Kraton portable/foldable ramps for park use

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's your definition of portable? What type of vehicle would they need to fit in?

I made one out of an old card table. It folds flat

Attachments

• IMG_2691.JPG
    IMG_2691.JPG
    596.4 KB · Views: 173
I made some that were 2'x4' that was just 2x4' pieces of 1/4" plywood with a pair of hinges at the end. Not having a curved face was more upsetting to the trucks though, so since they fit perfectly in the trunk of my grand marquis to cover the extra deep trunk well, I just left them in there to store stuff under. lol

Just sold my last MGM, so now I just have them sitting in the car port.

I used a bit of rope so they would fold down easily and the rope keeps them upright when I wanted to use them. Can't recall what I tied the rope to....

2004-0718-HopkinsPark-Tripod-Ramp.jpg

Sorry... my camera from 15 years ago was clearly awful. That's a screen grab from a video I found on my computer. Guess I didn't think to take a picture of it.

The plastic ramps from discountramps.com aren't too heavy in case you don't want to make your own.

Attached is my crude plan for making something like what you are talking about. The top would over hang at the rear by about 75mm so that hitting the ramp will be smooth. That's not reflected on my drawing. I just got to get time to go and make them, but since then I measured the boot of my tarago and my wife's landcruiser and have more room than I thought.

The type that @olds97_lss describes would be very effective as well so I could go down that track. I also like the ingenuity of @Outcastblxnut as well. The problem for me with that plastic ramps is the amount of space they would use in the back of my car. If I had a ute it wouldn't be an issue

Attachments

• RC Ramp Concept.jpg
    RC Ramp Concept.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 256
This was my first or second version of ramps with legs vs making an inverted V. This made the plywood very rigid:

Horrible video, but in spots you can see the ramps up close. I can't for the life of me remember how I attached the legs. I think with bolts/wing nuts as I needed it to be portable. Now that I think about it, I think these had the face of the jump made out of 1x8's or 1x6's. They were super rigid and I didn't care for it. Was also ridiculously heavy to lug around.

I think if I took the ramps I have (the inverted V version), added another 2 feet to them with plywood on hinges about 12 inches from the bottom, I'd at least have a softer transition while still having ramps that fold completely. I preferred the V type ramps because you could hit them in both directions. Made it a bit more fun and wasn't overly heavy. I cut slots in the sides like a handle to carry them.

Really though, I have enough places to bash with either skate parks or hills, I don't really bother with them anymore.

Attached is my crude plan for making something like what you are talking about. The top would over hang at the rear by about 75mm so that hitting the ramp will be smooth. That's not reflected on my drawing. I just got to get time to go and make them, but since then I measured the boot of my tarago and my wife's landcruiser and have more room than I thought.

The type that @olds97_lss describes would be very effective as well so I could go down that track. I also like the ingenuity of @Outcastblxnut as well. The problem for me with that plastic ramps is the amount of space they would use in the back of my car. If I had a ute it wouldn't be an issue

Neat. I have a feeling you have bigger jumps in mind than me :)

I'm looking to make a makeshift race track with some jumps for interest rather than big air.

Wondering if I can do something clever with a few IKEA BRADA laptop stands, a few pieces of hardboard and some tent pegs. Hardboard is heavy though.

The plastic ramps from discountramps.com aren't too heavy in case you don't want to make your own.
Discountramps.com doesn't look to have anything for skateboards and bikes anymore. It's ramps for loading you atv/utv/snowmobile/dirtbike/4 wheeler into the back of a pickup or trailer. :(

Are there any good portable/foldable ramps to take down the park to create a track with jumps?

Hi,
Our basic "portable" ramp;

A bit too much narrow, from kids perspective. But we don't use it that much since we go at the local tracks.
PL

Last edited:
This was my first or second version of ramps with legs vs making an inverted V. This made the plywood very rigid:

Horrible video, but in spots you can see the ramps up close. I can't for the life of me remember how I attached the legs. I think with bolts/wing nuts as I needed it to be portable. Now that I think about it, I think these had the face of the jump made out of 1x8's or 1x6's. They were super rigid and I didn't care for it. Was also ridiculously heavy to lug around.

I think if I took the ramps I have (the inverted V version), added another 2 feet to them with plywood on hinges about 12 inches from the bottom, I'd at least have a softer transition while still having ramps that fold completely. I preferred the V type ramps because you could hit them in both directions. Made it a bit more fun and wasn't overly heavy. I cut slots in the sides like a handle to carry them.

Really though, I have enough places to bash with either skate parks or hills, I don't really bother with them anymore.
olds97_lss Enjoyed that video, brings back the old days of nitro. Have a 2.5 Tmaxx with those same wheels, won't never sell it, we have too much history!

I had every intention of building something like that but I didn’t have the parts so I built one in less than 15 mins. It’s a 2 part so it doesn’t take up much room. Mind you I drive a pickup.

At least go for a cheap breakfast ??
No way, that is a mongrel place that I find I'm still wondering aimlessly around for hours if my wife ever gets me there. I've told her that it is reason enough for divorce! I now sit in the coffee shop across the road for hours on end reading the paper if I need to go withing 100m of that place

Wish I took more photos while putting it together ( don't mind the mini ramp next to it). But you get the idea of the construction. I used 3/4 plywood and 1x1s for the frame and 1/4 plywood bent to shape on top of it all. Great ramp, adjustable angles and it fits into my tiny Ford focus! My outcast has been seeing big air.
IMG_20190621_122337.jpg
IMG_20190621_122316.jpg
IMG_20190621_135330.jpg

A friend recommended wheelchair ramps. Some can be folded or rolled. Anyone tried them?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back