Typhon Possible new Typhon 3S BLX running on 2S ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superticky

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion EXB
Hello everyone !

So my daughter is almost 10 and she has been using RC cars since she turned 4 years old. Her 4th bday present was an ECX mini Ruckus 1/18 and turning 7 she got a mini e-revo 1/16 brushless. She said she is ready for a new bigger car but I've been looking and looking for a good match for her until I saw the new Typhon 3S coming out !!!

She is not ready for 50mph even thought she has been driving since 4. My question and reason for this post is: How fast would the Typhon 3S run with a 2S pack and stock gearing ? I am looking around 30 mph max which she can handle. Her mini e-revo currently hits 30 mph.

With this car we have room to upgrade in the future to 3S. I don't mind gearing up a little bit to match around 30mph with a 2S but not sure if a 4x4 with a 3200kV motor would handle this correctly. I like this platform to be super light and flex plastic parts which should be easy/cheap to replace or upgrade. I am pretty sure she will break stuff and that's why she had a all plastic traxxas easy to repair. I'm sure ARRMA plastic is way better and more durable. We are also ready to move on from Traxxas for her. Rustler 4x4, revo 4x4, Slash 4x4 are NOT options in my list.

Typhon 6S would be overkill for her and out of the budget. We are looking for the best $300 4x4 light basher option and this new Typhon looks promising!. She is not very into monster trucks, so Granite is out of the list. She is more truggy / buggy style. I also like the 1/8 scale of Typhon vs other 1/10 options. I think 1/8 will give her more stability and should cover better the short grass.

We drive our cars in open areas, public parks with little hills, very short grass mixed with dirt. She likes to go fast and jump on every little hill she can find :) We also have small skateboard ramps. Always drive short grass areas to increase durability on parts.

I drive a Notorious, my wife drives a very smooth Team Associated RC10T4.3 , my son just turned 4 and got a Tacon Valor MT 4x4 1/14 . We are a crazy family !

Please let me know your opinions.

Thank you guys.

For grass the buggy is a little underslung... Dirt and pavement it would do good... For jumping, again imho it doesn't have the clearance... I would look into the Senton or Granite BLX on 2s... Both are better in the grass and off the jumps... Add 3s and you can pop wheelies and do some decent flips. From the reviews I've seen 2s seams to be perfect for youngsters.

For grass the buggy is a little underslung... Dirt and pavement it would do good... For jumping, again imho it doesn't have the clearance... I would look into the Senton or Granite BLX on 2s... Both are better in the grass and off the jumps... Add 3s and you can pop wheelies and do some decent flips. From the reviews I've seen 2s seams to be perfect for youngsters.
It'll run just fine on 2s

This test shows 25mph

Make sense it’s slower than the rest, since the gearing is lower. By that I mean the gearing is the same as the MT trucks, yet the wheels are smaller.

That was an awful speed check. In both instances he never goes long enough to get it up to top speed. 38 mph top speed on 3s? ? Come on.

Well according to my spreadsheet it should be able to achieve 44.65 mph with the 15t pinion. The stock granite calculates to 49.61 mph. The Senton comes in at 54.97 but the drag from the body will lower that for sure. BRCC comes in the same as the Granite (49.61). Drag will affect all of the calculated top speeds (as well as wind and surface conditions). The Typhon should have the lowest drag coefficient of them all.

We are probably splitting hairs but a top speed of 38 just seems low to me.

In that maybe it's not worth it going 2S even for my daughter ? , maybe 3S with the old trick of adding a piece of foam in the trigger to limit the full throttle :) bicketybam your spreadsheet is with 3S right ? do you have the 2S formula as well for an estimate ?

Also I was thinking on upgrading the wheels and tires to either buggy badlands or buggy Lockup. Both of them should be a little bit bigger that stock wheel/tires right ? which should give it a little more speed I would think.

Thank you guys for all your comments !

In that maybe it's not worth it going 2S even for my daughter ? , maybe 3S with the old trick of adding a piece of foam in the trigger to limit the full throttle :) bicketybam your spreadsheet is with 3S right ? do you have the 2S formula as well for an estimate ?

Also I was thinking on upgrading the wheels and tires to either buggy badlands or buggy Lockup. Both of them should be a little bit bigger that stock wheel/tires right ? which should give it a little more speed I would think.

Thank you guys for all your comments !

If I owned the 3s version of the Typhon, the first thing I'd do is put a 20t pinion on it. It's supposed to be fast!

All calculations were on 3s. On 2s the Typhon comes in at 29.77 mph.

Last question: 29.77 mph on 2S with stock pinion or adding the 20t ?

Thanks buddy !

Attachments

• 41F539F0-1887-4D9F-BB0B-8E81E4D2D964.jpeg
    41F539F0-1887-4D9F-BB0B-8E81E4D2D964.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 55
@bicketybam, what’s wrong in my calculation?

Nothing as far as I can tell. I use a spreadsheet created by BoloSpeed. Maybe the BoloSpeed spreadsheet uses a different volt per cell calculation.

20181227_125729.jpg

This test shows 25mph

Make sense it’s slower than the rest, since the gearing is lower. By that I mean the gearing is the same as the MT trucks, yet the wheels are smaller.
So according to that guy, the Typhon is faster in grass than on pavement? LOL. On the pavement run you can hear him get on the breaks before the car is finished accelerating... Lame.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back