Portable RC Ramp ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Voltage
So, let me start this by saying I have already built two ramps. The first one didn’t hold up in the center due to MANY higher-speed ramps with my Kraton 6s. My kid’s RC’s and my nephew’s E Revo didn’t affect it… just my big beast. Anyway, I built the second one quite a bit more “robust” and man! This thing is a pain to carry around!

So, my question is, what have y’all worked out to be the best options for bringing a decent ramp with you to bash? I don’t particularly care for the straight ramps. We like the ones that have a good curve to them for lift instead of distance.

The idea of it being easily collapsed and reassembled is kind of up there for my next attempt. I’ve made both around 3 feet(36”) wide to keep it easier for my daughter to use it with us, as she’s relatively new to driving…. because it’s definitely not me struggling to get lined up at times!!! LOL!!

Thanks
I just noticed multiple threads already posted on this subject… I’ll be giving them a read

I just built a prototype for my Granite BLX.
My plan was to design something: 36" wide, adjustable up to 16" high, curved launch surface, and light enough to carry to the park 5 blocks away.
This is the CAD model:
https://a360.co/3H0xTew
I attached a pic of V1 during assembly
and a video clip during initial trial
https://mcpcore.host/wl/?id=NqXgd5RghIxqgUxN74wVf6LvpZpfWJvl
It weighs in @ ~10lbs and folds down to 14" x 36".
The surface is Coroplast (Corrugated plastic for yard signs and posters)

BE026337-2567-4B01-AFCF-A9843BCBE6D1.jpeg

Welcome to the forum! And dang, that is really nice work! Thanks for sharing it. I'm guessing you have access to a laser cutter?

I don't currently have anything for a ramp, I'll probably try a scrap piece of plywood to start, resting on something. But this is really nice. And I do have access to a laser cutting, so this is an intriguing idea for getting a nice curve to the shape, without a lot of tricky hand-cutting. I like the Coroplast idea, too. Especially since there are supports under the center as well, for stiffness.

It will be cool to see more of it!

That’s awesome and I like the ingenuity!! That looks great for the smaller 1/10 scale RC’s for sure. The 1/8 would destroy it unfortunately!😭

I made a two piece one that’s fairly light duty and easy to carry around. And can use it as a short jump or bigger kicker. Fireteam doesn’t bother it… idk about heavy 1/5 scales at 60mph though

EC871B6A-898A-402B-8814-AB906EC7ECAC.jpeg

F6741712-6EF0-4691-A9BE-83EF23F0DD4F.jpeg

3152D0F4-859D-422A-BB92-8C0D0D373203.jpeg

Welcome to the forum! And dang, that is really nice work! Thanks for sharing it. I'm guessing you have access to a laser cutter?

I don't currently have anything for a ramp, I'll probably try a scrap piece of plywood to start, resting on something. But this is really nice. And I do have access to a laser cutting, so this is an intriguing idea for getting a nice curve to the shape, without a lot of tricky hand-cutting. I like the Coroplast idea, too. Especially since there are supports under the center as well, for stiffness.

It will be cool to see more of it!
The original version used laser-cut ribs for the curved section. There were a few problems with those ribs. 1 being they were only 3mm craft plywood. This was actually plenty strong for on-ramp ops, but fell short when the off-ramp antics resulted in the truck crashing into the exposed ribs.
Another problem was the left and right edge of the ramp surface had no protection, so no problem as long as you hit the ramp with all 4 wheels, but it turns out this cannot be guaranteed and resulted in the truck's chassis ripping chunks of coroplast out at the edges.

So on to V2! This time I cut the ribs out of 1/4" Plywood with the router spindle since the laser cutter isn't quite up to the task. Also added 1/2" of overlap for the edges to protect them from the inevitable near miss.

Out at the park today for testing, and it was brilliant. I totally abused this thing for an hour, and It was solid the whole time.
We were trying to jump over this pile of ground up xmas trees and I included a montage video showing the silliness. I did eventually clear the pile in the final clip. I'm a newbie at jumps, so go easy on me....

After the Xmas pile, I relocated to the atro turf soccer field, and was able to hit this thing at full speed straight on and landed 2 or 3 (single) back flips getting about 10-15' of air.
Sadly I lost my camera team during the re-location, so no video clips from the soccer field

Some pics from V2 build:

34E12622-9B15-4A99-9844-CA5C7CB1D78E.jpeg
91AD5124-57B4-45DE-B7A7-E30949D09C13.jpeg
E597B939-C96F-4223-9D60-09F97D04C134.jpeg
8D222DC8-1063-4138-B7A7-6568C9901315.jpeg
B584596F-3C78-4614-8B20-BCBF2478E9F4.jpeg
9AE0D62E-7D18-433F-AD95-151A09D02C2D.jpeg
F5C52303-857B-4EC4-B6F6-7FC80220E3A6.jpeg
95F203FA-DFAF-40C6-8424-1FE590536C04.jpeg
0E42DC8E-EC5D-411E-B22C-1CD93777E436.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh man, that is awesome!! Fantastic! I love the design, the performance, and the fact that it folds up nicely. Being able to go from CAD, to physical parts, without hours of measuring, sawing, sanding, etc, is so great.

I just got my truck, and haven't really gotten to do any jumping yet, so I'm a total beginner. I'd love to have a way to practice correcting the orientation in the air, without the truck just landing on its head. A mulch pile or something sounds great. I was trying to think of what you could use, for soft landings. A leaf pile, maybe. Or we need a giant ball pit.

This is great, nicely done, and thanks for sharing it.

Nice design! I had thought of making one that style too, but hadn't thought of hinging the deck. Great tweak... not just for portability but lets you adjust the curvature slightly when at steeper or lower angles. You don't have any problem with those slides slipping and the deck dropping at the pivot? I mean worst case you could put a rock underneath to prop it up, so just curious.

Nice design! I had thought of making one that style too, but hadn't thought of hinging the deck. Great tweak... not just for portability but lets you adjust the curvature slightly when at steeper or lower angles. You don't have any problem with those slides slipping and the deck dropping at the pivot? I mean worst case you could put a rock underneath to prop it up, so just curious.
Today was only the second time out with this design, but I had no issues with the aluminum bar slot slipping inside the wooden leg slot. If it did slip I think it'd just need to be more aggressively tightened.

Today was only the second time out with this design, but I had no issues with the aluminum bar slot slipping inside the wooden leg slot. If it did slip I think it'd just need to be more aggressively tightened.

That would be my thought too. Absolute worst-case, instead of making it a slot, they could be a series of discrete holes. Put the bolt (or maybe spring-loaded pin) through the hole you want, and it's not going anywhere. But just tightening it more, maybe with larger wing-nuts to grab, would be the simpler place to start.

Back