if I am going to use a tool much, I’ll by a cheap version (usually HF) and if I use it enough to break it I buy a good one. In one case I want the nicer version but haven’t broken or lost them yet so I am waiting...
Hurricane

I have bought an imeshbean electric rotary tool, it's cheap, but the machine works very well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back