"Plush" Shocks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy0987

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Senton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
So what makes a shock "plush". I've always just used the stock 3s shocks and they work fine for me with the stock weight shock oil in them. But I always hear about people using "better" shocks that feel nice and plush on landings.

So what makes them so plush compared to the stock shocks?

Is it the right combination of spring and shock oil weight, does the internal design of the shock have any impact on the way the shock works, better orings, aluminum shock bodies etc? Do all these things combine to make the shock work better?

I guess in short, my question is, with the right tuning of correct springs, shock oil and preload, can the 3s shocks perform just as good as the more expensive shocks out there?

Better shocks? Arguably Aarrma has one of the better designs out there, all the aftermarkets are inferior in comparison for multiple reasons. By all means I am not a shock expert though. There is a different shock cap design out there (M2C) which minimizes the rebound but that isn't 'plush' in my opinion.
Plushness is hard to explain but main difference for shock absorption is the internal piston, which comes with various hole diameters. Combined with shock oil weight and spring strength this would be my guess on 'plushiness'. Smaller holes give more resistance to the shock oil i.e. 'stiffer', with larger holes it becomes less resistant (plush??).

Either of these 2 items (shock cap) or piston will most likely get you to the desired level.
The stock versions come with several pistons for desired levels.

Pistons AR330339
https://www.arrma-rc.com/interactive-exploded-view/ARA106040T1/AR330339

Clipboard01.jpg

All of what the above poster said is true. But there’s more to it. More restrictive valving in the shock requires a stiffer spring, to counteract the slower flowing fluid, but then if you go too far that way you wind up with a brick that has no suspension.

Plush to me would suggest a progressive, or dual(maybe triple)rate spring setup, so that you have little spring resistance for the tiny bumps, and the shock can do it’s job soaking up and damping the rough terrain. In that same breath I’d have to say that you want fairly stiff springs if you’re going to be doing any kind of jumps or racing, because with soft springs comes body roll, and no ability to dampen the force of landing a big ass jump.... it all depends on what you would like the truck to do.
Going fast in a straight line on pavement requires a different setup than say going around a corner as fast as possible without loosing control..... and once you add full on jumping into the mix, it can get a little complicated

plush are the tekno shocks. I have an mt410 and shocks are hand down no question the best. Plush is they hit the ground and just don't bounce no matter and rides real nice. just broke down and ordered them from ebay for my granite v2, hope they work as they do on the mt410, 100 bucks for shocks is a heavy load.

Oh my GOD my granite handles like a mini mt410. best upgrade ever tekno shocks on granite blx 3s wow what a difference. just doesn't flip over, just rides straight over bumps dam I was so hesitant to drop 100 on shocks trust me when I say that, but very very happy with the results now! Totally changed the way the granite handles and now when I drop it from 3 feet there's no bounce at all. There was before the shock upgrade. Now I have a bunch of 1/10 scale shocks including original and new parts that fit the granite. Anyone interested? I'll take inventory and post it if that's appropriate on this site? can't wait till tomorrow morning to go out with the granite (and MT410) again!

Oh my GOD my granite handles like a mini mt410. best upgrade ever tekno shocks on granite blx 3s wow what a difference. just doesn't flip over, just rides straight over bumps dam I was so hesitant to drop 100 on shocks trust me when I say that, but very very happy with the results now! Totally changed the way the granite handles and now when I drop it from 3 feet there's no bounce at all. There was before the shock upgrade. Now I have a bunch of 1/10 scale shocks including original and new parts that fit the granite. Anyone interested? I'll take inventory and post it if that's appropriate on this site? can't wait till tomorrow morning to go out with the granite (and MT410) again!
Could you please tell more about how you set those Tekno shocks up? Springs, oil viscosity? Like in the manual (with bladders and vented caps) or differently?

I got all the info from this site. I bought the shocks on e-bay and although I was apprehensive, it did work out all good. The shocks I got where the corresponding bags from a SCT410.3. Apparently this guy on e-bay buys the SCT410.3 and sells the parts, idk. But I got the shocks apart in a bag as you would get when you buy a tekno kit. The tekno stock shocks call for 700cst front and back and that worked extremely well on the mt410. Now for the granite, I had nothing to go on, so I though, it's heavier that a stock granite cause I upgraded the steering and other stuff with aluminum. So I just guessed at 42.5 weight oil or 563 CST from Losi. A little lighter than tekno stock 700 CST and used it on both front and rear. After two beautiful runs I think am going to leave it like it is least for a while. Note that the front drive shaft comes awfully close to the shock springs when doing tight turns but it's fine. I bought the shocks here and they delivered it in 4 days. https://www.ebay.com/itm/312082133925 https://www.ebay.com/itm/142674171334 The bad news is how expensive they are! But they ride really sweet! no regrets but a lot of apprehension before deciding to drop 100 bucks on it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back