Kraton Popping sound coming from cap pack?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenwm

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Mojave
  4. Senton 3s
  5. Typhon 3s
  6. Vorteks
Good morning guys!

I have a used 160a esc I’m putting in my Xlwb

It was working fine but after I removed the old zip ties and added new ones to keep wires secured to the cap pack

I noticed electrical type crackling / popping sound coming from cap pack area

Is this esc going bad... is this dangerous to use!

Thanks guys

Did you open it up?..

you probably pulled a wire from the pack board and it's arcing.. without opening the pack and inspecting, your guess is as good as ours...🤷

Thank you sir

Never done that

I Will see if there’s YouTube video
😁
Just opened it up ... I don’t think I just did this removing the tape

Black wire not even connected anymore

Is this an easy fix?
Is this a necessary fix?

BC0660F3-876D-4927-9D1F-ADFB89950EE2.jpeg

3D9E6F74-5F65-42E1-B137-1522DB6303EA.jpeg

Last edited:
Bingo.. there is the issue... Esc should be fine as long as the short didn't happen for long..

It is an easy fix if you have access to a decent soldering iron.. if not I would see if anyone local to you could solder it up for you..

Are you using the esc for speed runs or just general bashing? If you are not using it for speed runs you could also remove the cap pack completely.. The wires would need to be cut fairly short, and capped in some way..(usually heat shrink)...

Bingo.. there is the issue... Esc should be fine as long as the short didn't happen for long..

It is an easy fix if you have access to a decent soldering iron.. if not I would see if anyone local to you could solder it up for you..

Are you using the esc for speed runs or just general bashing? If you are not using it for speed runs you could also remove the cap pack completely.. The wires would need to be cut fairly short, and capped in some way..(usually heat shrink)...
Thank you sir

Not necessarily speed runs but was hoping to use this to bash but I do want it to be able to just blast it full speed for awhile!! 😁

I actually just picked up a cheap Sealody soldering station
Never soldered anything yet ...my buddy supposed to teach me next week... but maybe I’ll will research and see if I can do this myself

Thank you sir

Not necessarily speed runs but was hoping to use this to bash but I do want it to be able to just blast it full speed for awhile!! 😁

I actually just picked up a cheap Sealody soldering station
Never soldered anything yet ...my buddy supposed to teach me next week... but maybe I’ll will research and see if I can do this myself

Excellent.. it is a good thing to have under your belt.. keep that iron tip hot, clean and seasoned/ tinned, it should last you quite a while..👍..

You will get the hang of it in no time..✌️.. but don't practice on the cap pack..😂😂..

Good luck my friend..

There are tons of YT video’s that show how to setup your soldering Iron for the first time…BEFORE you solder anything. Also, I would remove all the tape and inspect the CAPS. If there is any damage (swelling) to any of the caps, chuck it and get a new set.

Sure is good you caught it!! Happy trails….

Thanks for the advice guys!!

Don’t know what’d I do without google or YouTube or this forum!!

I Will definitely practice my first couple solders on something worthless LOL

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back