Outcast Post your battery setup and approx. runtimes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xplatinum

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I'm still undecided on the type of setup I want to go with on my Outcast. I'm new to RC so I don't have much to base my decision on. It's either:

2x 2S
1x 4S
2x 3S
1x 6S

No matter the setup I'm unsure about what capacity to go with hence why I'd like to approximate run-time figures to give me a rough estimate. At ~75$ a battery I don't want to take a wild guess and regret it. I read on this forum that 1 battery might be a better pick due to less weight. My local shop doesn't have 6S batteries with decent capacities though.

Thanks!

A 2x3S or 2x2S setup is a bit more flexible, since it allows you to use the same batteries in smaller vehicles that run on 2S or 3S batteries. Also, if you have other cars/boats/whatever that run on 4S or 6S, you can redistribute the weight using a 2x setup.

If you haven't driven an RC before, you might want to start with 2x2S or 1x4S.

I'm planning to run mine on 5S LiFePO4 (equivalent to about 4.5S LiPo), which should be interpreted by the stock ESC as a 4S pack, offer a moderate boost in performance over 4S, and give me all the longevity/safety advantages of LiFePO4. Downsides are cost and weight.

@xplatinum I would certainly agree with the above. 6S can be a recipe for disaster for people who's familiar with the hobby but almost certainly for those new to the hobby. New or not you can almost expect tearing things up with 6S. 4S is still a ton of power, speed, and lots of fun.

Yup to this:

@xplatinum I would certainly agree with the above. 6S can be a recipe for disaster for people who's familiar with the hobby but almost certainly for those new to the hobby. New or not you can almost expect tearing things up with 6S. 4S is still a ton of power, speed, and lots of fun.

I am running a 4S single brick...gobs of torque and plenty Fast.
I will be changing the pinion to 16T because I would like a little more top end.
Good compromise is to get the very best 4S you can afford...and by that I mean max C rating.
Any battery above 6500mAh with a C rating of 60 or more, will be entirely sufficient.
Check out the SMC 4S, 6700mAh, 90C.
Beast battery...good run times and plenty o' power.
6S off the hop is almost instant suicide IMHO!

Agree with all of the above !!! And you still have the option of putting in that 16 tooth pinion on 4s for some extra grunt.
But there's no better felling strapping in a 6s brick on after draining a 4s :D !!

I'm aware that run-time varies greatly with driving conditions but I'm just looking for a rough estimate to expect with X mah.

A 2x3S or 2x2S setup is a bit more flexible, since it allows you to use the same batteries in smaller vehicles that run on 2S or 3S batteries. Also, if you have other cars/boats/whatever that run on 4S or 6S, you can redistribute the weight using a 2x setup.

I'm planning to run mine on 5S LiFePO4 (equivalent to about 4.5S LiPo), which should be interpreted by the stock ESC as a 4S pack, offer a moderate boost in performance over 4S, and give me all the longevity/safety advantages of LiFePO4. Downsides are cost and weight.

@skeeler I had a e-Revo brushless a couple years ago. I was running it with at 6S but mostly on flat surfaces or dirt. I was just not lucky enough to have any jumps to sink my tooth in. Since then I moved like 70KM from there so I'm not really aware of what this place has to offer. What batteries do you run it with and what's your average run-time?

@WoodiE Like I mentionned to skeeler, I have experience with an e-Revo brushless on 6S batteries. I'm torn because I would be dropping 700$ on an RC but holding out on performance. But I totally get that faster is not necessarily always better. Since I don't have any bashing potential (up to now) around my house, speed would be the only thing to really push the truck for the money. What batteries do you run it with and what's your average run-time?

Yup to this:

I am running a 4S single brick...gobs of torque and plenty Fast.
I will be changing the pinion to 16T because I would like a little more top end.
Good compromise is to get the very best 4S you can afford...and by that I mean max C rating.
Any battery above 6500mAh with a C rating of 60 or more, will be entirely sufficient.
Check out the SMC 4S, 6700mAh, 90C.
Beast battery...good run times and plenty o' power.
6S off the hop is almost instant suicide IMHO!

@Buck You're talking about this one? Maybe that's what I should do. 1x4S and 1x6S. Begoracing doesn't have big capacities for 6S though :( What batteries do you run it with and what's your average run-time?

Agree with all of the above !!! And you still have the option of putting in that 16 tooth pinion on 4s for some extra grunt.
But there's no better felling strapping in a 6s brick on after draining a 4s :D !!

@Camo I'll need to look into changing that pinion then if it's not installed out of the box :D What batteries do you run it with and what's your average run-time?

I'm aware that run-time varies greatly with driving conditions but I'm just looking for a rough estimate to expect with X mah.

@skeeler I had a e-Revo brushless a couple years ago. I was running it with at 6S but mostly on flat surfaces or dirt. I was just not lucky enough to have any jumps to sink my tooth in. Since then I moved like 70KM from there so I'm not really aware of what this place has to offer. What batteries do you run it with and what's your average run-time?

@WoodiE Like I mentionned to skeeler, I have experience with an e-Revo brushless on 6S batteries. I'm torn because I would be dropping 700$ on an RC but holding out on performance. But I totally get that faster is not necessarily always better. Since I don't have any bashing potential (up to now) around my house, speed would be the only thing to really push the truck for the money. What batteries do you run it with and what's your average run-time?

@Buck You're talking about this one? Maybe that's what I should do. 1x4S and 1x6S. Begoracing doesn't have big capacities for 6S though :( What batteries do you run it with and what's your average run-time?

@Camo I'll need to look into changing that pinion then if it's not installed out of the box :D What batteries do you run it with and what's your average run-time?

I run a turnigy 5000mah 4s and get around 25mins thrashing it on grass dirt and I run a turnigy 6000mah 6s and get around 45 mins of thrashing.
The 6s is heavy man ! I want a light 6s two of them if U want longer run time. You have to balance the rig if you want to jump high and once you get the taste u will love it. I run the 4s on 16 tooth in the skate bowl and backflip easily with the grip.
Depends what u want ? The 6s will do standing back flips any day of the week but tends to wear the rig a lot more. Hard call get one of each bra :)

@Camo 1000mah more gives you almost double run-time? Either way 6000mah for 45 minutes is more than I thought. I'm assuming having two 6000mah would double the run-time?

I'm having such a hard time figuring out what I want haha. Ideally I would go for 1x4S and 1x6S but my local store doesn't have high-capacity 6S'. That way I could have went light AND have the possibility to swap 4S for 6S.

I bought a pair of 3s recently, I can't help myself but to max out whatever the rig can handle. I've never even tried 4s :)

These are working flawlessly, only $70 shipped for the pair with XT90 connectors installed and ready to go. Use code rctech10, cells balance perfect, fit the tray with room to spare side-by-side, which seems to work much better than one on top of the other. I'm getting about 15-20 minutes of hard running on them.

http://www.rcjuice.com/hobbystar-5200mah-11-1v-3s-45c-lipo-battery.html

There are no 3s hard packs that fit well, so if that's a concern for you, then you'll have to go with 2x 2s hard packs, or 1 big brick. Large heavy batteries will unbalance the truck.

Another consideration is that many of the less expensive LiPo chargers only go up to 4 cells, so 6s brick is out of the question unless you upgrade to a better charger.

Besides the reasons stated already, I like 2 packs because if you end up with a bad cell somewhere, you only have to replace 1 of 2 less expensive packs rather than the whole expensive brick.

HRB 5000 mah 6s. We get like 30 minutes or so. We are bored before it dies. Best value out there at 2 for 130.

HRB 5000 mah 6s. We get like 30 minutes or so. We are bored before it dies. Best value out there at 2 for 130.
I have the same lipos! I get around 25 mins of hard bashing with the 6S. The 4s is a little less. But, both are HRB soft packs from eBay. Very affordable!

@Camo 1000mah more gives you almost double run-time? Either way 6000mah for 45 minutes is more than I thought. I'm assuming having two 6000mah would double the run-time?

I'm having such a hard time figuring out what I want haha. Ideally I would go for 1x4S and 1x6S but my local store doesn't have high-capacity 6S'. That way I could have went light AND have the possibility to swap 4S for 6S.
The reason he gets more run time on the 6s is because you wont be using the battery all the time to its full potential like you would on the 4s. On the 4s you're more often having the truck full throttle since its way less power.

I switched to a single 6s pack, just because the 2 packs becomes a hassle and doesn't fit as easily. Got the HRB 5000mah and it's working great.

As far as basic upgrades, you need to get a Robinson Racing hardened pinion, and set the mesh properly. I would also recommend putting 100K diff oil in the center diff and the HR aluminum cup for the center. Add the Mugen diff shims in place of the stock Arrma shims, they're a bit thicker and make the diff mesh tighter. Add 2 of the bearing shims on the gear side of the front and rear diff, between the bearing and plastic diff case, that tightens the mesh of the input and ring gears. The 2nd upgrade purchase would be one of the many metal servo mount options, or the cheap DIY option with aluminum spacers in place of the plastc stock mount legs.

Just ordered an outcast and this battery/charger combo.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071...+lipo+7600&dpPl=1&dpID=6178coTrm8L&ref=plSrch

I hope I didn't make a mistake by going 3s packs instead of 2s.
Any advice so I don't destroy something on my first run?

I think u r going to be happy with your purchase, you'll get lots of power and run time, BUT those 7600mah are going to be HEAVY. I'd also add heavier weight shock oil, stiffer springs, and a heatsink with fan so u don't have heat issues due to your prolonged runs.

Trial and error....get one of each. :D $$$ Seriously..... I would start on 4S...get the truck sorted out...Ready to Runs always have issues and will need to be fine tuned as you go. 6S will bust everything fast for you. Once you learn the vehicle and how to work on it....pump it up to 6S. 4S should be very fun in a short wheel base truck anyway. 6S may get you pissed off at first. It will be super sensitive and powerful. Get use to the rig on 4S. I run 6S, 8S and 4S. My current rig is a 4S stunt truck and it's plenty in my back yard. I'll miss the big power out in the wide open. You also have to make sure you don't burn it all up on any amount of cells.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back