Polishing rough edges...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPWSRC

Cake Boss RC pit crew!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 4s
  4. Nero
  5. Outcast 6s
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Typhon 3s
So, I recently bought a lightly used Granite mega that I upgraded for my son. It had some rough spots that I wet sanded flat with 200 grit. The body looked pretty good otherwise with no cracks or major rash. I asked my LHS if they though it was possible to buff these areas out and the employee replied "No". Well I've painted and refinished a few track M/C's and my own cruiser, and a couple of personal vehicles so...I said it can't hurt trying... well the proof is in the pudding. Sure the deep stuff is still there but I was able to level the damaged areas and bring the shine back with a Lil bit of polishing glaze on a 3" buffing wheel. Looks good enough for a gift. 😜

20211201_141405.jpg

20211201_141408.jpg

20211217_163552.jpg

20211217_163556.jpg

So, I recently bought a lightly used Granite mega that I upgraded for my son. It had some rough spots that I wet sanded flat with 200 grit. The body looked pretty good otherwise with no cracks or major rash. I asked my LHS if they though it was possible to buff these areas out and the employee replied "No". Well I've painted and refinished a few track M/C's and my own cruiser, and a couple of personal vehicles so...I said it can't hurt trying... well the proof is in the pudding. Sure the deep stuff is still there but I was able to level the damaged areas and bring the shine back with a Lil bit of polishing glaze on a 3" buffing wheel. Looks good enough for a gift. 😜

View attachment 186791

View attachment 186792

View attachment 186794

View attachment 186795
Wow!!! That's pretty close to new man. Heck of a job!

As luck would have it, (well, mine anyway) , I recently came across some RC tools and other gear ( including 3-4 sets of $ 30-40
micro buffing wheels and a 3m perfect-it system of polishes) from a recently widowed friend who was into RC's and worked at a local RC shop. So besides scoring a handful of tools and hardware, these buffing wheels were in the lot. Put one to use here. I was just gonna let it go as is because I didn't want to spend 100 or more to buff a few small spots on an RC that's only gonna get beat up anyway, but figured what the heck, I got all I needed now, might as well give it a shot.
It ain't perfect, but if anyone here has similar stuff on hand ,don't just buy what the LHS clerk says and give it a try, you might be pleasanlty surprised with the results.

That looks great!
I have two Granite shells and a Mojave body that can use some of that TLC skills ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back