Granite Possible Mega steering slop fix?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bench grinder gets all sorts of use. :D

My grinder is a dremel, lol. It would have been a pain to shave off that lip on the bottom of the balls. I'd love to replace all of the plastic pivot balls on the rod ends with metal ones. It's when they wear that the steering goes south. When my Granite BLX was brand new it handled so well. Now not so much. The other option is to just keep replacing the plastic pivot balls but that is a pain in the ass. Maybe someone will come out with aftermarket steering linkages. As long as the popularity of the BLX 100 trucks grows, I can see this being a real possibility.

From what I saw on mine, the plastic balls wear down to the point that the tie rods fall down away from the center of the ball. The rod end sitting around the smaller section of the ball causes a lot of slop. Putting the short pieces of silicone tubing in keep the rod ends at the center of the ball, eliminating the extra slop from wear. Trust me and just try it for the tie rods. Just 8 little pieces of tube.

From what I saw on mine, the plastic balls wear down to the point that the tie rods fall down away from the center of the ball. The rod end sitting around the smaller section of the ball causes a lot of slop. Putting the short pieces of silicone tubing in keep the rod ends at the center of the ball, eliminating the extra slop from wear. Trust me and just try it for the tie rods. Just 8 little pieces of tube.

Are you sure it isn't the hole in the tie rod ends getting expanded?

20181116_114315.jpg

For me the center of the balls are certainly worn down. They are liable to be a softer composite intended to be a wear item. Replacing the balls with metal is going to make the rod end the wear item. I intend to keep the balls as the wear item, but alleviate the slop that seems to come on prematurely by using the silicone bushings.

For me the center of the balls are certainly worn down. They are liable to be a softer composite intended to be a wear item. Replacing the balls with metal is going to make the rod end the wear item. I intend to keep the balls as the wear item, but alleviate the slop that seems to come on prematurely by using the silicone bushings.

That makes sense. I ordered all new balls and I'll try your fix. Thanks!

This is another instance of intentionally letting something wear out first. I don't understand it. Those rod ends are about $8 for a whole set. If the balls are wearing out quickly before the ends why are you letting them? I would put the metal balls in and if the rod ends are wearing out too quickly I would try to find something more durable to replace them with. If you were breaking an expensive part because of it I could understand but putting something in to intentionally let it wear out first is beyond my comprehension. I must be missing something. Please explain this to me so I understand.

I think Traxxas makes 3 different thicknesses for the pivot balls, so should be able to find a thinner one. I’ll try to post a pic of the 3 different sizes I have.

I think Traxxas makes 3 different thicknesses for the pivot balls, so should be able to find a thinner one. I’ll try to post a pic of the 3 different sizes I have.

Can you try them and see what fits?

Can you try them and see what fits?

I meant that they are different lengths end to end. The actual ball parts are the same.

I measured the Arrma hollow balls and they are 6.88mm in diameter. The Traxxas ones are 5.75mm. I was just thinking you could use one of the smaller ones with your Traxxas steering link so you didn’t have to grind down the chassis.

image.jpg

Took me a while to find this thread. I think we may have the answer to the steering slop. Hot Racing has come out with metal pivot balls as a direct replacement for the stock plastic ones. I just ordered some: https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=ATF160B02;c=1345

I will let you guys know how they are.

I've been noticing my steering servo works well, adjusts well, but never can get it straight either. Please let us know if you feel any difference. I'd like to get mine going straight by taking that slop out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back